Is anyone going to Colonia anytime soon?

I also enjoyed Colonia very much as well, quaint and picturesque. For a day trip at least. It was also during a warmer month too.

About paying the overstay fee, personally not sure about that. I'd gather a person is still technically in violation and I wonder if this might count against someone down the road wanting to return to Argentina.
If on the books it's just more of a type of surcharge and not actually violating a law, then that's another story.

Would be much easier and simple though. As well as less back and forth stamps crowding up someone's passport for not any real type of travel.

P.S., I wonder how expats in the interior handle this. More expensive to do border crossings from there.

Matt84 said:
the cultural load on this issues is immense.

wine is of paramount holy importance in Judaism and Catholicism. And wine, and alcohol can thoroughly destroy the body (and mind).

Weed was probably of paramount religious or magic importance for the pre Christian pagans. It induces some idiocy, but even modern medicine sees more medical benefits in MJ than the cholesterol controlling properties of a tablespoon of liquor or the 'tannins' in red wine.

Of course as a drug, alcohol wins, you can get really f--ked with that and be sure that you'll fall asleep (maybe forever).

Today in Uruguay the ex Communist government might be trying to eliminate or alleviate a system that criminalized poverty because kids from poor backgrounds don't have private property to toke freely, whereas the kids of Paez Vilaro can do the same freely in their beachfront acres.

All in all it's good to see that a thread about someone asking for honest simple help has taken the traditional BAX turn.

i was thinking the same thing LOL

Getting back to the question about the possibility of the exit fee/fine increasing dramatically in the future...

In 2006 the fee/fine was $50 pesos.

It increased to $300 two or three years ago.

Since then immigration officials have been given "police powers" to enforce the "rules" as they deem appropriate, but there have only been a few cases where expats had problems and (as far as I know) these were cases of individuals who had been in Argentina for about five years and were trying to regularize their status without being able to comply with the current regulations.

There was a rumor about a year ago that the overstay fine was going to increase to $500 pesos. It hasn't happened yet. The next increase will come without warning and could be much higher.

From a legal standpoint, going to Colonia to get a new toursit visa is meaningless and in the future might be counter-productive (if and when someone is denied reentry).

steveinbsas said:
From a legal standpoint, going to Colonia to get a new toursit visa is meaningless

Steve can you clarify this? I went to Colonia 2 weeks ago and got a new 90 day stamp. Are you saying this has no value and that I'll still have to pay the fine when I exit?

I understand the point that immigration can turn you away if they want, so going to Colonia has no guarantee of getting a new stamp, but surely once you've got it you're ok for another 90 days?

pompeygazza said:
Steve can you clarify this? I went to Colonia 2 weeks ago and got a new 90 day stamp. Are you saying this has no value and that I'll still have to pay the fine when I exit?

I understand the point that immigration can turn you away if they want, so going to Colonia has no guarantee of getting a new stamp, but surely once you've got it you're ok for another 90 days?

I am not saying you will have to pay a fee when you leave if your latest visa has not expired. You won't.

When they give you a new stamp you are good for another 90 days.

But they don't have to give you another stamp and they could deny you reentry.

So why go to Colonia if it isn't necessary...and Argentina has the most "foreigner friendly" immigration policies in the world?

Especially if your are already here...and apply for citizenship.

If you are only here for a visit I hope you can accept the fact that your rights are limited...to some extent...(but far less than most other countries).

Back