Knife robbery attempt in Palermo

You sound like a smart and honest individual. Let the rest pretend they are tough street smart knife wielding vigilantes. Insecure people play out their fantasies on the internet. It's only natural. Don't take it seriously.

AndrewWoodward said:
If someone comes up to me and puts a gun or a knife to me, they're going to get whatever is in my pockets. I guess for no other reason than I can't see myself doing very well in a knife or gun fight. I'd much rather replace the cash and phone in my pockets in a couple hours than end up in the hospital wounded.

If other people feel differently, that's their prerogative I suppose.

PhilipDT said:
I don't think this is talking about your intentions, rather the design of the knife. Which is to say, a kitchen knife is probably ok, a sword cane, probably not.

Possible, definitely. But not conclusive. Many "chorros" use kitchen knives.

TheBlackHand said:
The only " legitimate " means of defending oneself is with proper training. If you don't want to be a victim, learn how to defend yourself. Carrying guns and knives makes you just as cowardly as the ones you are trying to protect yourself from. But I digress. Carry on.

Unfortunately, we're not all octo-blackbelt karate masters who can just grab a knife/gun/machete right out of someone's hands like you apparently can. For those of us to whom the laws of physics still apply, a weapon greatly increases our odds of survival should we choose to resist.

That said, I do understand where you're coming from I think, but would point out that there's a difference between carrying a weapon and going around looking for trouble.

A weapon in an untrained hand will greatly decrease any ones chances of surviving this type of encounter should they choose to resist. Ask any trained professional. They will tell you the exact same thing. Aside from it being illegal, it can turn a simple hold up into a life and death struggle.

But I've made my points and I've also forgotten a simple tenet " Never give advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't take it ".

I'm done. Carry on.

CedarPawn said:
a weapon greatly increases our odds of survival should we choose to resist.

TheBlackHand said:
A weapon in an untrained hand will greatly decrease any ones chances of surviving this type of encounter should they choose to resist. Ask any trained professional. They will tell you the exact same thing. Aside from it being illegal, it can turn a simple hold up into a life and death struggle.

But I've made my points and I've also forgotten a simple tenet " Never give advice, wise men don't need it and fools won't take it ".

I'm done. Carry on.

Well, no shit, one ought only carry a weapon he's competent with. That should go without saying, there, Solon, though after all we regular folk aren't as wise as you. By the by, I happen to be a trained professional, though clearly not of your exalted caliber; and in my ever so humble opinion a weapon in hand, even one you've never used before in your life, is still preferable (safety-wise) to submission to some thug's tender mercies.

CedarPawn said:
Well, no shit, one ought only carry a weapon he's competent with. That should go without saying, there, Solon, though after all we regular folk aren't as wise as you. By the by, I happen to be a trained professional, though clearly not of your exalted caliber; and in my ever so humble opinion a weapon in hand, even one you've never used before in your life, is still preferable (safety-wise) to submission to some thug's tender mercies.

In fairness, knives are difficult to wield proficiently. Guns take some training as well. For an untrained person to pack a knife or gun and think he is protecting himself is risible: he needs training. Other factors come into play as well in street encounters. The first is the shock element -- which assailants use; a (prospective) victim suffers shock at an unexpected assault. Most people go into a state of paralysis -- which suits assailants just fine. So self-defence requires presence of mind and fast reflexes. Such people tend to be paranoid in the first place, people who never relax.

On a side note, a man in my town was jumped on by a Hispanic gang a couple of months back and thrown to the ground. Unbeknownst to the gang he was an ex-marine; he pulled out a 9mm and shot one of the gang whereupon the rest fled in terror (they were apprehended a few weeks later). Just sayin'. Now granted, it was a cowardly thing to do; the brave and manly thing would have been to execute some of the moves of Steven Seagal or Bruce Lee. But not all of us can achieve such proficiency and in real life (versus a production set) it might not stand us in good stead with armed assailants.

Personally - I take my hat off to the marine - and if he was in my town I would buy him a drink :) For several years of my life I carried a variety of weapons - it was my job and what I was trained to do. One of the most important points that comes of this discussion is this: don't carry something unless 1. you are trained to use it and proficient in its use and 2. you have the *will* to use it - to follow through and, although this part varies from country to country, you are 3. prepared to face the consequences. Having said all this, better 12 jurors than 6 pole bearers :)

The six ''pole bearers'' are the six guys who traditionally carry your coffin at the funeral :) lol The 12 jurors mean that you are ALIVE to ''tell the tale'' - that you probably killed the bad guy - and that you are facing trial to clear yourself so you can get on with your life :) lol I guess it comes down to my military training years ago - we learnt what I call the 7.62 mm approach to problem resolution - it has TWO distinct steps to it - whether its native ''terrs'' in the veldt or whatever - one is the two ''warning shots'' in the chest and the other is the second stage - the headshot :) lol (And never forget, your best friend, the FN FAL, likes a three shot burst best of all - after that you need to acquire the target again so you're not shooting 30 inches above ;) lol Okay - I've just had far too many cognacs and ''cafe suizos'' in the local cafe so ignore most of what I have just said lol...

Back