Is It Possible To Find Love In Argentina?

She was not mentally ill, either, but she fit the description of a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies like a glove.

Steve, you say these women were not mentally ill, but going by what you have written here and in the past about the first one, I would say she absolutely was. I'm no phD or mental health professional so take what I say with a big grain of salt since I'm obviously not qualified to make any sort of diagnosis, but I have had people in my life who were diagnosed with personality disorders and they are more common than one might think. Out of respect to these people I won't get into more details, but yeah, it's very confusing and painful when you are clueless as to what is causing their extreme and totally unwarranted behavior. Genetics and environmental factors play a role. Some are more common than others, and some are seen more in women while others are seen more in men. Perhaps if you search for the DSM criteria for borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder or even antisocial personality disorder (the rare true sociopath) you might recognize the bullet points. May even help with the screenplay. ;)

I just Googled "trastornos de personalidad tratamiento Buenos Aires" because I just love torturing myself and found some ridiculous article in La Nación with interviewed "professionals" spouting a bunch of nonsense about how rising rates of borderline personality disorder have to do with postmodernity and women suffer more because of those pesky hormones. The actual list of potential causes accepted by the rest of the world isn't mentioned until halfway through the article. So one can imagine that with all the Freudian/Lacanian psychoanalytical NONSENSE that grips the mental health community in Argentina, few people are really getting help, even those who seek it out.

You were physically and emotionally abused, and there is no excuse for that kind of behavior whether the person suffers from mental illness or not.

Steve,

Whoa, that's intense. OTOH, I had an American GF try to push me down three flights of concrete stairs, while I was carrying furniture for her.

To go out on a limb, is it possible that a portion of the Argentine population is suffering a delayed form of collective PTSD from the años oscuros ? I mean, there would have to be some effects from such a prolonged and traumatic experience, not to mention the 30 years of economic hardship which have been inflicted upon them since then.

Understand, it is not my intention to be in any way condescending, patronising, or dismissive. I speak in all sincere sympathy.

I met an Argentine woman the first week I was in BA in 2006. She was 15 years younger then me and had recently retired from her "night job" of dancing stage tango at Cafe Tortoni (her day job was working as a systems analyst). On the very first morning we woke up together (actually I woke up first and started my laptop), upon hearing the "chimes" as Windows started, she suddenly became so ill that she could not go to work. She started crying and told me that the mornings were for "the couple to be in the bed together" and not for me to be using the computer.

That morning she revealed to me that she had a previous American boyfriend that she met when giving tango lessons in BA. She moved to Chicago to live with him but he was a boozer who worked from his apartment as a systems analyst, locking himself in the second bedroom of his apartment , spending all day on the computer and drinking beer. She was not allowed to do anything except to go for walks in the neighborhood, especially going to the nearby supermarket to buy more beer.

On three occasions she became physically violent. The fist time she slapped my on the side of the head, "boxing" my left ear which resulted in partial (and permanent) hearing loss. The second time she threw two " small" bronze sculptures that bounced off my leg and damaged the floor in my first and only rental apartment. Less than ten minutes later (while continuing her tirade) she actually lapsed into a "mini-coma" and I had to call an ambulance and have her taken to the hospital where they "revived" her an hour later. The last time she was violent (which was also the last day I ever saw her) she twisted my right ear until it bled.

For those who want to know the "reasons" she became violent:

1. I made an offer to buy a house in Tigre less than a month after we first met and did not consult her first because she was in Spain at the time. She became violent upon seeing the "reservado" for the real estate purchase after she returned to Argentina.

2. I went to AFIP and got a CDI (on my own).

3. I asked her if she would take care of my Chihuahua while I went to Bariloche to look at property.

She also told me that I would go to jail for "washing the money" if I did not transfer the funds to buy an apartment or house directly into the bank account of her lawyer friend and that I could not legally buy any property unless her name was also on the title.

She was actually threatened by my ipod because it was "only for one person." I don't think she was mentally ill, but it was clear that she was emotionally unstable.

