JG on noise and air pollution

JG

Registered
For me culture or attractive looking people will never cancel out the stress of the incredible noise and pollution from vehicles of all kinds. In smaller towns in arg., sure its quieter, but just one bus or car will blacken the street or wake you up at 5am.
Noise and pollution, it should almost be written on their flag. nothing can cancel out how overwhelming it is, and its a pity, as mufflers, catalytic converts and ummm headlights have been around a long time. why have a govt. that does nothing. whats the point.
Anyway, to live in arg., you must cope with air pollution at street level, noise like you never heard (who knew 1 car could be that loud), and litter and trash.

JG, strange it might seem to you but I can handle the noise. I guess it helps that on weekends I get respite from it. But what I cannot understand is the penchant of almost everyone (of any age group, size, color, sex and breed - or lack of it) to litter/ throw trash out the car window- the likes of bus tickets, cigarette wrappers, cigarette butts, almost anything - just tossed without care. Does anyone think about those that lives down stream and are dying (plants and animals) because of oil being poured down the sidewalk and down the sewer that ends up in the lakes and rivers?
The streets of BsAs are beautiful and charming, but why is there the need to litter such nice neighborhoods? What a shame, no?
I see the street sweepers everyday and they are my heroes.

What I have thought about the poop and the litter quite a bit over the years -- I have used the evil eye stare on kids etc when they've thrown away packets in front of me -- and I once handed the piece of paper some guy on his motorcycle had thrown away. I'm sure he threw it away 5secs later when my back was turned, but the slight embarrassment it caused led me to come up with a cunning plan...
When we hopefully finally buy this year, I'm going to put a webcam facing the sidewalk. Not to monitor who's trying to break in, but to monitor who's letting their dog poop on the sidewalk and who's tossing out the trash without thinking. I will then project the video onto the wall across the street to try and embarrass the neighbours -- what do you think? Will this stop them?? Ok, its an overly elaborate plan, but it does show you that I have really considered all of this and I'm trying to figure out the best way to stop it! Public humiliation should at least work for awhile.
The other less technical but more disgusting thing to do is to pile up all the poo and all the papers that collect and hang a large sign over it -- this is YOURS! from X amount of days, and just watch the pile grow. To be truly effective though, it still needs the humiliation factor, so I think I'd have to snap some polaroids of the guilty parties and post those on the wall...
Obviously both these plans work best if you own a PH rather than live on the 4th story of a building...
The best way to get this going would be for teachers to propose it as projects for their kids in school. Anyone up for the task? It could be an environmental project.

I used to live in Palermo Hollywood and found it very loud and polluted because of traffic, trash and dogs.
I moved to a quiet area (Boedo). Problem solved.

"Grazie" said:
JG, strange it might seem to you but I can handle the noise. I guess it helps that on weekends I get respite from it. But what I cannot understand is the penchant of almost everyone (of any age group, size, color, sex and breed - or lack of it) to litter/ throw trash out the car window- the likes of bus tickets, cigarette wrappers, cigarette butts, almost anything - just tossed without care. Does anyone think about those that lives down stream and are dying (plants and animals) because of oil being poured down the sidewalk and down the sewer that ends up in the lakes and rivers?
The streets of BsAs are beautiful and charming, but why is there the need to litter such nice neighborhoods? What a shame, no?
I see the street sweepers everyday and they are my heroes.
It´s all about education, or lack of it

quote syngirl
"When we hopefully finally buy this year, I'm going to put a webcam facing the sidewalk. Not to monitor who's trying to break in, but to monitor who's letting their dog poop on the sidewalk and who's tossing out the trash without thinking. I will then project the video onto the wall across the street to try and embarrass the neighbours -- what do you think? Will this stop them?? Ok, its an overly elaborate plan, but it does show you that I have really considered all of this and I'm trying to figure out the best way to stop it! Public humiliation should at least work for awhile".
"The other less technical but more disgusting thing to do is to pile up all the poo and all the papers that collect and hang a large sign over it -- this is YOURS! from X amount of days, and just watch the pile grow. To be truly effective though, it still needs the humiliation factor, so I think I'd have to snap some polaroids of the guilty parties and post those on the wall.." unquote
Brilliant!.

Back