Noise

rjhiking

Registered
Two weeks ago I moved into an apartment. Immediately after moving in I noticed directly above are 2 guys continuing playing the drums. I have spoken to them directly and have spoken to the agent that I rented from.

What rights do I have in BA to move away and get my full deposit back. I had spoken with the owner prior to signing the rental agreement if there was excessive noise and she said absolutely NOT!

Please help.

Time to send a carta documento. If that doesn't work you have to go to the fiscalía (public prosecutor) and file an injunction. Unfortunately in Buenos Aires, most neighbors ignore their other neighbor's rights to peace and quiet. I dealt with this same issue a few times and it was resolved by these means.

More likely than not, you are SOL. People from latin culture in general (and Argentina in particular) tend to be very inconsiderate toward those around them. I will be surprised if an injunction works. Might consider buying earplugs.

Probably confiscating the TV's until they return my deposit, like a hostage situation.

I dealt with this twice. The first time it was a business on the ground floor of my building that made noise all night. They ignored every request to keep the noise down past a certain hour. After we sent them a carta documento they threatened us and started ringing the bell to our apartment at all hours of the night to indimidate us. We filed a complaint first at the police station and took that to the fiscalía, who then sent them a notice of hearing. They didn't show up to the hearing so were automatically found in default and an injunction was issued. Noise permanently stopped as well as the stupid intimidation.

Easy one (don't take hostage the TV = you could get into trouble, you just want to fight the two people playing drums right?)

1) Take note of the sleeping cycle of the two acoustic terrorists
2) Take note of the musical style they like (if they like reggae, you'll need bands like Zig Zig Sputnik / if they like African rythms, go for traditional Oktoberfest folklore, etc.)
2) Buy a stereo system, a good amp and an oversized woofer (go big).
3) Apply the woofer on your ceiling
4) Play the music when -a- you're leaving your home for a few hours & -b- you know they are sleeping, they'll know soon enough who the boss is

You're welcome

Back