Is the expat party coming to an end?

I am responding to something said in the comments below, Sergio said, "In this sense Argentina would be a more predicable and secure county but the social inequality that the current system and leaders have engendered will diminish." I am not co-signing his statement, but why do you say "but" as if diminishing social inequality is in opposition to having a more secure country? I will assume you meant to say AND rather than BUT. I don't see how eliminating free health care and education will diminish social inequality. Privitasing Aerolinus and YPF might lead to an influx of money for a minute or 2 but will hurt in the long run. Sounds like Carlos Menem 2.0 to me. I also take issue with the idea that a majority of expats with Euro's or Dollars take pleasure or comfort in seeing their adopted country suffer with catastrophic inflation to the detriment of it's people, infrastructure, future and stability. I personally am deflated when the Peso jumps and not just because I know how much it hurts Argentians but it is also bad for those of us looking to stay here forever. In a more tangible example, I bought my house for $110,000 4/5 years ago when the peso was 18P - 1USD for a total of 1,980,000 pesos. In todays rates at 900P to 1USD (dolar blue obviously) the house would cost 99,000,000P. That is just for reference, no one buys houses in Pesos and no one is going to pay me $110,000 for my house even though it is much improved. A high Dollar Blue is good for tourists but not Expats and always bad for Argentina.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The current system has led to a significant increase in poverty and to greater social inequality. The question is how to emerge from this crisis. Endless printing of pesos, some of which is doled out to the masses in the form of various subsidies, has not worked. Milei's idea is to create a more business friendly environment, to increase productivity and to make it possible to succeed in a free market system. With regard to hospitals, Milei has said that he does not want to abolish public hospitals however he wants to reform the system to make it better. The fact that many - probably most - expats pay for private care attests to the fact that they don't want to be dependent on an inferior public system - one that can be tolerable in BA but is far worse in the provinces. Education too needs reform. There is no reason that people of means should be receiving free university education. I cannot address your property value issue other than to say that the economic crisis has caused some drop in prices and has created a generally moribund market. The superficiality of some of the threads here (which steak house is the best, etc.) is a bit of Marie Antoinette redux given what most people are experiencing. I did not single you out or intend to do so.

Milei's idea is to create a more business friendly environment, to increase productivity and to make it possible to succeed in a free market system.
Have you actually seen anything resembling a plan? I believe he just thinks that if he manages to eliminate government involvement in the economy and other areas, things will magically improve by themselves.

Besides, wasn't Macri trying to create a more business-friendly environment as well? And we all know how that story ended.

Hey Sergio, No doubt Argentina is broken and needs to change, and I agree that education does not need to be universally free but I know many people who consider it a fundamental right. I am not trying to defend every aspect of Argentine society, I am at odds with many things including how young adults are treated like children and children like toddlers and how that feeds in the country's disfunction, I believe that there is a lack of personal responsibility built into Argentine culture that feeds the disfunction BUT I just don't see anything in Milei's ranting that suggests to me that he is the guy to change things. How many times have I heard "Puta" out of that guys mouth?

Regarding hospitals, my wife works for Conicet,

CONICET Mendoza Technological Scientific Center (Centro Científico Tecnológico CONICET Mendoza)​

which Milei also said he intended to shut down. She and her friends, (many of whom are doctors or medical technicians) strongly claim that the public hospitals are far better than the private in Argentina. I am aware there are different levels of public and private hospitals, some better than others but in general they claim the public are better.
Finally, the threads that talk about restaurants and food are exactly that, if you are not interested in that discussion, why are you reading them. I don't follow them because I live in Mendoza and don't have the option of enjoying the restaurants they talk about. I am not trying to give you a hard time, I initially reacted to the idea that many expats enjoyed the windfall of the peso rising with inflation. I for one am not happy about it.

Have you actually seen anything resembling a plan? I believe he just thinks that if he manages to eliminate government involvement in the economy and other areas, things will magically improve by themselves.

Besides, wasn't Macri trying to create a more business-friendly environment as well? And we all know how that story ended.
We shall see.
Macri did not have Milei's boldness or determination. Anyway, what do you want? More of the same kirchnerismo?

I'd rather the locals have some stability and a future than expats have a grand time.
As an ex-pat, I agree. I've loved my time in Argentina, but there are plenty of other countries out there, and I would like to experience more than a few.

Hey Sergio, No doubt Argentina is broken and needs to change, and I agree that education does not need to be universally free but I know many people who consider it a fundamental right. I am not trying to defend every aspect of Argentine society, I am at odds with many things including how young adults are treated like children and children like toddlers and how that feeds in the country's disfunction, I believe that there is a lack of personal responsibility built into Argentine culture that feeds the disfunction BUT I just don't see anything in Milei's ranting that suggests to me that he is the guy to change things. How many times have I heard "Puta" out of that guys mouth?

Regarding hospitals, my wife works for Conicet,

CONICET Mendoza Technological Scientific Center (Centro Científico Tecnológico CONICET Mendoza)​

which Milei also said he intended to shut down. She and her friends, (many of whom are doctors or medical technicians) strongly claim that the public hospitals are far better than the private in Argentina. I am aware there are different levels of public and private hospitals, some better than others but in general they claim the public are better.
Finally, the threads that talk about restaurants and food are exactly that, if you are not interested in that discussion, why are you reading them. I don't follow them because I live in Mendoza and don't have the option of enjoying the restaurants they talk about. I am not trying to give you a hard time, I initially reacted to the idea that many expats enjoyed the windfall of the peso rising with inflation. I for one am not happy about i

If you think public hospitals are better than private clinics, then use them and save your money.
The fact is that Milei was elected President by a wide margin. Expats who disdain him will have to accept that he won through a democratic process. Rather than looking for things to criticise, let's be positive and hope that he succeeds for the benefit of everyone.

If you think public hospitals are better than private clinics, then use them and save your money.
The fact is that Milei was elected President by a wide margin. Expats who disdain him will have to accept that he won through a democratic process. Rather than looking for things to criticise, let's be positive and hope that he succeeds for the benefit of everyone.
I'm good with that. Stranger things have happened. Good luck to all.

Back