Lan Airlines Won't Give Refunds On Refundable Tickets

Joe

Registered
I bought a fully refundable ticket on LAN Airlines in Ecuador and although I have been trying for almost two months now I have yet to get the refund.

First I went to the LAN Airline office in Micro Center and I was told, "No problem, use are super easy on-line system for refunds". I tried using this system several times and each time it comes back with an error saying the data is incorrect - but it doesn't say what particular data item is incorrect.

This is the web address: http://www.lan.com/c...evoluciones.cgi

If you ask for a credit card refund, the system doesn't ask for your credit card number but instead asks for your bank, bank account number and account type. It is clearly designed NOT to work for credit card refunds.

After several weeks of this, I finally called their call center in North America. So far I've called five times. They acknowledge the ticket is refundable and they say the money will be refunded in 10 business days. But then I call again after 10 business days and get a story after being put on hold. Some of the stories I've gotten are "American Express wouldn't accept the refund" and now "Because the ticket was purchased in Ecuador and you are currently in Argentina the refund has been delayed". "You must be in Argentine for the next 10 business days for us to attempt to process the refund again." What does the fact that I am residing currently in Argentine have anything to do with processing a credit card refund? The last time I talked to a supervisor and she gave me the same story and I told her I would just have to complain to the credit card company and she said, "Well I'm sorry you've had such difficulties...."

In addition, although the ticket says "Devoluciones sin cargo", the amount they say they are going to refund is not the total charge.

I had heard good things about LAN Airlines - especially compared to other airlines in the region - but this petty attempt to hold on to $800 is pathetic.

Customer service has another meaning in South America than in the US or Europe. The last thing you should do is get frustrated about it, since then you are punished twice. The bad customer service is for everyone, not only you. Good luck though getting your refund.

Reactions: Joe
Unfortunately joe, I had an all too similar thing happen with LAN. I bought a fully refundable ticket, documented the date and person I spoke with when I cancelled the flight, documented the transaction number, ticket number, and names of customer service agents and times of our conversations....
They at first denied I was owed anything more than a transaction fee refund ($35 vs $800US). Then they gave me a case number, and I was SUPPOSED to get a form where I could submit documentation that I had to support my claim. The form came, but wasn't a form, just a letter saying my case had gone to appeal. No opportunity to submit anything!
Well I then went to Am Ex...and started a fuss. Held on to my documentation. Four months later, miraculously and without any prior notice, a credit for another 450 from LAN appeared. It wasn't what i was owed but a lot better than $35. I vowed never to fly LAN again. And I won't, IF I have any choice. But sometimes you don't have any choice. And they figure you'll get tired of fighting and just go away. I'll bet they make a whole lot of money that way like they did off of me...

Unfortunately joe, I had an all too similar thing happen with LAN. I bought a fully refundable ticket, documented the date and person I spoke with when I cancelled the flight, documented the transaction number, ticket number, and names of customer service agents and times of our conversations....
They at first denied I was owed anything more than a transaction fee refund ($35 vs $800US). Then they gave me a case number, and I was SUPPOSED to get a form where I could submit documentation that I had to support my claim. The form came, but wasn't a form, just a letter saying my case had gone to appeal. No opportunity to submit anything!
Well I then went to Am Ex...and started a fuss. Held on to my documentation. Four months later, miraculously and without any prior notice, a credit for another 450 from LAN appeared. It wasn't what i was owed but a lot better than $35. I vowed never to fly LAN again. And I won't, IF I have any choice. But sometimes you don't have any choice. And they figure you'll get tired of fighting and just go away. I'll bet they make a whole lot of money that way like they did off of me...
I wonder how many thousands of people have been cheated by LAN Airlines in this way. How can executives drawing six figure salaries cheat people out of money in such an unscrupulous manner unless they are complete sociopaths.

I've flown Lufthansa, LAN, AirEuropa, American, Aerolineas, Wizz Air and Ryan Air in the past year.
Lufthansa, Wizz Air and Ryan Air CS were not needed. The rest were beyond crap. Incompetent and get damn angry when telling them in the nicest tone that they are wrong. Eventually most issues got "fixed" though with a couple of HUCA (hang up, call again)
Issues were:
American: Changing a flight's date. To be fair, I got caught up on 2012 "cepo" on my return leg. They wanted to charge at least U$600 plus changing fees off a U$1000 ticket. If it was for a date I wanted, costed more than a new full ticket.
Aerolineas: Rant about me having a "locals" ticket when I'm just resident. 15' later after she made phone calls, checked me in with a "you don't deserve our subsidio" look. (And I can bet I've been living here longer than her)
AirEuropa: Despegar gave me a reservation code, tried to log in to change the FF# and ugh, no reservation found. Despegar telling me to call Air Europa, and the first Woman (strong Spain accent) gave me the sudaka treatment "There's no reservation, and you can't get miles if you ain't Flying Blue (I have AR FF), blabalba". Back to Despegar "We can't do anything system not working call Air Europa". Did it again, and got a competent CS rep this time. All fixed in a minute. They use 2 different kind of reservation codes for some reason.
LAN, tried to get an award ticket with a OneWorld airline as based on miles flown instead of their crazy SA-Europe chart. HA! Good luck. Even went in person to their offices and still waiting an answer (a year later). Lots of KMs from different partner companies failing to appear. Got tired of calling and requesting them.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, try to avoid anything that requires CS contact with most airlines (I've heard Lufthansa and Middle East ones are good though) if you just have to do it...uf..whole lotta patience.

or put on facebook in spanish..they will reply immediately
Good idea. I posted my problem on their page. I expect it will be deleted in short order: https://www.facebook.com/LANenArgentina

I've never had the slightest problem with LAN, but then I've never dealt directly with LAN Argentina - it's always been in Chile or the US.

Back