Landlady & Deposit...potential problems..

EDC

Registered
Hi All,

So familiar story....we are due to move out of our temp rent in a few days and already the landlady is starting to make worrying sounds about our substantial deposit. She sent a text today saying that "it is usual to give the deposit back some days later so I can check everything is right as this is common practice especially when you rent an apartment for more than one year". Obviously we wrote back saying "no, we need the money on the day" but yet to hear back. Firstly we have rented for 13 months but split into 3 temp contracts anyway. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that this isn't standard practice and definitely not something I'm going to do.

As usual, everything super buena onda until now and we have been model tennants, looked after the place and always paid the rent. Shame things always seem to go in this direction when it comes to deposits.

Any insights or advice on how best to deal with this is much appreciated. I want to keep things amicable at this stage whilst letting her know I am serious.

Thanks!

I have rented 6 apartments here in the last 5 years, and I have always gotten the deposit back on the day i moved out and handed the keys over - so on that point she is talking crap...

Dont hand the keys over until she pays the deposit back or else you might be lucky to see your money at all. Things are getting tough here now, and she is probably having problems finding new tenants so wants to keep what she can.

The other thing she knows is once you leave the country it will be to much hassle for you to try to get the deposit back.

Tell her you're not moving out or giving back the keys until you get your deposit. :p

You could invite her to come by and check everything out carefully before you actually move out (how much damage can you do in a few days?) If the timing is not good for her, "offer" to stay in the apartment a few extra days until she's able to come by and you can exchange the keys for the deposit the moment you walk out.

Even if you don't have a lot of time, make it seem like you do. ;) Apparently a landlord's worst nightmare are squatters.

I've rented 4 different temporary apartments and 3/4 times I got the deposit back on the same day.

The one time I didn't, the landlady wouldn't budge and the deposit was only $400, so I reluctantly agreed. 3 days later I went back to the apartment and the landlady's daughter claimed something was damaged that already was in the state it was when I arrived and she was deducting $50 from the $400. I argued to no avail, she said she would call her mother later in the day to to be sure. In the end they returned the $50 to me. Not everyone is out to screw you, but you definitely need to be careful.

I think in most of the standard temporary rental contracts, there is some clause stating the owner has 30 days to return the deposit. I would suggest people go over that issue before you rent any apartments here to make sure you get the deposit back the same day.

Tell her that if she does not return every penny to you on the day you are supposed to return the apartment to her that you are going to be there with your escribano who will "labrar un acta". Then you proceed to CHANGE THE LOCKS and do not return the apartment to her. There is NOTHING she can do except take you to court or beg for the apartment back, in the meantime you stay there for free. In Argentina landlord tenant disputes ALWAYS favor the tenant and she will end up paying lawyers through the nose to get her place back. If you didn't provide her a garantía then she will have no recourse. And if she threatens to go to the police she is screwed because these are civil matters, not criminal and the police won't get involved. If you don't want to pay the escribano bring a friend who claims to be one. Just have them wear a shirt and tie and carry one of those big red "libro de actas", people get really scared when they see those libros de actas!

We had one crazy landlady who threatened to "go to your embassy!". I said, "I hope you enjoy being laughed at!"
She had claimed that it was "normal" to wait until all the utility bills came the following month to prove they had been paid --- even though we had all the receipts showing payment in full.

I have had similar issues in four out of five apartments (the only exception being an American guy I rented from who did everything correctly). All was honky dory until it came time to leave. It's very disappointing (and depressing) that this is so ingrained in the culture.

Lee, you need to write a novel about you experiences here. I, for one, would def put a down payment on my copy!

I agree that you should invite her to come over now...whenever she wants over the next few days and carry out her extensive inspections. And yes, tell her that you have been advised not to return her keys unless you have your deposit. Again, make out like you have all the time in the world. I've rented 3 temp places when I first moved over here and only got my deposit back on 1 (1 landlady even took 200 dollars because I broke a cheapo juice glass...she was able to keep so much because she stalled, claiming that she needed days to inspect the place and I was leaving the country). I've noticed that with regular, 2-year contracts, most argentines just don't pay the last months rent rather than wait to get their deposits back.

Again, I repeat, please do not allow yourselves to be cheated, because it makes it more difficult for others and ENABLES these scumbag "landlords" to keep doing this to foreigners. DO NOT RETURN HER APARTMENT KEYS TO HER AND TELL HER YOU WILL NOT LEAVE UNTIL every penny of your deposit is returned. Please, let's band together and stop this stuff, you have her property and are willing to keep your end of the deal - contractual return of the property and her end of it is to return your deposit. DO NOT GIVE HER ACCESS UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR MONEY!! Have a locksmith there to change the locks and keep her out until she returns your money. Dont allow this to happen please!

Back