Is there a mosquito season in BA?

Yes, but it usually takes 18 months and an influential lawyer to get a hunting licence.

Some on this site would suggest just forgetting the licence and be "ïllegal", as many do (further arguing that the fees are just to pad the pockets of the corrupt officials and politicians). Others here, however, argue that foreigners should always comply with the document requirements, even if Argentineans never comply with the laws, as there is always a risk for us and the cost of such licences in North America for Argentineans justify the fees.

I would respectfully suggest that you stick to Cucurachas, as it is always open season on them and the penalty for hunting them without documentation is a mere 300 pesos, only the cost of a good dinner in Palermo. In addition, they are more fun to chase, and 'roaches is better-eatin' than 'skitters.

In Mendoza we are blessed with a lot less of these nasty critters, but I have found that one of the best solutions at night is to put the fan on at high speed and directed at your body when you sleep. Mosquitoes of any sort hate wind and will avoid being in a place they are blown around.

mendozanow said:
Yes, but it usually takes 18 months and an influential lawyer to get a hunting licence.

Some on this site would suggest just forgetting the licence and be "ïllegal", as many do (further arguing that the fees are just to pad the pockets of the corrupt officials and politicians). Others here, however, argue that foreigners should always comply with the document requirements, even if Argentineans never comply with the laws, as there is always a risk for us and the cost of such licences in North America for Argentineans justify the fees.

I would respectfully suggest that you stick to Cucurachas, as it is always open season on them and the penalty for hunting them without documentation is a mere 300 pesos, only the cost of a good dinner in Palermo. In addition, they are more fun to chase, and 'roaches is better-eatin' than 'skitters.

brilliant!

mendozanow said:
In Mendoza we are blessed with a lot less of these nasty critters, but I have found that one of the best solutions at night is to put the fan on at high speed and directed at your body when you sleep. Mosquitoes of any sort hate wind and will avoid being in a place they are blown around.

This works for me!

PS: The tremendous increase in the number of mosquitoes over previous years has to be due to the increased precipitation this year. Even two or three days after recent rains, I have seen a lot of standing water (aka puddles). Porteros who hose down the sidewalks daily with excessive amounts of water are contributing to the problem, too, especially if the water remains in the gutters (which it often does, especially in the streets that still have brick gutters).

mendozanow said:
Yes this really works for me too, even on medium speed.
then there is MOS CUT a natural repellent and OFF with diethyltoluamide,

Thanks to all for informative as well as entertaining replies (-:

Back