Is BsAs that dangerous??

I am of the opinion now that citygirl and her circle of friends are having way more fun here than I and my acquaintances are, which must be why they are in such constant danger from criminal activity. I suppose I can thank the basic boredom of my days and especially nights to account for why I, nor anyone I know, has been a victim of any crime here ... except the eternal and always vigilant bird poopers, and in that case, most of us have been victims at least once. I suppose there's a trade-off: go out on the town, roam around everywhere, hang out in the wee hours, and you are going to be a victim; or just walk to some cafe and back late mornings, stroll in the park only with the mobs on Sundays, go the grocery shopping in daylight, and watch TV at home at night, and avoid all that crime. If I were young and perky, I'd chance the crime. Instead, I live safely and boringly.

Sleuth said:
- Rolex stolen off a friend's wrist and his ear slashed when he resisted (citygirl's friend too)
- Texas woman who had Rolex ripped off her wrist on Santa Fe in the middle of the day

So I guess that's where Ricardo Fort gets all his rolexes ;)

gunt86 said:
BsAs is a 15 million person city

Correction: Buenos Aires is only 3 million people -- ie about the same population as Montreal.

Greater Buenos Aires (which expands it out to Zonas Norte, Oeste, Sud) is 13 million.

The city proper is not as big as most people assume.

I probably shouldn't feel the need to defend myself but I will. I am neither that young nor out in clubs every night. And none of the examples I posted were a result of crazy or dangerous behavior - unless you consider walking on the street in the daytime, visiting a friend or going home having "way too much fun." (I will agree that the friend DaVe and I share shouldn't have been wearing a Rolex!)

I shared my experiences after living here - that's it. People obviously have other experiences, and if you've noticed, I have said with all seriousness - that is great.

What I find offensive is the tone of some posts that someone I or my friends deserved it because of our behavior or because I/we live in Belgrano or Palermo. Not so much.

And LMAO at the "sex and the city" lifestyle. Yep, that's me alright:rolleyes:

fred mertz said:
Have you considered studying Spanish in Spain? Barcelona is probably the most beautiful city in Europe or even the world. They speak REAL Spanish (and Catalan, but that's another story) There are many schools and individuals to teach you. Probably much safer than BA. Madrid and Valencia are other good choices. Spain is also closer to Poland.
"They speak REAL Spanish" excusme, I did not we spoke here a fake language. Suggesting study in Barcelona is actually something that I would not recommed as they do not like speaking spanish there, simply because they prefer their own language "catalán". On the other hand, your comment is like saying "you should learn in the UK and not in the US as they, in the UK, speak "real" english..." there is not a "real" language anymore...knowing some linguistics might help understand this...there are differences in languages...

syngirl said:
Correction: Buenos Aires is only 3 million people -- ie about the same population as Montreal.

Greater Buenos Aires (which expands it out to Zonas Norte, Oeste, Sud) is 13 million.

The city proper is not as big as most people assume.

Correction of a mis-correction:

What is the population of Buenos Aires?

Around 13 million, including the surrounding areas that make of the Capital Federal.

Still Buenos Aires after the outside perimeter of the General Paz Avenue and the Riachuelo.

What you are talking about is the Federal District (Capital Federal) but the immediate surroundings or the metropolitan area still belongs and is part of the city Santa Maria de los Buenos Ayres.

And the population is by now probably more than 14.000.000 people, so Montreal is not more than a beautiful little town bordered by the St. Lawrence River and lakes. :D

And the population is by now probably more than 14.000.000 people, so Montreal is not more than a beautiful little town bordered by the St. Lawrence River and lakes.

Agreed, to talk of 3 million is talking purely of an administrative boundary - if you want to refer to things pertaining to the GCBA then fine (but even they have to deal with around 6 million people coming into CF from the periphery each working day), if you want to talk about crime I don't see how you can wave the other 11 million people away with a magic wand because they live on the other side of a line drawn on a map.

I dont think that BsAs is "that" dangerous but you can always improve your own skills on how to deal with potentially dangerous situations.

So for anyone who is interested in weekend self defence classes - We cover the fundamentals on what is ‘street smart’ before letting loose with a bit of energy on the boxing bags. Good fun and a great work out!
The course is in English and taught by an enthusiastic teacher who is a 2nd dan karate black belt and South American kick boxing gold medallist.
If you want more details PM me.

pauper said:
Agreed, to talk of 3 million is talking purely of an administrative boundary - if you want to refer to things pertaining to the GCBA then fine (but even they have to deal with around 6 million people coming into CF from the periphery each working day), if you want to talk about crime I don't see how you can wave the other 11 million people away with a magic wand because they live on the other side of a line drawn on a map.

lol -- that may be true, but let's face it, most tourists coming here don't even realise that the city is more than Palermo, Recoleta, San Telmo, and Puerto Madero.

Considering most of the crimes on the news the past week took place in Palermo and Recoleta, we could essentially be talkinag about X number of violent crimes in an area of probably what, 1 million people? I have no idea what the pop. of those barrios alone would be.

My point is that most of the crime makng the news headlines lately is taking place well inside the General Paz, well inside the 3 million population mark. Apart from the shooting in La Plata I think all the crime I listed were inside G Paz (I'd have to go back and look).

In fact most crimes against my friends have taken place probably within a 30 block radius. You know those websites in the States that put a google tag marker for every crime.... here in Capital if we tried to use those I think the map would be obliterated by the red arrows...

Back