Is buenos aires dangerous? Kidnappings & muggings: 2010 update

Kidnappings: No, not right now.

Muggings: Yes, it's become a right of passage.

Napolean... have three friends, one was kidnapped and killed, second was a failed kidnapping attempt, third was a kidnapping and ransom. It is happening more frequently

Oh. I thought that was 2002/2003.

I didn't realize that it was back. That's a bummer. :-(

its not that bad yet.. i tried to describe that in the article but I can already see a significant difference in just 3 months. doesn't bode well for the future. Still time to visit though :)

WanderingTrader said:
Napolean... have three friends, one was kidnapped and killed, second was a failed kidnapping attempt, third was a kidnapping and ransom. It is happening more frequently

Wandering Trader, sorry for your loss. Did this happen recently? Was it in the Capital Federal? Thanks. I had no idea that kidnappings occurred here.

Obviously there is a super-band targetting your area, probably connected to the local police station. And no, it is very uncommon in Buenos Aires, and it will not reach the levels of 2002-2003 again, at least for the next years. In fact, if you are not part of the high-class, and you do not live in a "favela" there will be no reason at all why you should be a victim. Kidnappers (maybe a group or two of ex-cops) do not target tourists for obvious reasons: difficult to get the ransom.

Come and enjoy (but still do not flash your big camera everywhere as if BA was Sweden).

marksoc said:
Come and enjoy (but still do not flash your big camera everywhere as if BA was Sweden).
They don't try to steal your camera in Sweden, but these days they try to blow you up.

For avid shutterbugs, it's debatable which is worse.

Back