Is the expat party coming to an end?

I don't know what your situation is, but you talk like someone who had only lived in one place or the other, and is just making assumptions from what you read. I lived in the US for 47 years and in Buenos Aires for 19 years, and I can tell you that you simply have no idea of what you're talking about. And you keep insisting that what you're saying is true with everyone who has lived here and there telling you, with details, that it isn't.

And you're looking for weak points in what we're telling you, and you're not finding any.

• You say: "There are many less expensive cities and towns across the huge USA where people on lower incomes can live." What you don't say is whether someone would want to live in those places, and how they would live, compared to living here.
  • You say someone who is 65+ might not be able to get insurance. Do you actually know? Because they can. And while it might cost a bit more than Medicare, the cost of every other thing will more that offset that. And in the worst of cases, if you can't pay, health care in Argentina is free.
  • You keep saying that living in the US on $3000/month is possible. You don't address whether the life you would have for that amount would be desirable, or even tolerable.
  • That $3000 figure is a number I threw out as a number for comparison, because it is double the amount that I have per month. Many expats living here don't have $3000/month. Average SS is half of that. I'm under the average. My point when I said it was that I can live extremely well here on half of $3000, while I could not even live in the US where I lived before, where my family is, on $3000. Forget about living there, or anywhere else in the US, on $1500.
Do you really think that you could live as well in the US, anywhere, on $3000/month, as you could in Buenos Aires on $1500/month? If you do, I really think you're dreaming.

This is spot on. I know a lot of people trying to get by on SS and a little extra in the US. What I see is that it works until it doesn't -- meaning they can skinny down their monthly expenses such that they can scrape by, until the day comes their condo makes a special assessment, or their pick up breaks down, or their roof leaks (all real stories from friends), and at that point their only hope is a family member or good friend who'll step in and help them out financially.

And they are certainly not living in a highly sophisticated, walkable and yes glamorous city.

Of course, the inflation of recent years has made it all that more difficult.

Medicare covers medical expenses. You have not even addressed the issue of the difficulty of someone 65+ even being accepted by an Argentine medical plan. Subsidised housing as I understand it is a modest % of one's income. How easy is it for someone with no network in Argentina to get long term housing? Are you sure it would be cheaper than subsidised housing? Yes, at this time USD 3,000 is a very good income in Argentina. The question is whether a move would really be justified, especially given the medical care issues and the uncertainty of future economic conditions.
How is the situation in Argentina any more precarious than the situation in the States? I have addressed health insurance. I have pretty good health insurance and I got it at 72. With the help of a lawyer friend. There is no problem buying housing here if you have the money. I don't think there is subsidized housing for expats. And if I was broke, I can get FREE healthcare at a public hospital. Completely free.

How is the situation in Argentina any more precarious than the situation in the States? I have addressed health insurance. I have pretty good health insurance and I got it at 72. With the help of a lawyer friend. There is no problem buying housing here if you have the money. I don't think there is subsidized housing for expats. And if I was broke, I can get FREE healthcare at a public hospital. Completely free.
our plan is to spend a few months in BA next year to decide how much we like it. As part of that I was planning on going to a place like the Hospital Italiano for a general checkup and pay it private. Does that make sense? What’s the cost of good health insurance in BA?

This is spot on. I know a lot of people trying to get by on SS and a little extra in the US. What I see is that it works until it doesn't -- meaning they can skinny down their monthly expenses such that they can scrape by, until the day comes their condo makes a special assessment, or their pick up breaks down, or their roof leaks (all real stories from friends), and at that point their only hope is a family member or good friend who'll step in and help them out financially.

And they are certainly not living in a highly sophisticated, walkable and yes glamorous city.

Of course, the inflation of recent years has made it all that more difficult.
I have a good friend, lady turning 90 -- in marvelous health. She's in the process of selling her condo to move into a rental because her condo hit her with a $50k balcony special assessment that she cannot cover with her small cash flow. Luckily she's sharp enough to pull off a move, but really, who the hell wants to be driven from their home at that age.

I don't know what your situation is, but you talk like someone who had only lived in one place or the other, and is just making assumptions from what you read. I lived in the US for 47 years and in Buenos Aires for 19 years, and I can tell you that you simply have no idea of what you're talking about. And you keep insisting that what you're saying is true with everyone who has lived here and there telling you, with details, that it isn't.

And you're looking for weak points in what we're telling you, and you're not finding any.

• You say: "There are many less expensive cities and towns across the huge USA where people on lower incomes can live." What you don't say is whether someone would want to live in those places, and how they would live, compared to living here.
  • You say someone who is 65+ might not be able to get insurance. Do you actually know? Because they can. And while it might cost a bit more than Medicare, the cost of every other thing will more that offset that. And in the worst of cases, if you can't pay, health care in Argentina is free.
  • You keep saying that living in the US on $3000/month is possible. You don't address whether the life you would have for that amount would be desirable, or even tolerable.
  • That $3000 figure is a number I threw out as a number for comparison, because it is double the amount that I have per month. Many expats living here don't have $3000/month. Average SS is half of that. I'm under the average. My point when I said it was that I can live extremely well here on half of $3000, while I could not even live in the US where I lived before, where my family is, on $3000. Forget about living there, or anywhere else in the US, on $1500.
Do you really think that you could live as well in the US, anywhere, on $3000/month, as you could in Buenos Aires on $1500/month? If you do, I really think you're dreaming.

