Is Buenos Aires a Third World City?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh..crime is increasing. In Olivos, my friend who lives five blocks from me has had her house rob in daylight. Her daughter sitting in a cafe shop with a friend near the Presidents house, was robbed at 3 p.m. Her son who was getting on the train in Olivos was robbed. They told Paco, "It is okay he has a 30 pages of robbiers, so he will be out in three days." The police caught that guy and released him. One of our other neighbors were rob. In Martinez the crime is increasing. They have had protest about it, but nothing is getting done. Luckily, our house hasn't been robbed but we have been scooped out.

There's been a recent topic on crime here: http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/5110-do-fears-crime-argentina-reflect-reality.html

When I started this post I was more interested in people's impressions of what a third world country or city were. Because you will often hear people say or write that this city is a third world city. It seems the terms are anachronistic, but because they are still commonly used it of interest what people mean if they say this or that city is a third world city.

Recoleta Carolina said:
I know that this remark has to be sarcastic. Just checking. :)

No I am with this with Pericles. Figuring the good shape the hospitals and schools are and that there are plenty of jobs so you will see a new wave of immigration to the south.

There is plenty of food as well

BlahBlah said:
No I am with this with Pericles. Figuring the good shape the hospitals and schools are and that there are plenty of jobs so you will see a new wave of immigration to the south.

There is plenty of food as well

We could use a new wave of Italian immigrants in order that the cooking skills be refreshed...

Don't forget some Mexican immigrants..for some good food. I keep telling my fellow students that Argentina is much better than Mexico and they can get better health care.

Joe said:
We could use a new wave of Italian immigrants in order that the cooking skills be refreshed...

How long have you been living in BA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlah
How long have you been living in BA?

I think I know where Joe is coming from. The barrio of Pueyrredon (to name just one I am familiar with) is packed with Italian Argentines - so much so that during the Italian elections, campaining and poster displays filled the streets and the billboards. (people of Italian descent have a right to vote in Italian elections wherever they live, or so I understand) If you want top quality Italian food, the way they used to make it fifty years ago, head on out to Pueyrredon.

But that's the point: fifty years ago is the point. Immigrant communities anywhere, have always tended to preserve the practices and traditions of their own culture as they were at the time of migration. Maybe Joe is used to modern Italian cuisine, as practiced today in Italy. In which case the old fashioned Italian food he can find in Pueyrredon and elsewhere in BsAs won't be his thing.

There are 500.000 Italians living in Argentina, in 5 to 10 years there are probally over a million

BlahBlah said:
There are 500.000 Italians living in Argentina, in 5 to 10 years there are probally over a million

BlahBlah.....They are half the population of Argentina right now....plus one

Do not take my words for it asks any folk with an Italian surname. :D

Lucas said:
BlahBlah.....They are half the population of Argentina right now....plus one

Do not take my words for it asks any folk with an Italian surname. :D

A little more then 50% has Italian heritage, but not everybody with Italian heritage can get an Italian citizenship, not everybody applied and there is a long waitinglist at the consulates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back