Landlady claiming rent transfer did not go through

Anyone feeling sorry for the "dear old 60 year old lady who won't have food for 3 months!!", why don't you guys start a fund to help this lady, instead of expecting others to have the same feelings toward this imaginary, poor lady as you do?

It's great to be charitable (I would personally just convert at the blue market rate and get it over with) but the OP thought he could save money by transferring, the lady agreed to it and the rest is history.

I have a feeling, again it's just a feeling based on what the OP has written, that the lady ain't a dumb, old person who is being taken advantage of. She asked for the blue market rate. She wanted the most out of it for herself. The OP wanted the most out of this for himself. In the end they came to an agreement. The OP has presumably held up his end of the bargain.

Just because the tenant is a foreigner doesn't mean he should be force to deal with a freakin' rent increase subject to how much the dollars turn the landlady on. Foreigners, as all of us here know, don't grow money on trees!

nicoenarg said:
Foreigners, as all of us here know, don't grow money on trees!

Speak for yourself. I personally have a money tree growing quite comfortably in my patio. :p:p:p

I think that what the lady wants is the amount of pesos required to buy the dollars agreed on the lease. No more, no less.

Locals can not buy "official rate" imaginary dollars. Most peopla do not have access to said currencies. Those are virtual dollars. There is no spoon, there are very limited amounts of unobtainable official rate dollars. and they're bound to become more and more rare, scarse.
If it was so simple, we would not be having this conversation.

TheBlackHand said:
Yes. The money never got to the property owners account. It is in limbo until BOTH the sender and receiver provide information to the central bank regarding the source of the funds and the reason behind the wire transfer. And then the Central bank can still retain up to 30% of these funds for up to a year and take their sweet time in releasing the balance of the funds.

There is NO way whatsoever for the owner to get the funds unless the sender submits paperwork to the BCRA which then goes to AFIP and then they will either release or return the funds.

If the sender doesn't provide this information within reasonable time, the property owners bank will instruct the Central Bank to return the funds to it's place of origin. And then that receipt will have no validity in Argentina since both AFIP and the BCRA will have first hand knowledge and documentation that the transaction was never completed because both the sender and receiver didn't provide the proper information.

If the sender doesn't send the pertinent financial information to the receiver and or her banking " agent " then the transaction can't be completed, and the rent will still be owed.

Someone once bought something from me and tried to pay me via international transfer since it was a considerable amount of money. For about 3 weeks he swore up and down he sent it but when I finally called the bank since it was never credited into my account, the bank told me the sender and I had to provide financial information for the transaction to go through since the central bank was retaining it. And if not, it would either sit in the central bank or get returned since the sender never gave me the documents needed to complete the transfer. In the end the sender decided it was easier to pay me in cash instead of us both having to deal with AFIP, BCRA and the whole tedious process.

That was the first experience that taught me that Argentinian banks accounts are pretty much worthless outside of Argentina, and even then..........

In the end the wire was returned, I was paid in cash, the sender received his purchased goods and all was well. Similar situation, different people, different attitudes, different scruples, different results. Go figure.

The above is not correct. The sender does not have to provide any documentation when sending a transfer into Argentina. I recently (within the past 2 months) wired 15000 for a purchase from my bank account in the US to the seller's bank account in Arg. No documentation was required on my part although the seller had to provide a great deal on her side in order for the CB to release the funds.

ETA - And I just want back and confirmed. I didn't even have a special code on the transfer. The only indication of what the funds were for was in the "memo" box, I had put the reason - in this specific situation, the name of what was being purchased. Once I received the confirmation the wire had been sent, I sent the confirmation data to the seller as a matter of courtesy.

As I recall, while the funds were debited from my account immediately, it took close to a month for the seller to receive the funds into her account due to the amount of paperwork required on her end.

Actually it is correct. This is the experience I had when I was sent money to my Argentina account. About a year ago. Not sure if anything has changed or why your experience was different then mine. But it is most certainly correct.

citygirl said:
The above is not correct. The sender does not have to provide any documentation when sending a transfer into Argentina.

Your experience was an anomaly then. The company I manage receives wire transfers on a monthly basis and has since 2009 and I personally transfer funds at least every other month. I (as sender) have never been asked to provide documentation when sending money into Argentina and my clients do not provide documentation when wiring the money to pay the invoices. So I'm not sure why you had to do so?

It's not an easy process and again, not one I would ever recommend but the person who wired the money does not in fact have to provide documentation to the recipient. The logical thing to do always, is to send a copy of the wire transfer confirmation to the recipient for their records showing the funds were wired (I always do when sending money).

Back