Land Grabs And Squatters

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
What's the deal with the land grabs in Villa Lugano? I don't understand how squatters are allowed to take over vast areas of public land like that around the cargo terminals in Villa 31 but are being blocked in other areas.

Would also be educational to understand how people can invade private property here and are protected by the courts. Maybe someone can explain that, as well?

GS

What's the deal with the land grabs in Villa Lugano? I don't understand how squatters are allowed to take over vast areas of public land like that around the cargo terminals in Villa 31 but are being blocked in other areas.

Would also be educational to understand how people can invade private property here and are protected by the courts. Maybe someone can explain that, as well?

GS

Is there such a thing as private property in Argentina?

I plainly agree! What was the deal with those Spaniards grabbing the land of tribes who lived in harmony with Nature. But you're more likely to see "negros de mierda" on TV.

And those foreigners, sometimes illegal & originating from a wealthy country, who come here to get free Health care! But you're more likely to see "negros de mierda" on TV.

And this two-digit percentage of people who cheat taxes here, that's a steal! But you're more likely to see "negros de mierda" on TV.

That's indeed appropriation of a public space, but there are many ways to look at it.

Argentina has a huge problem covering one of the most important human rights, the right of housing.
Because of multiple factors, theres a growing situation called "emergencia habitacional". Basically more and more people come from poorer countries and poorer zones of the country to the city to live in villas and asentamientos.
The State has to manage this, as a country who signed and ratified the compromise of safeguard this human right.
Its a complex situation, I know pretty well this government has constructed lots of houses. My maid, Viviana, who was a cartonera back in 2001, recieved a new house, with 2 bedrooms and a yard, with ESCRITURA, with ESCRIBANO. When a storm blew its roof out then the government fixed that situation.

Like her, there are thousands, but the situation in spite of improving is getting worse and worse every year.

People on the indoamericano had the promisse of a decent roof, and until they dont get it, it seems they will continue doing this.

Argentina has a huge problem covering one of the most important human rights, the right of housing.
Because of multiple factors, theres a growing situation called "emergencia habitacional". Basically more and more people come from poorer countries and poorer zones of the country to the city to live in villas and asentamientos.
The State has to manage this, as a country who signed and ratified the compromise of safeguard this human right.
Its a complex situation, I know pretty well this government has constructed lots of houses. My maid, Viviana, who was a cartonera back in 2001, recieved a new house, with 2 bedrooms and a yard, with ESCRITURA, with ESCRIBANO. When a storm blew its roof out then the government fixed that situation.

Like her, there are thousands, but the situation in spite of improving is getting worse and worse every year.

People on the indoamericano had the promisse of a decent roof, and until they dont get it, it seems they will continue doing this.

The tin houses on villa Lugano already have 3000 residents and illegal electrical connections. Viva La Pepa!

Neither Cristina nor Macri wants to take the political cost of a desalojo with potential victims namely women and children.

This deal has a history. They were promised housing years ago and once again, unfulfilled promise by a government: http://www.perfil.com/sociedad/------------Una-ley-de-2005-ordeno-la-urbanizacion-del-predio-de-Lugano-20140226-0023.html

Wish they would direct their anger where it belongs: steps of the pink house.

The "right" of housing seems to be a slippery slope. Just as is the "right" of healthcare. This argument has two sides to it. On the one hand having people live in the street and without healthcare isn't right. On the other hand I don't think it motivates anyone to want to work and build something of their own when they have so much given to them. Why work when they get it for free? I think it is best to give people the basics to get on their feet and then have the opportunity to create something of their own.

But that isn't what they've been promised, is it? It also doesn't seem to be the Argentine culture.

The "right" of housing seems to be a slippery slope. Just as is the "right" of healthcare.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 25:
  • (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

...I don't think it motivates anyone to want to work and build something of their own when they have so much given to them. Why work when they get it for free?

For food, probably. I agree that it doesn't motivate people to work when they have so much given to them, however, I don't think these people are really "living it up", so to speak. I recently spoke to someone from the north who said "el plan" was of great use to many people there because 5 years ago even electricity was hard for them. It was an interesting point of view because I've heard it criticized so much. Up in the north it seems much easier to get a house, for FREE. They way it was explained was that they'll either give you the land, or the materials to build a house, and in some cases both. Why aren't people flocking to the north? Probably because everything else that comes after "free house!" is quite hard to come by.

The system is abused, whether it's a hand out or a heavy hand, and I don't really care much for politics, but I think most people in the slum work, often long hours. Even if the housing is free, they work so their kids can have food, but unfortunately they also get sucked into paying 80 cuotas for a stupid 0 km, which they never end up making good on, and flaking out 20 cuotas in.

I think most of the working class, even in Argentina, works. It doesn't mean they make good choices with their finances, though. It also doesn't mean they won't go for an easy hand out if they see one. Who doesn't?

Land grabs are pretty common in all third world countries. It just becomes impossible to pay rent at $2,500, when your wage is $3,000. So, governments kind of turn a blind eye to it. Here, the squatters seem to have more rights, though. In many countries they'd just say "to hell with these slums dwellers" and kick out everyone in VIlla 31 without many qualms as it's prime real estate.

I'd still be curious to hear someone explain a bit more about the squatting laws, though. They sound interesting. I also don't understand cooperativas.

I think there are a lot of interesting squatting laws in Europe too. Maybe that's where Argentina gets all these crazy ideas from! The States used to have a homesetter law, which allowed people living on public land for 10 years or more to keep it, but the thing in the States is that there is hardly any more public land, and it's quite hard to get away setting up camp for 10 years now a days.

Back