Whether someone would be happy living at one place vs. another depends on many personal factors and preferences.
When you asked for numbers on how you can afford living in the US with low income, including your $1500/month, I gave you a long list of benefits that would certainly make it financially possible. Possible meaning not having to worry about medical expenses, food, and housing cost. Whether you would be happier in Buenos Aires or somewhere in the US is a personal choice. Some will clearly agree with you and some clearly will not.

You criticism of sergio sound very hypocritical to me since you're making quite a few assumptions yourself.
Having lived in the US for 47 years and 19 years in Buenos Aires by itself doesn't make you more qualified to state what is financially feasible, or what others prefer. Using the benefits I have listed, I know retired people living comfortability with lower income than you. I also know younger couples making over $200,000 in the same city in the US complaining that they are struggling.

I have a good friend, lady turning 90 -- in marvelous health. She's in the process of selling her condo to move into a rental because her condo hit her with a $50k balcony special assessment that she cannot cover with her small cash flow. Luckily she's sharp enough to pull off a move, but really, who the hell wants to be driven from their home at that age.
If she is being hit with a $50K balcony assessment, her condo is probably worth so much that she can easily structure a home equity to pay for that without affecting her current cashflow. The continued appreciation on her condo would likely offset that $50K. Yes, I'm making some assumptions (though I think are reasonable assumptions). However, if she already used up all her home equity, that's a different story and that in itself doesn't say anything about her other financial choices, or that she would be in a better situation if she had chosen to live somewhere else before.

Something that amazes me about Argentina; my mother in law had a brain surgery a few month back. A tumor removed. She checked in on Monday and walking home on Friday. Apart from having the talented doctors and the technology, nobody was talking about any money. It was not a concern at all. This country provides people with great food, great air, great lifestyle and great atmosphere. If I was a 50+ living kinda pay check to pay check but own a property, would defo move down here.

You say: "There are many less expensive cities and towns across the huge USA where people on lower incomes can live." What you don't say is whether someone would want to live in those places, and how they would live, compared to living here.

You keep saying that living in the US on $3000/month is possible. You don't address whether the life you would have for that amount would be desirable, or even tolerable.
I'll defend some of the comments about the ability to have a decent life on $36K, or even a bit less.

In either Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas, one can still get a one-bedroom apartment for ≈$500/month - It won't be luxury, but as much as 700 sq ft in an older complex, quadraplex, or a converted Victorian in a good neighborhood. Up until 2005, I paid $425 for a 900 sq ft duplex that was a cool as hell mid-century modern built in 1955 (and just confirmed from my old landlord that his smaller 1 bedrooms still go for $450). I still have plenty of low-energy pro musician friends who supplement with low-paying jobs, surely many of them make very little - but they go out, they pay their bills, they have cars, etc, and enough discretionary income to have daily breakfast tacos.

Texas may be an exception - God knows it's hard to earn anything above slave wages there, so a lot of things are cheap - but that's an example of three livable cities to choose from.

Something that amazes me about Argentina; my mother in law had a brain surgery a few month back. A tumor removed. She checked in on Monday and walking home on Friday. Apart from having the talented doctors and the technology, nobody was talking about any money. It was not a concern at all. This country provides people with great food, great air, great lifestyle and great atmosphere. If I was a 50+ living kinda pay check to pay check but own a property, would defo move down here.
Would you be as equally amazed that someone received a liver transplant at 63 years old, and all the medical costs pre and post-transplant including all the ongoing medications are covered 100% by the government sponsored free insurance? That's in the USA. Home Health Aide also provided for free.

I'll defend some of the comments about the ability to have a decent life on $36K, or even a bit less.

In either Houston, San Antonio, or Dallas, one can still get a one-bedroom apartment for ≈$500/month - It won't be luxury, but as much as 700 sq ft in an older complex, quadraplex, or a converted Victorian in a good neighborhood. Up until 2005, I paid $425 for a 900 sq ft duplex that was a cool as hell mid-century modern built in 1955 (and just confirmed from my old landlord that his smaller 1 bedrooms still go for $450). I still have plenty of low-energy pro musician friends who supplement with low-paying jobs, surely many of them make very little - but they go out, they pay their bills, they have cars, etc, and enough discretionary income to have daily breakfast tacos.

Texas may be an exception - God knows it's hard to earn anything above slave wages there, so a lot of things are cheap - but that's an example of three livable cities to choose from.
I don't think you are finding that price in Houston anymore.

Back