Is The Economy Dead In Argentina?

Sitting in an airport waiting for my flight to board. Ain't technology awesome. No need to waste a minute. One can work all the time if one chooses. Or one can chat with friends.

I want to add something. Argentina friends tell me NO ONE is your friend most of the time. They all act sweet but they are not and if you are friends with someone for three years and you see nothing to betray that it is not real then maybe . . . maybe . . . you can count them as a friend. When I couldn't get my internet back, I could not get my landlady to help me and it was all in her name. One day she came by and said she was going to help me and I started to cry. It was really just pure frustration and I told her it is too late now, No tengo prisa - I am not in a hurry. When she saw the tears she got upset, went out the door and was back within an hour with a man to fix the problem (the problem was in the building, not Fibertel). Within another hour it was fixed and she called Fibertel for me.

My Argentina friend (the one who says he is leaving over the Clarin and other issues)said don't think that she cares. If she cared she would have done it a lot sooner. You made her feel uncomfortable when she saw the tears and they do not like to be uncomfortable. He had been trying for a long time to convince me I had to "yell" as he said.. You can't get anything done in Argentina until you yell. But then he said the tears would do the same thing, make her uncomfortable.

I asked him if he had a theory about what has made Argentina this way. He said he thinks they have been through so much that they have blocked out the idea of real friendship as a protection mechanism. If they don't really care, they don't feel a much pain. I'd be interested in input from other native Argentininians on this if anyone has any.

Miss Arlean

This post I like that you write as it has some truth in the culture of Buenos Aires today.

Sitting in an airport waiting for my flight to board. Ain't technology awesome. No need to waste a minute. One can work all the time if one chooses. Or one can chat with friends.

I want to add something. Argentina friends tell me NO ONE is your friend most of the time. They all act sweet but they are not and if you are friends with someone for three years and you see nothing to betray that it is not real then maybe . . . maybe . . . you can count them as a friend. When I couldn't get my internet back, I could not get my landlady to help me and it was all in her name. One day she came by and said she was going to help me and I started to cry. It was really just pure frustration and I told her it is too late now, No tengo prisa - I am not in a hurry. When she saw the tears she got upset, went out the door and was back within an hour with a man to fix the problem (the problem was in the building, not Fibertel). Within another hour it was fixed and she called Fibertel for me.

My Argentina friend (the one who says he is leaving over the Clarin and other issues)said don't think that she cares. If she cared she would have done it a lot sooner. You made her feel uncomfortable when she saw the tears and they do not like to be uncomfortable. He had been trying for a long time to convince me I had to "yell" as he said.. You can't get anything done in Argentina until you yell. But then he said the tears would do the same thing, make her uncomfortable.

I asked him if he had a theory about what has made Argentina this way. He said he thinks they have been through so much that they have blocked out the idea of real friendship as a protection mechanism. If they don't really care, they don't feel a much pain. I'd be interested in input from other native Argentininians on this if anyone has any.

I find this terrible. How do you make friends in a place like this? Maintain friends with foreigners?

Miss Arlean

This post I like that you write as it has some truth in the culture of Buenos Aires today.

Is it a surprise that nobody wants to be Sami's friend? (Sorry, that was just too easy).

Is it a surprise that nobody wants to be Sami's friend? (Sorry, that was just too easy).

Mr compulsive ,obsessive , psychotic, histronic man cannot leave me alone for a few days. I know it must get to you that you have not achieved the success in your life that you expected and the only way you can get some fame is harassing me and others on this forum .

Yet another cheap shot by the forum's very own cheap shot artist. You come across as a bully. Bullys are punks. Are you a punk? Nah, no need to answer that.

Yet another cheap shot by the forum's very own cheap shot artist. You come across as a bully. Bullys are punks. Are you a punk? Nah, no need to answer that.

Thank you for this Mr Twin. I believe that the publisher of his books should know the kind of bully that he is. He does not deserve any respect of the reading public if he treats people in such a dictatorial fashion.

Bullies are the most insecure creatures ever to exist. Bullying is only a way to cover up their own shortcomings and insecurities. That being said.. I think the post about how people don't make REAL friends MUST be a B.A. thing. I've heard so much from Argentinians from other cities about how they don't feel right in B.A. and with porteños. The thing is, the city is amazing and I've always been a big city guy or at least a suburb of a big city guy. I don't trust too many people too easily but it's sad how a situation like a hostile competitive environment can harden people to a point in which they trust no one and act that way.

Is it bullying ? Or is it just a very dry sense of humor ? I am a member of several other forums , and let me tell you , most everyone on this forum is quite polite , or at least their aggressive comments pale in comparison to some I have seen elsewhere. But really ,isn't it better to play nice ?

In the mean time , the economy in Argentina is....................

Is the economy in Argentina dead? I'm not sure I know what this means. If they are saying that one can't come here and make money, or at least a decent living, then they are looking in the wrong direction. The economy is going through turmoil and that creates opportunities.

If they are saying that the economy is dead compared to 2004-2007 when even an idiot could come here and make money (lots did) then I would agree with them.

Back