Is It Democratic To Elect A Dictator Or A Lunatic ?

Who voted in Greece?

It's true we idealize Greece, and even Rome, an awful lot, but there are good reasons. They came up with a lot of things before us, but they didn't exactly perfect it. And of course, neither have we.

In Greece, free men voted, and also participated in juries of their peers in legal matters. Wonderful ideas in and of themselves. But the idealized idea of ancient Greek society may be a little different than the actuality as well. For one thing, the populations weren't in the millions, much less tens or hundreds of millions. They all pretty much thought the same way - most of the immigrants were slaves or certainly not citizens, like store owners and such. Most of the free men citizens were warriors. They had a direct stake in everything they did. They were as learned of their world as they needed to be help make decisions.

Rome formed a Republic as a form of democratic representation, but even then we are really only talking about representation of the "familied" people (not even necessarily wealthy, although wealthy non-familied people could certainly buy influence), with marginal representation of the lower classes barely included,at least at the upper levels of politics. The lower classes were supposedly satisfied by games and giving away food and gold and such.

The idea that an electorate cannot be trusted to be educated enough to choose its own leaders in a reasonably wise manner is scary to me. That tells me that people who are reasonably intelligent are willing to give up their freedoms to ignorance - even a Republic is not proof against such ignorance. A Republic is only meant to be a buffer against wild swings, not against a slowly building ignorance that threatens the stability of the Republic.

That doesn't mean that each and every person who votes has to be a completely well-informed person. But a good majority of voters sure as hell should be well-informed. And I'm not talking about informed on political sciences, but rather they understand what's going on in their world, not at a superficial level, but at a deeper level. Political conscience should be the concern of the majority, not a small group of people.

The whole idea of not having tests or other conditions for the right to vote has obvious problems within a democratic republic. But I can certainly understand the sentiment even though I can't quite agree with it.

I do believe there should be some fair manner to limit the voting franchise, but I don't know what that would be. Robert Heinlein (another of my favorite science fiction writers) proposed that only people who have given service to their country in some fashion should be eligible to vote. That included military and civilian service of some sort. I've heard other people propose similar things with an addition - only taxpayers should have the right to vote.

The bigger a country, the more diverse, the more differently people in that country see things, the less cohesive and the more likely a dictatorship of the masses is likely to be the case. Personally, I think less government and smaller autonomous governmental entities is at least part of the answer. I still think that a democratic republic is the best form of government so far encountered and is much more easily achievable with smaller populations who are fairly agreeable about what they want.

I'm not sure why you think we can't expect citizens to be politically literate. Both the state and society put many burdens and expectations on the citizens, and in many cases rightfully so, there is no reason why political literacy should not be added to the list!

You can expect, but that does not make it so. Sounds like wishful thinking, or perhaps idealism...or are those the same thing?

You can expect, but that does not make it so. Sounds like wishful thinking, or perhaps idealism...or are those the same thing?

Ahh no, I don't think the general populations will take their democratic responsibilities seriously at all, don't get me wrong. I also think its unlikely the politicians will take their responsibilities as public servant seriously, rather than the self serving cabals that they are.

It's far more likely that as the majority of people continue on the trajectories of either becoming apathetic or following some zealots' rhetoric that our developed world societies will slide further and further away from a beneficial and just trajectory of social organisation and that at some point this will reach a tipping point. In all likelyhood this tipping point will not end well.

As I said before, deeply unfortunate, but as a species we reap as we sow :)

Early in USA history voting was limited to property owners. Some states made that easy by selling people tiny plots of land for pennies. The idea behind such things, like for Rome and Greece was 'skin in the game'. Those people with a real vested interest in the outcome of elections are more likely to make the effort to understand things before they vote, and even more likely to vote.

Of course in modern times I don't think it really matters as much. With the rise of the bureaucracy it does not matter so much who is at the helm of the modern ship of state. The man or woman in charge can in the end only do what the crew is willing to cooperate with. The crew as a whole has its best interest in growing their own size and power, thus the government power and control will grow, maybe fast, maybe slow.

I don't believe that voting in today's presidential elections really makes that much of a difference. The special interests and oligarchs that run the show will always make sure that whichever candidate wins, he/she will do what's best for the status quo and the establishment.

The joke is on the people who believe they can make a difference when in reality all they have is false choice. They choose between left vs. right who square off against each other in a show of Kabuki theater, not comprehending that both candidates are already owned and controlled. And on and on this charade goes with both sides blaming the other for the country's ills; all while keeping the public locked into the false paradigm of left vs. right, never seeing the forest for the trees.

Meanwhile, the more things change the more they stay the same, unless of course they change for the continued benefit of the ruling class and to the detriment of the middle class and working poor.

I don't believe that voting in today's presidential elections really makes that much of a difference. The special interests and oligarchs that run the show will always make sure that whichever candidate wins, he/she will do what's best for the status quo and the establishment.

The joke is on the people who believe they can make a difference when in reality all they have is false choice. They choose between left vs. right who square off against each other in a show of Kabuki theater, not comprehending that both candidates are already owned and controlled. And on and on this charade goes with both sides blaming the other for the country's ills; all while keeping the public locked into the false paradigm of left vs. right, never seeing the forest for the trees.

Meanwhile, the more things change the more they stay the same, unless of course they change for the continued benefit of the ruling class and to the detriment of the middle class and working poor.

Does the paper thin industrial Argentina tin foil work as well as the heavy gauge stuff back home?

Does the paper thin industrial Argentina tin foil work as well as the heavy gauge stuff back home?

Haha, you are obviously a member of the public that I mentioned which is caught in the false paradigm. How's that working out for you? Please, don't be so naive phil. If voting really made any kind of a difference then we wouldn't be allowed to do it.

An uneducated mob will invariably elect a dictator or a lunatic. The only hope is to strive for a more educated populace.

Not sure how much of a deciding factor that really is. In the 1930s, the Germans were pretty much the most educated people in the world at the time, and we all know how that turned out. There is no doubt that Argentines are, on average, much better educated than Brazilians. Yet, in terms of electing leaders, we did on average a much better job than they did (although our record is still abysmal).

If voting really made any kind of a difference then we wouldn't be allowed to do it.

Blah blah blah.

If you really think advances in healthcare, education, human rights, equality etc all would have happened irrespective of who was in office you are spectacularly missing the point of taking part in the democratic process. True, there are many things voting will not change - but there are many things it can, and those things matter. Maybe not to you, but they sure as shit do to others.

Back