Is The Economy Dead In Argentina?

Valentina

Registered
Was told recently by a good friend of mine after telling him I was considering moving to Argentina that the economy is DEAD . Would you say this is true? How do things appear to you? Are you enjoying your life in Argentina?

Dead is a relative term here.
It's not booming that's for sure.
Having said that, you might be mistaken if you went to a shopping centre.
They all seem to be packed with happy shoppers.

Argentina is a very strong country that has resisted an unbelievable amount of hits and abuse. There are a lot of strong things that keep the country afloat. Time has been proof that Argentina is very rich in many ways, it's just cursed with Argentine politicians. Is the country booming? No. There are a lot of problems. That being said a there are a lot of fields that seem to have a lot going for them: IT, manufacturing, agriculture...... With a reasonable government and time this country could easily be a top 10 player.

The economy is ok in local standards.

I love your jokes Bajo! HA! HA! HA! HA! Have you ever considered giving up your day job & doing stand up comedy?! :D

Seriously now, we have more than 25% inflation (5x times the inflation of any first world country) ....we have no investment coming in,,,I went to the super today to buy some basic cooking oil -$27 for a litre! We have limited stock in the supermarkets, luckily we still have toilet paper & we have MORENO in charge...ha ha ha! Ni hablar!

Dead no, but a noose is tightening when the monthly is the same as most countries' yearly inflation. It doesn't help
like others have said that the government is incompetent and the people don't care. When the Presidency K ends
things will turn up hopefully, I'm here until Fall 2015 and the election results then will determine if I stay or go.

I love your jokes Bajo! HA! HA! HA! HA! Have you ever considered giving up your day job & doing stand up comedy?! :D

Seriously now, we have more than 25% inflation (5x times the inflation of any first world country) ....

20/25% of inflación was the average for almost 50 years.

The economy is doing ok on a context where stronger countries are doing very bad like Spain or Italy.

The economy is dead when there is recesión. Instead of growing over 7%, it is expected about 2,5%.

When the economy is f up, inflación is about 1000%.

In fairness to Baja, he did say the "economy is okay in local standards." I knew exactlly what he meant.

On another but similar note, I am sad that a very good Argentina friend upon whom I sort of depend for analysis of these things--because he is Argentine and in business for many years and seems to have his fingers on the pulse around there--told me he's made the decision to leave. He doesn't like the makeup of Congress--still--and also the fact that the supreme court ruled in favor of CK and Clarin will soon be defunct, the last objective voice in Argentina, he thinks. He says when that happens, the entire media will be controlled which will not be good for the country.

At the same time, in my area the shops are packed and so are the restaurants. Everyone is laughing and appear to be having fun. I do know that Argentinians have accepted that this is just Argentina and learned to live with it.Some tell me they don't even worry about it. It comes and it goes. One very negative Argentine friend tells me people are spending their money as soon as they get it because next week it will buy less.

I'm no authority on Argentina, this is all gathered from Argentine friends..

Back