Is Speaking Spanish A Necessity?

This is a great opportunity for you. You will appreciate and embrace the challenge of learning spanish and it will be a great life experience. Do it.

is spanish needed??....only if you want to talk to people..... haha

I worked for 2 years in a large computer service company here...even though i was in the english section everyone spoke in spanish 90% of the time.... but on the phone used english when needed for meetings and calls back to the usa or india...... but very little english was really spoken in the workplace.... I think you really need to get learning some spanish... mine still sucks by the way.... but you time will be much easier and more rewarding if you get some spanish down before you arrive...

Why would you not learn spanish if you are staying here for more than a short vacation? I lived in italy, learned italian, lived in england, improved my english, lived here learned spanish (well castellano to be accurate).

If you want to learn about the culture, if you want to hang out with locals, if you want something more than what the average tourist get you need to speak the language. Even if they speak english it's not the same for them being able to speak in their native language.

And the incredible self-boost you get when you get to the point where you understand advanced jokes, or wake up an realized that you had a dream in Spanish (or whatever language you are learning) is well worth it, it's an incredible feeling knowing that you have (finally) "mastered" another language. Also being able to read literature in it's original language is something incredible - a translated version is never the same.

I hate to disagree with some of these smart people here but I know people who have been here for perhaps four years and speak very little Spanish. When I first came to South America, knew a tiny bit of Spanish. I could order a meal, but Heaven help me if they asked to clarify anything. Lots of times when they realized they couldn't they just shrugged and went on. It always turned out okay Same in the grocery store. Of course things are MUCH better now for me, but that was then.

Is the goal to move to another country and never even bother to learn the language spoken there? Almost every week there are posts asking where to find a hairdresser, personal trainer, lawyer, real estate agent, yoga instructor or doctor that speaks English. Here's a wild idea. Try to make an effort to learn Spanish. Personally I think it's disrespectful to the locals to not even try to learn Castellano. Yes, you can "get by" speaking a basic level of Spanish, but if you're goal is to live here in Argentina and immerse yourself in the culture you will seriously limit yourself if you can't communicate on a level deeper and more meaningful than being able to just order a toasted ham and cheese sandwich at a cafe restaurant or buy groceries. You'll miss out on the jokes, humor and sarcasm that's typical of the Argentines. Some of my friends here can't go to the movies unless we go to an American movie, or to the theater, and they can't participate in many of the activities that we enjoy.

As I’ve said before I am willing to learn the language as I don’t want to rely on people speaking to me in English and I want to talk in the national tongue. I’m only asking about the level of English speaking as I’m trying to judge how difficult the first few months will be when I’m settling in and when my competency with Castellano will be close to zero.

Is the goal to move to another country and never even bother to learn the language spoken there? Almost every week there are posts asking where to find a hairdresser, personal trainer, lawyer, real estate agent, yoga instructor or doctor that speaks English. Here's a wild idea. Try to make an effort to learn Spanish. Personally I think it's disrespectful to the locals to not even try to learn Castellano. Yes, you can "get by" speaking a basic level of Spanish, but if you're goal is to live here in Argentina and immerse yourself in the culture you will seriously limit yourself if you can't communicate on a level deeper and more meaningful than being able to just order a toasted ham and cheese sandwich at a cafe restaurant or buy groceries. You'll miss out on the jokes, humor and sarcasm that's typical of the Argentines. Some of my friends here can't go to the movies unless we go to an American movie, or to the theater, and they can't participate in many of the activities that we enjoy.

Mclivar, judging from nlaruccia's response to my post, perhaps I didn't read your original post carefully. I didn't intend to suggest you not learn any Spanish. I thought you said clearly that you are willing to learn and that your question is just whether you should come since you don't speak Spanish. My answer was Yes! nlaruccia is right about missing out on a lot if you don't learn the language. But I still think you'd enjoy being here either way. .

I will tell you another story. I have a friend who has been here 14 years. When she came she knew not a word of Spanish and was in an area where ONLY Spanish was spoken. She told me it was tough but in a year she was completely conversational. She learned on her own at first and when she had a modicum of Spanish (which you can do quickly), she enrolled in a University course for English speakers. But with only Spanish speakers she had no choice but to only try to speak Spanish. I myself have in mind the University course. So the situation you are describing might be better for you than all my English speaking Argentina friends have been for me (though I sure appreciate them!) I am still not really conversational.

As long as your job does not require Spanish and you will be able to function at work, that's the main thing. I think it will be a great experience. But a serious word of warning here! Sometimes people come to Argentina for a year and something strange happens. They never leave! :)

I think it can depend on your personality too. If you are gregarious, like to be involved in conversations you will probably just naturally integrate and begin to pick it up. If you are an introvert, your introversion will be significantly amplified. The more you are in groups of people and the conversation sounds like an unintelligible chirping of birds, the more tangible your isolation will become.

Seems it is common knowledge that prisoners do not want to be put in isolation, that it wears on the soul. I always used to wonder why would it be so much more desirable to keep the company of criminals than to be alone with your own thoughts or perhaps a good book... wait... this metaphor is clearly falling apart at the seams. I didn't mean to imply... never mind.

But seriously, you will be missing out on so much of the potential of the experience if you do not invest some time in learning the language. Good luck!!

I dont think he never said anything about not trying?

Plus, I think you have to be a little more respectful of different peoples situations. For a lot of people, its not so easy - for eg I met an expat the other day who has been here for 2 years, and he gets by but really struggles. Works all day in english (with mainly other expats), has a family, lives out in La Provincia. Tries to do a lot of reading etc but doesnt have much time to attend classes and thus doesnt practice enough talking and listening. Hes an engineer, an intelligent guy. I reckon for him he would need atleast another 2 years before he got to a decent level, although he really wants to learn.

My point is, yes there are people that perhaps dont put much effort in, but perhaps for others its not so easy, they dont have Argentine partners etc or a lot of time to really integrate, they didnt come here with Spanish etc. Everyones situation is different.

Having said that, its obvious that it greatly enriches ones experience by putting an effort in and trying to learn the language, albeit I think most expats already know that :p

Money is important, get the right balance of funny argie money - for living expenses and taxes- and USD bills -not in bank accounts. Would advise against european currency since there's small interest on those. Easier to trade USD almost anywhere here.

Disagree. Euros are available in most cuevas at the same spread as the dollar, as well as reais. Pounds may be more of an issue, though that doesn't mean it's impossible to find a cueva that will exchange them for the same spread.

Disagree. Euros are available in most cuevas at the same spread as the dollar, as well as reais. Pounds may be more of an issue, though that doesn't mean it's impossible to find a cueva that will exchange them for the same spread.

I think USDs are easier, on the whole though. Btw, are you referring to Arbolitos o Cuevas?

Back