Keeping US cell phone number for text & talk when moving there

Are you saying I should redirect it to Google Voice (or something comparable) and then deal with my current cell phone porting separately?
I am saying that it may be a good idea to port (not redirect, port) your number to a voip provider that does not assume that you need to be connected to a cell tower all the time, and work from there. Google voice is free, but they enforce (unspecified) usage limits, so if you need the number for business you should consider a paid voip service.

Cell services like google fi and simplemobile (free roaming in Argentina) are also valid options. But using them permanently from a foreign country it is not an intended usage, and there may (or may not) be some consequences.

Do you need to recieve short sms codes from your bank? They are the numbers sent in two step verifications. Not many services will let you receive the codes here.

Some smart phones have dual SIM card slots so switching between services is easy (and should work if you have an international plan). I've had success using Skype for calling anywhere in the world for a very low monthly cost: the downside to this is that you can't get incoming calls on the number, it only works for outbound calling.
I have a Skype number and receive incoming calls from the US on a daily basis

I have a Skype number and receive incoming calls from the US on a daily basis
How do you do that? I have my phone number attached to the account but if someone dials my number from outside the country it doesn't go through Skype.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you know which iphones might have that dual SIM capability. That would be ideal! And then we would be able to use the phone easily in either country, have an Argentine # and US # and it would work wherever we are?
Google says
With iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 mini, you can use Dual SIM with either two active eSIMs or a nano-SIM and an eSIM. iPhone 12 models, iPhone 11 models, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, feature Dual SIM with a nano-SIM and an eSIM

I use ooma. Ported my us number to it. Receives texts also with is useful for two step verification. I bring the landline style phone with me and plug it into an internet connection at whatever country I am in. I use 3 way calling, long holds, and transfers fairly often so I like the old school business phone. I can use the app to take calls on my cellphone as well.

I used Google voice, skype, and magic jack in the past but call quality was low and often two step authentication texts didn't work.

we use our US phones, but sync them to our computers, and can receive US messages from other iphones that way, can facetime calls. We have smaller, cheaper phones for daily use in Buenos Aires. One thing to remember is everybody in BA uses WhatsAp, and hardly anyone uses facebook.And WhatsAp only allows one phone number per account- so my 5 year old BA phone has WhatsAp, and its what I use in Argentina. I keep the US phone at my apartment, and dont take it out, daily. You can get a Sim with any of the 3 main phone companies using your US passport, and prepay. You can charge up your BA phone with a thousand or two pesos at kioskos all over town, or at Atm type machines. I also use skype for some things, its very cheap and works fine for most US calls.

Replying to Soykoy, Telecom Personal sold eSIMs at the airport (Ezeiza) pre-pandemic, I can see if they still do that.

Do you need to recieve short sms codes from your bank? They are the numbers sent in two step verifications. Not many services will let you receive the codes here.

Which services let you receive those SMS messages from banks? Google Voice doesn’t?

Back