Ladrones at LAN--help!

DontMindMe

Registered
My boyfriend and I were planning to go to Salta for the long weekend in December. I was going to arrive early and stay a couple days later since flying there that way would not be much more expensive than taking the bus for 20 hours each way.

He (a resident of Argentina) bought me the LAN ticket in my name with his Argentine credit card. We were in a rush and very stupidly didn't think about the fact that residents of Argentina can't buy non-residents like me plane tickets for the resident price. My boyfriend realized this two minutes after buying the ticket and called LAN to see what we could do.

First, the woman told us that we could start a caso to try to get a refund, or that we could just pay the difference of about a thousand pesos and I could still use the ticket. We did the caso and they told us that no refund could be given. Okay, that sucked, but it was our dumb mistake so we understood.

This morning my boyfriend called to see about paying the difference. Well, they have since changed their tune. The LAN people now say that I can't use the ticket because paying the difference is not an option, and we can't change the ticket to his name, either. So basically, he bought a ticket that LAN has decided neither of us can use.

Am I correct in thinking that our next step is going to the Defensa del Consumidor and making a big stink? It just seems ridiculous to me that now suddenly neither of us can use this ticket, and they won't give him his money back or credit in miles or something. My boyfriend is a LAN frequent flier who uses the airline all the time for work trips, so he's not just some random dude who bought a ticket, but I don't know if that makes any difference here like it would back in the U.S. He seems pretty sure we're going to lose the money and has been grumbling all morning, but I can't help but think there's got to be something we can do.

Has anyone had an experience like this? The initial error was of course our fault, but is there anything we can do since they told us one thing and are now telling us something else?

Hmm... He should go to the LAN offices in person to handle this rather than calling over the phone. As an option, I'd suggest he does a chargeback on the ticket with his credit card company if they refuse to credit the ticket cost towards a non-resident fare for you. He can tell the card company he made a mistake with the online purchase and they refused to correct it minutes after it was submitted. He should tell LAN about his intentions to chargeback if they continue to give him a hard time.

Defensa del Consumidor is another option for sure, but that can take a long time to resolve.

FWIW, We're residents and on two occasions we tried our luck and purchased domestic tickets at the local rate for non-resident family and friends visiting. One with LAN the other with Aerolineas. Both times, we all checked in at aeroparque without issue. They took in their passports and our DNIs at check in and did not care. We were ready to pay the difference if they asked, but they never did. But I guess the chances for this are better if the non-residents are traveling with residents (as was our case).

Thanks for your response. The Defensa del Consumidor told him to contact the Asociación Nacional de Aviación Civil, but they are not picking up the phone so he's going to go over there in person this afternoon. And I was wrong before; he bought it with his debit card so the money is already gone.

Really the price for non-residents is much too much for me. If I have to pay it in this situation I will, but I'm crossing my fingers that we end up with a full refund. After all this I just want to take the damn bus...

In my opinion, you most probably won't have any problem using the ticket if you don't check any luggage. You check in online and no one asks for a DNI. My understanding is in the rare event you get caught, you just say you didn't know and pay the difference.

Like the example above, I think they just don't check. That would require organization and caring that their employer makes profits.

Now hopefully LAN hasn't made notes in your file.....

Yes, if you do a forum search, you'll find a few posts from non-residents who got away with flying on a resident ticket (by checking in online and bringing only a carry-on.) Might as well give it a shot!

You could try contacting them through Twitter - I can only find a LAN USA account @lanairlinesusa but they might be able to get you to the right people. Companies don't like to see negative stories floating around with their name attached.

Wanted to change my ticket on LAN to fly home from Mendoza Sunday morning rather than Tuesday as scheduled. Monday was out at it was a three day holiday weekend. I was going to be real stuck if there was no room. At the airport the women/girl at the counter told me there were no seats. I asked about flying standby she said "no chance" I did not see a big line and persisted louder. Another clerk looked over, and I said to both that of course I was happy to pay any difference or penalty. After a 10 minute process of not leaving and saying anything I could think of, she looked at her computer screen and found a seat. I got on the plane, and in the air I counted 31 empty seats. The Lazy B____ just didn´t want to do the paper work. Yeah put these over protected do-littles on profit sharing, that makes sense, at least for here. At best the airlines employ disgusting little people who have a new found arrogance since you can´t give your opinion without risking getting blacklisted to a no fly list. They kill the desire to travel worse than the always wacky pricing structure.

Mitch said:
Wanted to change my ticket on LAN to fly home from Mendoza Sunday morning rather than Tuesday as scheduled. Monday was out at it was a three day holiday weekend. I was going to be real stuck if there was no room. At the airport the women/girl at the counter told me there were no seats. I asked about flying standby she said "no chance" I did not see a big line and persisted louder. Another clerk looked over, and I said to both that I was happy to pay any difference. After a 5 minute process of not leaving and saying anything I could think of, she looked at her computer screen and found a seat. I got on the plane, and in the air I counted 31 empty seats. The Lazy B____ just didn´t want to do the paper work. Yeah put these over protected do-littles on profit sharing, that makes sense, at least for here. At best the airlines employ disgusting little people who have a new found arrogance since you can´t give your opinion without getting blacklisted to a no fly list. They kill the desire to travel worse than the always wacky pricing structure.

Ughhh and good for you for holding your ground. This is an industry attitude and not a continent one..ALL airline employees are public servants who hate the public with the occasional shining light exception and Who trained them in their p****y ways???? ...DELTA BLOODY AIRLINES who lead the way in "I hate you the customer" attitude..ok breathe, glad I got that of my chest..:eek:.

Well this is all news to me. :eek:

I've never flown domestically and didn't realize they have different prices for tourists vs residents. How do people find this acceptable?

I was going to suggest perhaps calling them again or visiting in person. I have been quoted different prices over the phone when calling to change the flight date with prices varying from $50 difference to $200. I think a lot of it depends on what agent you get and how helpful they want to be.

That, or just try your luck by not checking in baggage!

Back