Is There Anyplace To Buy Land Cheap Here?

I was wondering Where can you buy a little land cheap here?

In order to answer your question in a helpful manner, it is necessary to know what you mean by the words little and cheap as well as how close you would like to live to an urban area with readily available goods and services (especially health care) and how safe you not only want to feel where you live, but how safe you actually want to be where you live (assuming you want to buy land on which to build and live).

Lots in Pago Chico (a barrio cerrado at the intersection of route 3 and 229 near Bahia Blanca) are on the market for about $40 USD per m2. The lot next to my house is for sale for $20 US per m2, but that price includes a secure building in which to store building material and a place to live during the construction as well as my personal help in buying the materials and dealing with the contractors.

There is cheaper land for sale in the surrounding area, but security would be a much greater cause for concern if you built or lived there.

If you have any interest in building a small home with logs harvested from eucalyptus trees that are growing on my property you could do so and only pay for the cost of cutting the trees (which is possible to do without killing them!).

Here is a link to the thread about "country life in Argentina" without the key words being highlighted in yellow:

http://baexpats.org/...it-really-like/

PS: Thanks to RichardP for posting the link in the previous post.

So for a hectacre which is 10000 sq meter the price would be......200k dollars?that's pretty far away from cheap in my book

So for a hectacre which is 10000 sq meter the price would be......200k dollars?that's pretty far away from cheap in my book

The smaller a property can be divided, the higher the price the individual lots can be sold for. Recently, a single property of 2500 m2 was for sale in the nearby "village" for about $30,000 USD. It had been on the market for several years. The owner recently offered it as four lots instead of one and they sold quickly for a total price that was closer to $40K USD.

There is one 10,000 m2 lot that is very close to my property (actually, just beyond the far side of my land) which is much cheaper, but it is covered in scrub brush, open (no trees) on two sides (including the one facing the street), and has no services (water or electricity) to the property. There is no place to safely store building materials or to live during the construction, both of which are essential to get the job done properly without having the materials stolen or the construction done properly. Cheap in the short run can become expensive in the long run.

PS: I did not mention in my previous post that the 2500 that I have for sale also includes access to an adjacent 2500 m2 for use as a stable or garden but not for a dwelling. The price I am asking is for everything, inlcuding all of the costs for the escritura, as well as a place to live and my personal assistance during construction.

Here you have prices per hectarea:
http://m.iprofesional.com/notas/88870-Campos-argentinos-cunto-cuesta-la-hectrea-y-qu-negocios-afloran-para-2010

I am not actually living in "el campo" as my property is in a municipal zone (it's not farmland). I pay municipal taxes and have municipal services, including frequent street maintenance and garbage collection. I also have agua corriente and the nearest comiseria (police station) is one km from my house.

One night (about 11 PM a few years ago) my dogs went crazy and I thought there might be a prowler near my house. I called the police and they arrived in less than five minutes. There was no sign of anyone. That was the night I discovered that the frogs liked to bump against my kitchen door when it was raining.

A couple months ago I needed immediate medical attention and an ambulance arrived at my house in less than ten minutes. I was at the closest hospital ten minutes later.

Living in a "municipalidad" (including living on the edge of one) definitely has advantages over living in a truly "rural" area, and Bahia Blanca, with all of the services one would expect to find in a city of over 300,000 is less than a 20 minute drive from my house.

I enjoy the best of both worlds where I am living, without having to pay the monthly expenses of living in a barrio cerrado or having to deal with the deprivations (and dangers) of living in a truly rural area.
emo32.gif

Well. the way it's normally done,not that i hold a patent on it, when building on raw land , the first thing you do is dig a well and install whatever means of extracting water ( hand crank pump like in the old west or some sort of motorized pump)
As far as power, you need a generator if desired, believe it or not, there are places they still building with no power at all , mixing mortar and all other materials by hand( this is called a'' cancha'' where you make your'' paston'' and a building hoe with holes)i know a hoe with holes lol (to easy for a hoe joke) then you'd build the ''obrador'' which is a small shack where to keep all the materias that can be damaged by rain and also hand tools, normally they would use a lock on it, not needing to live at the job site, besides in the case of Steve wouldn't be a problem since according to him his area is super safe(?)
What i'm trying to say with this, is there's no need to have neighbors close by or live at the job site, the risk of vandalism or theft exist everywhere and i don't think any of the best neighbors in the world will come out to defend your bag of cement in the middle of the night when there's only one of you and maybe 2 or 3 of them...... so let's get realistic here

Well. the way it's normally done,not that i hold a patent on it, when building on raw land , the first thing you do is dig a well and install whatever means of extracting water ( hand crank pump like in the old west or some sort of motorized pump)
As far as power, you need a generator if desired, believe it or not, there are places they still building with no power at all , mixing mortar and all other materials by hand( this is called a'' cancha'' where you make your'' paston'' and a building hoe with holes)i know a hoe with holes lol (to easy for a hoe joke) then you'd build the ''obrador'' which is a small shack where to keep all the materias that can be damaged by rain and also hand tools, normally they would use a lock on it, not needing to live at the job site, besides in the case of Steve wouldn't be a problem since according to him his area is super safe(?)
What i'm trying to say with this, is there's no need to have neighbors close by or live at the job site, the risk of vandalism or theft exist everywhere and i don't think any of the best neighbors in the world will come out to defend your bag of cement in the middle of the night when there's only one of you and maybe 2 or 3 of them...... so let's get realistic here

OK, let's get realistic.

I believe that I once used the exp<b></b>ression "relatively safe" when describing the property that was for sale in Las Sierras De Los Padres.

Posted by steveinbsas on 14 November 2014 - 03:51 PM in Expat Life

"The area must also be relatively safe. One of the first things I noticed in the photos was the absence of bars on the windows. I also noticed the words "vigilancia privada" in the description. I am sure this comes at an additional (monthly) cost, but it's undoubtedly worth it."

I wouldn't use the exp<b></b>ression "super safe" to describe any location in Argentina.

Recently, not far from here and within the municipal zone, about $80,000 pesos of building materials disappeared from a fereteria in the middle of the night. A job site would be much more vulnerable. Anyone who has the funds to buy the building materials in Argentina must do so as soon as the funds are available in order to avoid the loss of purchasing power due to inflation. We're talking about a lot more than a bag of cement.

Any home that is not inhabited is far from being immune from burglary or even occupation by usurpers and without adequate security (bars or shutters on windows or "vigilancia privada") and I wouldn't always describe a home that is occupied as safe, especially at night.

Long after the construction is completed it is essential to have either a very good neighbor or have someone actually stay in your home (especially in a rural or semi-rural) area if you are not going to be there for any length of time. The biggest problem with having someone stay in your house is what could happen when you return and they have decided not to leave.

I began my search for a casa quinta (aka "country home") exactly five years ago. I found my present home on line on the second day of my search. I continued to search for over a month before making an offer to buy it. I also found a casa quinta about a 90 minute drive from Bahia Blanca (in La Pampa) with twice as much land for half the price, but in this case I could see that cheaper was not necessarily better, given my desire to live within a municipal zone and be close to goods and services (including medical care).

The property I bought was also more than twice as attractive (at least in my view) and clearly would be much easier to sell if I ever wanted to leave Argentina (which I don't).

Back