Is there a mosquito season in BA?

Anders

Registered
Hi all

We've just been here a couple of weeks and have, especially in the last few days, been savagely attacked by that little no-good-creature called mosquito. We've got a nine month old with us, so we're a little concerned.

Do any of you experienced BAers know if there is a mosquito season and if hope in them going away soon is justified?

Also. How serious is the dengue threat?

Thanks!!
Anders

You will have mosquitoes here all through the summer. They will disappear during the end of the fall and all throughout winter.

I use to go running in the park, never got bitten by a single mosquito. And today, all the sudden, they are all over the place. I looked down and there were 4 of them busy sucking my blood on my legs. And a lot more of them were swarming around me. I guess this is like Thailand, never leave home without your mosquito repellent.

I talked about my desease concerns to a friend motoquero who hosted me in Formosa, in the far north, where dengue actually kills people. He laughed. When i said i was european and my immune system was a bit different, he laughed louder.

The risk to catch dengue in Buenos Aires is minimal. I think i read that something like 10 people caught it out of a population of more than 10 million people. You had greater risks this winter with the swine flu.

My trick to avoid moskitoes : ear plugs. They do bite me, but i still can sleep without fear of getting them buzzing into my ears.

Yes I have to snicker at the alarmist media panic over mosquitoes every summer, even before the Dengue business took off. If you believe the media, there is a plague of biblical proportions that descends on Buenos Aires every year, terrorising the populace and resulting in thousands of fatalities (or at least hurt feelings and general itchyness). Actually, I find the mosquito menace here pretty mild compared to back home.

orwellian said:
I use to go running in the park, never got bitten by a single mosquito. And today, all the sudden, they are all over the place. I looked down and there were 4 of them busy sucking my blood on my legs. And a lot more of them were swarming around me.
Something tells me that they've been reading this site recently.

I live in Palermo and went to the park last night. I was eaten alive!

Napoleon said:
Something tells me that they've been reading this site recently.

Now that would make sense, since a lot of people on this forum are annoying like mosquitoes :p

Back