iPhone with working data on Movistar pre-paid

I assume this new Movistar data service works with any 3G/Edge phone? Very surprised Movistar didn't start this prepaid service ages ago.
I have a Nokia N95 8Gb, so I'll check. I'm positive it's capable.
But to be honest, with so many wifi hotspots around that we can latch onto (if you're in an urban zone) is it worth the extra expense?

Can't say for sure, but it seems that way. I'm using an unlocked/jailbroken iPhone 3Gs. Cant say whether its worth it for you, but has been for me while I've been traveling down here, especially for google maps.

For a little while I was roaming on Personal network too, not sure if that charged extra though.

Gulah said:
FYI, on movistar presently you can send a text with "D" to 2345 and get up to 1GB for 2 days for 9 pesos. A pretty good deal if you ask me. After my 2 days are up, I turn off data. When I need it again, i repurchase. Cheers.

Gulah, I also have an unlocked iPhone 3Gs and am looking to purchase a movistar pay as you go 3G SIM. Is this also what you are using with the data plan you describe above? It seems I will be here for at least 4 more months, to have a data enabled iPhone 3Gs, is this the best way to go? Just wanting to know if there exists other plans and options for this. And I live in Buenos Aires, if that, in any way, helps to optimize the decision.

Thanks.

Yes, that's what I'm using. The last SIM I purchased was 12 pesos. As far as whether that's the best way to go, I really couldn't tell you, sorry.

If anyone wants to buy my pre-pago SIM and phone number, let me know. I have $269 pesos of credit and I'll sell it for $200.

It has been cut for the iPhone 4 (micro SIM size), so you'll need a device that takes the micro SIM or a converter. I just got a full plan so no longer need this one.

Thanks for the reply, one last question, is there a specific pre-pago movistar SIM I should buy, or will any type work for both calls and data? I am interested in using the $9 pesos/day txt for data plan. Also, I purchased a movistar SIM quite some time ago on the train, and it doesn't seem to work, I never receive a signal. My old Claro SIM worked just fine (after having been activated in the Nokia that it was purchased with). Any thoughts on this?

nehalecky said:
Thanks for the reply, one last question, is there a specific pre-pago movistar SIM I should buy, or will any type work for both calls and data? I am interested in using the $9 pesos/day txt for data plan. Also, I purchased a movistar SIM quite some time ago on the train, and it doesn't seem to work, I never receive a signal. My old Claro SIM worked just fine (after having been activated in the Nokia that it was purchased with). Any thoughts on this?

You'll want to make sure they give you one that's 3G for faster data speeds obviously, not sure if they all are or not.

The sims die after 4 months of inactivity. When I got back down here I tried my old one, received no signal, and was convinced my soft unlock wasn't working. Went through the hassle of restoring my phone just to find out that a new sim worked fine, and that they cancel them after 4 months.

Back