Is the expat party coming to an end?

Would you be as equally amazed that someone received a liver transplant at 63 years old, and all the medical costs pre and post-transplant including all the ongoing medications are covered 100% by the government sponsored free insurance? That's in the USA. Home Health Aide also provided for free.
I’m very glad to hear that. But never heard of that before. How does that work?

I’m very glad to hear that. But never heard of that before. How does that work?
Medicaid

People complain about high medical cost and high college tuition cost, and if you have to pay, it's certainly natural to complain, but those complaining likely can actually pay it if they reprioritize. However, the reality is that if you truly can't afford it, it's all free. Medical is free and college tuition is free. You just have to know what is out there and apply...
Here are some examples programs available to NY residents, but most are national programs or other states have similar programs...
Medicaid - free medical including medicines (you can even get some money back around $200/month)
The Excelsior Scholarship - free college tuition for individuals making less than $125K
SSI - Supplemental Security Income (provide up to $914/month for individual seniors or disabled person)
SNAP - free money for food (up to $291/month for individual)
LifeLine - free phone line
ACP - free internet service
HEAP - help with heating cost
Fair Fairs and Senior Discounts (50% off transportation)
Discounts on real estate tax for elderly

Medicaid

People complain about high medical cost and high college tuition cost, and if you have to pay, it's certainly natural to complain, but those complaining likely can actually pay it if they reprioritize. However, the reality is that if you truly can't afford it, it's all free. Medical is free and college tuition is free. You just have to know what is out there and apply...
Here are some examples programs available to NY residents, but most are national programs or other states have similar programs...
Medicaid - free medical including medicines (you can even get some money back around $200/month)
The Excelsior Scholarship - free college tuition for individuals making less than $125K
SSI - Supplemental Security Income (provide up to $914/month for individual seniors or disabled person)
SNAP - free money for food (up to $291/month for individual)
LifeLine - free phone line
ACP - free internet service
HEAP - help with heating cost
Fair Fairs and Senior Discounts (50% off transportation)
Discounts on real estate tax for elderly
In reality it's not free. Somewhere, somehow someone else is paying, one way or the other.

In reality it's not free. Somewhere, somehow someone else is paying, one way or the other.
Of course that's true, but the recipients of all these benefits also contribute to the economy through their purchases and their utilization of services. Economy class seats on a plane might he unprofitable, but they are still necessary and contribute to the over success of the airline. The corporate and tax revenues generated by those activities are then collected and refocused on other investments and innovations. It's quite circular. There is no objective answer to determine who is contributing or paying a fair amount because what is fair depends on what facts one includes in their arguments to support their view of what is fair. Similarly, there's also no objective way to determine what amount is the right amount the government should spend on those benefits.

If she is being hit with a $50K balcony assessment, her condo is probably worth so much that she can easily structure a home equity to pay for that without affecting her current cashflow. The continued appreciation on her condo would likely offset that $50K. Yes, I'm making some assumptions (though I think are reasonable assumptions). However, if she already used up all her home equity, that's a different story and that in itself doesn't say anything about her other financial choices, or that she would be in a better situation if she had chosen to live somewhere else befor

In less than a minute's searching - several one bedrooms and efficiencies available in Montrose for $500-$600.
Screenshot_20231209_155925_Chrome.jpg

haha, yeah, I found a couple listings in Denver Harbor or Sunnyside on HAR. not the place I'd want to live unless I like street gangs and drugs

Oh, FFS...I don't know why everything has to be an argument, but you don't look for apartments in Montrose on Apartments.com. I believe I qualified my statement well by saying that you're looking at privately-owned quadraplexes, duplexes, etc. I also said it would not be luxurious, but a nice livable space.

For many expats, the party was already over in 2016, when the peso was "stuck" at 15 to one:

Back