I met a second Argentine woman last year. She was not mentally ill, either, but she fit the description of a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies like a glove. She had undergone numerous plastic surgeries, had "regular" injections of Botox, and even had "stem cell therapy" (which made her look very good for a woman of "53" years).

After seven months she revealed that she was ten years older the her "stated" age (as if the truth was optional) and was actually (by then) 64. There is a great deal more to the story but I'm not ready to reveal it here. I'm writing a screenplay about finding "love" in Argentina. Hopefully, I will be able to get the film shot entirely on location in Argentina with an Argentine cast and crew...and with a few expats from this site appearing in cameo roles as themselves.

Sounds like you've been hooking up with Ayn Rand.

Perhaps if you search for the DSM criteria for borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder or even antisocial personality disorder (the rare true sociopath) you might recognize the bullet points. May even help with the screenplay. ;)

You were physically and emotionally abused, and there is no excuse for that kind of behavior whether the person suffers from mental illness or not.

Thanks for your kind words. About two months ago i googled the term/exp<b></b>ression "narcissistic sociopath" and began to realize that was the kind of woman I was dealing with, at least in regard to the one who is now 64 years old. She continues to advertise her "stated age" as 54 years on a Latin dating website and is "searching" for men from 49 to 64 years. Imagine a 49 year old man eventually discovering that she is not five years older than she is, but fifteen years older! She also asks men to respect her preferences.

In my profile I made it clear that I was searching for woman from 43 to 53 years of age. She obviously did not respect my preferences, but that was of no importance to her. She also made it clear that she wanted an HONEST man. Nothing in my profile could have been construed to have been the slightest exaggeration and i did not misrepresent my age, height, or weight. Yes, she also lied about her height and weight. I know from "hands on" experience that the is a significant difference between 5'8"/125lbs and 5'6"/140lbs.

In additon, she describles herself as "genuine, down to earth, and honorable." She was born in Argentina but moved to the USA when she was 14. She indicates her nationality as American and speaks with a fairly thick Argentine accent which usually got even thicker when she was challenged (confronted with the truth) or if I dasagred with her. She is capable of sounding almost like a native born American when she is acting or recording a voice mail greeting. As i previously indicated, there is SO much more to the story than this. A total of eleven months of deception and emotional abuse (which i am saving for the screenplay).

To go out on a limb, is it possible that a portion of the Argentine population is suffering a delayed form of collective PTSD from the años oscuros ? I mean, there would have to be some effects from such a prolonged and traumatic experience, not to mention the 30 years of economic hardship which have been inflicted upon them since then.

The first Argentine woman with whom I had a close encounter of the bizarre kind (2006) grew up in Argentina and was only nine years old when the "dark times" began. Her older brother won a million pesos (when the dollar and peso were one to one) on a TV quiz show and has been a physicain in NYC for decades. The family has never suffered financially and lived without fear of the military government..

The second Argentine woman (we first "met" on line in early January 2013) moved to the USA in 1964 and hasn´t lived n Argentina since. She describes herself as a "self made" woman and the first time I googled her name I saw the detiails of a stock sale that made her a mulitmillionaire. One of the first emails she ever sent to me included a link to the Dupont Registry website that linked directly to the listing of her 3.1 million dollar condo in North Miami Beach.

The first Argentine woman with whom I had a close encounter of the bizarre kind ...
(above quote heavily edited for brevity)

Possum's Three Rules for Bachelors

1) No cheating.
2) No married women.
3) Never sleep with any woman crazier than you are.

But yeah, point taken. My suggested hypothesis fails to be validated by available evidence.

The second Argentine woman (we first "met" on line in early January 2013) moved to the USA in 1964 and hasn´t lived n Argentina since. She describes herself as a "self made" woman and the first time I googled her name I saw the detiails of a stock sale that made her a mulitmillionaire. One of the first emails she ever sent to me included a link to the Dupont Registry website that linked directly to the listing of her 3.1 million dollar condo in North Miami Beach.

So do you still connected with this muti-millionaire, Mina Argentina ?

Back