Keeping US cell phone number for text & talk when moving there

This article from Jan 2021 is interesting, goes into lots of detail about using Google Voice abroad:

It says:

“Does Google Voice Work With All Companies Who Require 2FA?
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is a relatively new security feature employed by many American companies that requires a user to verify their identity in more than one way before gaining access to the account. Banks and financial services companies are particularly stringent with requiring 2FA especially from new devices and locations.

I have used my number as normal for 2FA and general business text messaging after porting it to Google Voice.

It has helped me receive verification texts and calls from Capital One, Charles Schwab, TD Ameritrade, Robinhood, Uber, Doordash, Yahoo, Microsoft, AWS, Air France and many more companies. I would say it works very well with the vast majority of companies who require 2FA to log in.

The only company I’ve encountered so far which is not compatible with 2FA using a Google Voice number is Chase Bank. Luckily, I can still log into my account from abroad and verify my identity using my email address but I cannot verify nor receive account alerts by text the way an American could with an American cell phone plan. It’s not a big deal, but I thought I’d mention it.”

Does someone know if there's a possible workaround for setting up Google Voice from Argentina? I'm able to download the Google Voice APK file and install but as far as signing in with my Google account it says it's not supported in my country.

I also no longer have my US SIM card but I'll likely get one sent in the near future.

Does someone know if there's a possible workaround for setting up Google Voice from Argentina? I'm able to download the Google Voice APK file and install but as far as signing in with my Google account it says it's not supported in my country. I also no longer have my US SIM card but I'll likely get one sent in the near future.

You may be asking two separate questions here.

If you currently have a google voice account and can use it on a desktop with no problems but putting it on your phone is the issue....is one issue.

If you currently have a google account but no voice on desktop and also no luck with the app, then you need to create a voice account from your google account, preferably on a vpn showing a US IP.

Last edited:
I recommend Google Fi (not Google voice) - I just have my US number on Google Fi (Unlimited calls and texts to the US) and have cell service all over Argentina / in virtually all counties. I use WhatsApp in Argentina for local communication with friends and businesses etc. If I need to make a rare local call I can either use my boyfriend's arg phone (you can have a separate cheap phone with a local sim) or just have Google Fi charge me in a pinch. I forget the rate now but check the site.

I recommend Google Fi (not Google voice) - I just have my US number on Google Fi (Unlimited calls and texts to the US) and have cell service all over Argentina / in virtually all counties. I use WhatsApp in Argentina for local communication with friends and businesses etc. If I need to make a rare local call I can either use my boyfriend's arg phone (you can have a separate cheap phone with a local sim) or just have Google Fi charge me in a pinch. I forget the rate now but check the site.

But isn’t Google Fi going to freeze the service or something if you’ve been abroad for too long?

in their terms it does say something about it not being intended for permanently living overseas.

however, i've lived in argentina for almost 5 years with the service, with occasional trips back to the US, and never had any issue at all using Fi. i haven't seen many recent stories of them enforcing that either but i did see some online rumors in the past.

in their terms it does say something about it not being intended for permanently living overseas.

however, i've lived in argentina for almost 5 years with the service, with occasional trips back to the US, and never had any issue at all using Fi. i haven't seen many recent stories of them enforcing that either but i did see some online rumors in the past.

I spoke to Google Fi rep a moment ago. She wasn’t providing an official time frame for how long you can use your phone outside the US, but did seem to say, unofficially I guess, that less than a year would be fine.

I've used Google Fi in Arg for two years with no issues- though I'm on a shared family plan with family in the US

Back