Lan Airlines Won't Give Refunds On Refundable Tickets

I'm going to the LAN office tomorrow and I expect they will insist I used their non functional online system. In the section on Refund Method, these are the fields displayed when you select credit card refund. These fields don't make sense - but I've never had an Argentine credit card. Do these fields make sense for an Argentine credit card?

For example it prompts for cardholder's first name - but not last. Why? National ID document? And then it asks for the bank account number - not the credit card number. And then it asks if it is a savings or a checking account.

None of the questions make sense for a US credit card. Do they make sense for an Argentine credit card?

Refund through: Credit Card
Cardholder's first name
National ID document used to open the account:
Bank:
Bank account number:
Tipo de cuenta: Checking or Savings

Yes. You get your credit cards here through your bank. You don't apply for them independently.

Also the bank account number option also may allow them to pay you by a direct deposit to your account...just guessing

Good idea Tex, If I can get a $100K fine on LAN it will make the whole struggle worth while. I'm going to the LAN office tomorrow and if they stonewall me - probably just redirect me to the non functional refund web page - I will ask for directions to the Defensa de Consumidor office. I wonder if the Defensa de Consumidor will take a case from a non-resident, i.e. a tourist?

Don't want to discourage you Joe, but the D del C may not hear a case from a USA tourist that purchased a ticket in Ecuador from the Ecuatorian subsidiary of a Chileno Corporation...! :rolleyes:

Also the bank account number option also may allow them to pay you by a direct deposit to your account...just guessing
The fields changed based on where the ticket was purchased and the preferred refund method. Changing around those items yields some really whacky results. One example, if you choose ticket purchased in USA and refund method as credit card. The system displays one field

Dirección para el envío de su cheque

Address to send your check? WTF!! This is clearly a system designed NOT to work.

http://www.lan.com/c...voluciones.cgi#

Please thumbs up my Facebook LAN comment (see link below).

Optionally post a comment on my LAN comment on my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bmdailey/posts/10203347081622917

And share it on your timeline to be an Expat Superhero!

Not a good idea. Keep the post specific to your individual problem. Be selfish! do not try to be a messiah!

Actually, giving the link to this thread "could" motivate the LAN customer service to escalate the issue to a supervisor.
This thread has been read by +440 people already who fly much more often than "regular" people (we're expats). It's bad press for a few hundred dollars issue. I guess that losing just 2 or 3 expat frequent flyers (hypothesis) would account for more than those few hundred dollars.

This thread is not over too (and it will remain accessible by future expats using this forum).

Assuming you met all the specific conditions for your fare, you should get reimbursed, period. You shall win!

Reactions: Joe
Actually giving the link to this thread "could" motivate the LAN customer service to escalate the issue to a supervisor.
This thread has been read by +440 people already who fly much more often than "regular" people (we're expats). It's bad press for a few hundred dollars issue. I guess that losing just 2 or 3 expat frequent flyers (hypothesis) would account for more that those few hundrad dollars.

This thread is not over too (and it will remain accessible by future expats using this forum).

Assuming you met all the specific conditions for your fare, you should get reimbursed, period. You shall win!
As always I followed Frenchie's advice and posted a link to this thread on my FB rant about LAN.

It's not a couple hundred dollars. Refundable tickets are expensive. I think the problem is the LAN execs already spent my money on hookers and blow.

Moral of the story: Don't waste your money on a full priced LAN ticket.

As the banditos say in the LAN back office in Santiago de Chile: LAN Don't Give No Stink'in Refunds!

Back