Kos Samos Lesbos Overwhelmed By Migrants From M.e.

They aren't bearing the brunt... the migrants aren't trying to get to Kos etc, it's just the first port of call. They stay there for as along as it takes to get their papers in order and move on. I'd much rather have my holiday 'ruined' watching them coming off a boat alive than find their bodies being washed up on the beaches. And I think anyone who would rather they stayed where they were to be killed, tortured and raped than have them spoil their week of blissful ignorance in the sun needs to have a serious look at themselves. Here's a much more balances piece of reporting of the situation in Kos, if you're interested in a perspective that isn't of the 'Daily Hate' variety:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/06/kos-migrants-tourists-greece-traffickers-sympathy-solidarity

It's easy for others to sit back and tell those Greek business owners that they just have to deal with that because these are refugees. If that's really the case, I sure hope the very people who are complaining about such a crass attitude on the part of the local business owners are doing something to put their own money or time on the line to help out with this as well. After all, we are all humans together on this planet. Something tells me this isn't going to be the case.

Something tells me, that the writer of this post obviously believes that nothing in his lifetime would render a situation, where one of his family members may be tortured or raped on this planet, by some brutal soldiers or a mob/crowd and hence this empathy for the vacationers and the hotel owners.

Kudos for your post.

Something tells me, that the writer of this post obviously believes that nothing in his lifetime would render a situation, where one of his family members may be tortured or raped on this planet, by some brutal soldiers or a mob/crowd and hence this empathy for the vacationers and the hotel owners.

Kudos for your post.

That wasn't what my post said, not even the part that you quoted. In fact, it is a serious misrepresentation.

I was specifically commenting on the immediate assumption by more than one person that because those people on the Greek islands are better off than the refugees, that there is no reason whatsoever to sympathize with them because they didn't ask for their life to be turned upside down. That they have no right to complain. Which attitude I believe is wrong.

It seems there are so many people who immediately side one way or the other, because people see things so one-sided to begin with, without worrying about whether situations affect others and whether those affected have any right to expect fair treatment themselves - often making problems worse. Too many people are happy to condemn "the evil rich vacationers" or the "evil businessman" (many of whom are neither, and many of whom had no responsibility for what happened to others and are being forced into the situation themselves), who is worried about his own livelihood and providing for his family to the point where they seem to say that this class of person has no right for concern where others are involved if they are less fortunate.

Nowhere did I say that the refugees should be turned out because they were caught between a rock and a hard place. Nowhere did I say I had no sympathy for those who were fleeing ISIS. You are simply putting a meaning to my writing which doesn't exist.

But, one tries to look dispassionately at a situation and make others see that the story may not be so one-sided and what do I get? I guess the lesson here is to completely impassioned without looking at both sides or shut up?

If you are so worried about these refugees, and you are so worried that the rich vacationers and businessmen will mistreat them - instead of trying to make me feel guilty for having sympathies on both sides of the problem, why not do something about it? That's what I meant in the part of my post that you quoted. And I sure wouldn't think any worse of you for not doing so - after all you are not affected by this directly and personally, as neither am I, aside how we may feel about all of the human misery that rains down upon people every freaking day on this god-forsaken planet.

It's OK if you feel that the Greek islanders and their vacationing clients deserve no consideration because they are better off than the refugees. It is as much your right to be what I consider somewhat hypocritical when it comes to who should have any rights to complain, just as you seem to consider me inhuman and cold when it comes to the plight of others because I try to see both sides of the situation and try to look at it without undue emotion.

Let's agree to disagree, shall we?

Indeed. Being all of us migrants here, it's so easy to empathise with either party involved in this tragedy. Including the inhabitants of the rest of Europe, nowadays paranoid about refugee quotes, their local culture being taken over and fearing all the future violence in their streets that will inevitably follow. It's not like anyone questions the fact this situation is a disaster for everyone. What I would like to know is how to find a way to turn it into a win-win. If not for all, at least for those individuals who are ready to look for solutions.

If I was Syrian you can bet good money on me walking with my family to Turkey and then crossing to Greece.
Yes but when you get to Greece who pays the bill? Greece is broke. Infrastructure is expensive. This is a huge problem. Send George Bush a thank you note.

Things are getting really bad over there. Immigrants in Calais trying to get to the UK. It is almost like a zombie apocalypse movie. I see no short term solutions for this.

http://youtu.be/syyl0gfNDRE

Things are getting really bad over there. Immigrants in Calais trying to get to the UK. It is almost like a zombie apocalypse movie. I see no short term solutions for this.

So, their Ezeiza-bound flights are leaving from Heathrow instead of DeGaulle?

Back