It’s official Joe Biden becomes the 46 President of the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think trade wars (specially indiscriminate ones against everyone at the same time) and identity based protectionism are examples of "creating an environment where businesses can thrive and our kids can find jobs".
In 2020 China's trade surplus with the US was almost US$700 billion, the largest since 2015, despite Trump's trade war. He did not get a single concession out of China, but industry groups estimate that his trade war cost about 240 thousand US jobs.
SOURCE

Also, his whole rhetoric is about somehow turning back the clock and bringing back high paying manufacturing jobs to the US is a pipedream. Here is the reality: Even if he somehow can bring the factories back, jobs that pay US$30/hour for someone with a high school education to screw parts into an appliance will never come back. Ever. These jobs will be automated. But that was the dream that he was selling. The world has changed (it will always change) but he promises the old ways instead of a pathway forwards. He sells dreams that he cannot deliver. He was a con artists. A used car salesman.
Don't forget coal - it's the future!

What a load of crap. That's Qanon crap.

She seems to advocate hormone therapy for transgender minors as it helps with suicide rates apparently. I know nothing about the subject, so I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.

Quilmes made a claim that without parental consent. I haven't seen evidence of that.

The drugs are expensive, Forcier said, and not all children have access to appropriate providers. She hopes access will get easier, as does Dr. Rachel Levine, secretary of health for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a practicing pediatrician. Levine said this study is an important one, since it is the first to show a specific association between access to puberty blockers and a decrease in suicidiality.

"It is very important for medical professionals to understand scientific studies like this," Levine said. She pointed out several clinics in Pennsylvania that can provide this kind of care, althought most are located in large urban areas. Access would be much more difficult for children in rural Pennsylvania and in other areas of the country and she said she hopes that changes.
The study, she said, points to why access is so important, counter to some political movements to deny children such access.
"It is also critically important as far as policy," Levine said, "that policy makers do not get in the way of medical standards of care."

artisans sounds like one of those MAGA guys but on the left

Proponents of horseshoe theory argue that the extreme left and the extreme right are closer to each other than either is to the political center.

Im+just+gonna+leave+this+here+_64e27469687c0e7daa8187033c145655.jpg

Here are a couple of interesting videos with Jordan Peterson:

This interview is from 2018. I wonder if after the storming of the Capitol building, JP still thinks that Americans are not more polarized today than they were 10 or 20 years ago.
I certainly think they are. I think identity politics today is the main point of divisiveness, and I think social media and its echo chambers played a huge role on that.
Would love to get his most up to date point of view.

25% of all USD was created in 2020. More than 3 trillion. If you didn't like money printing under Obama, you must really hate it under Trump. Get ready for more in 2021.
I did point out Trump ran up huge deficits too. The printing was to pay for much of it, primarily in stimulus packages.

I don't think trade wars (specially indiscriminate ones against everyone at the same time) and identity based protectionism are examples of "creating an environment where businesses can thrive and our kids can find jobs".
In 2020 China's trade surplus with the US was almost US$700 billion, the largest since 2015, despite Trump's trade war. He did not get a single concession out of China, but industry groups estimate that his trade war cost about 240 thousand US jobs.
SOURCE

Also, his whole rhetoric is about somehow turning back the clock and bringing back high paying manufacturing jobs to the US is a pipedream. Here is the reality: Even if he somehow can bring the factories back, jobs that pay US$30/hour for someone with a high school education to screw parts into an appliance will never come back. Ever. These jobs will be automated. But that was the dream that he was selling. The world has changed (it will always change) but he promises the old ways instead of a pathway forwards. He sells dreams that he cannot deliver. He was a con artists. A used car salesman.
Until covid hit Trump's economy was pretty strong. As far as the Chinese go they finally started buying our ag products. Pretty high prices for those now.

Until covid hit Trump's economy was pretty strong. As far as the Chinese go they finally started buying our ag products. Pretty high prices for those now.

The economy was just as "strong" under Obama as it was under Trump. And if Trump's economy was as "strong" as you claim, why did spend his entire term railing against the Fed for not printing more?
I really don't know how you reconcile facts with your view of Trump.

What I find very worrisome, more so than any individual that comes to occupy the WHite House, is this tendency people are having to attach their identity, their self-worth to a particular politician or party, and then filter reality so that facts don't conflict with that projection. Trump supporters do this and so do Biden supporters.
This sanctification of pet politicians creates this almost sectarian like division, where political affiliations become classified as "The path of righteousness" vs."the path of damnation" and people embark on their own political jihad where everything is all or nothing: "My pet politician is blessed, while your pet politician is the devil". It was very telling when Artisan wrote the following on a previous post:

"looking forward foremost to witness a rebirth in leadership of the good and the true."

It is incredible that he is sanctifying Joe Biden with a religious like statement like that. Joe biden is the guy who wrote a crime bill the caused the mass incarceration of millions of black Americans, who voted for the invasion of Iraq, who bragged about being the "father of the patriot act", and who voted for the Wall Street bailouts.He represents nothing that is "good and true". Like most politicians, he is an opportunist who looks after himself by serving powerful interest groups and manipulates voters to get what he wants.

And then we have conservatives doing the same thing for Trump.

This is a really sad state of affairs. We need to detach ourselves from politicians and stop dealing with politics as team sport. We need to embrace logic and common sense instead of emotions and tribalism. We are not in a crusade where those who think differently are heretics. Things in politics are not "black and white" and it is not a battle between "good and evil'. Your political inclination (left or right) is not the path virtue, it is just one flawed perspective to interpret the world and your view is as often wrong as it is right. We are going down the path of madness and destruction if we continue to allow ourselves to be polarized like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back