Language Use In Ba?

Dada

Registered
Hi everyone! :)

Lucky to find this forum. I'm moving to BA this September. It's a heart issue for me. After having spent only 3 weeks in Buenos Aires, I'm lost, can't do otherwise. :wub:

Being just in the process of trying to get my first novel (in English) published, I'm still waiting for my first million to come in, and therefore dealing with the trivial issue of having to pay my bills somehow. Ideally, without touching my hard-earned life savings. I wonder how.

With English not being exactly my first language, I guess I'm disqualified from English teaching. Never mind. Apart from English, I'm fluent in Spanish, Czech, Slovak, Russian, Italian and Swedish. All of them with an accent. Less than fluently, I can still effectively communicate in Portuguese, French and German. Not entirely lost in Lunfardo, intermediate in tango. No university degree, no ambitions to ever get one. Eternal apprentice.

I'm well aware that the value of my language capital differs enormously from country to country. Precious as gold in Sweden, for example. Probably because most Swedes speak at least one foreign language and appreciate what it takes to learn one. Entirely worthless and counter-productive in the UK (plus probably most of English-speaking countries?). In fact, I had to remove it from my CV while living in England, if I ever wanted to at least land a job (without appearing way too overeducated for the basic positions available to us, foreigners). In England, knowing a language (other than English) only labels you as an immigrant, with all it implies, such as lower salary expectations, first and foremost.

I'm still not sure what exactly the situation in Argentina is. I find it quite funny, to be suddenly promoted from an immigrant to an "expat" :rolleyes: , just by taking a plane, to a new place! Yes. A new challenge. I'm not too afraid. Something will come my way. After all, all I need is a bed, some food and a wash machine. If I can afford private tango lessons, even better. I know it will be ok. At this point, however, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions what a person like me could do in Buenos Aires, to make a living and be useful?

Lucky to find this forum. I'm moving to BA this September. It's a heart issue for me. After having spent only 3 weeks in Buenos Aires, I'm lost, can't do otherwise. :wub:

Being just in the process of trying to get my first novel (in English) published, I'm still waiting for my first million to come in, and therefore dealing with the trivial issue of having to pay my bills somehow. Ideally, without touching my hard-earned life savings. I wonder how.

Apart from English, I'm fluent in Spanish, Czech, Slovak, Russian, Italian and Swedish. All of them with an accent. Less than fluently, I can still effectively communicate in Portuguese, French and German. Not entirely lost in Lunfardo, intermediate in tango. No university degree, no ambitions to ever get one. Eternal apprentice.

At this point, however, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions what a person like me could do in Buenos Aires, to make a living and be useful?

WOW!...and WELCOME!!!

Given the list of language you speak surely you can find something to do related to tourism to generate income. I think you could probably work independently as a guide or "casual" interpreter (not translating legal documents) and not have to find a job working for someone else.

After you arrive in September, perhaps you could take a stab at novelizing one of the scenes in my screenplay about foreigners living in Argentina. I'm strong on plot and dialogue but weak on narrative prose. I can send you the dialogue of several scenes that take place in art museums in La Boca and Retiro as well as a cafe on Aranales and a hotel on Arroyo. I'll include the appropriate part of the storyline so you'll have a mental image of the action. Once you're in BA you can actually go to the locations and see them for yourself before you begin "working" on this project.

If you want give it a shot there's nothing to lose. There's no money in it for either of us at this point, but I already have a "target" audience of ten's of thousands of members on several websites who would be a great test market for an online publication that would be priced at less than $10.00 USD. The members of these websites are "fans" of one of the most widely read novels of the 20th century. So are the central characters of my story. I am willing to share the credit of authorship as well as whatever revenue (via paypal) is generated from the endeavor. You can have it all in writing, too.
emo32.gif

PS: A lot of millionaires created their wealth by offering something they produced that sells for less than ten dollars. We should become two of them.

I dont know how good your English is, but I can tell you the level of English by many of teachers in Argentina is pretty poor and 99% have a very strong accent. In fact most people here who seem to think they know English suddenly realise they dont understand many things when I talk to them at first in English. So I wouldnt let that put you off.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"In fact, I had to remove it from my CV while living in England, if I ever wanted to at least land a job (without appearing way too overeducated for the basic positions available to us, foreigners)"[/background]

Strange my Argentine wife became team leader in the city of London and commanded a 6 figure salary, she had English, Spanish and Italian on her cv and it was seen as a valuable asset when dealing with overseas offices. Are you sure it wasnt the kind of work you were going for that was the problem.

Argentina is a country of immigrants. Being multi lingual is never a detriment.
Here are a couple of links that may be useful to you.

http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/

https://www.airbnb.com.ar/s/Buenos-Aires--Ciudad-Autonoma-de-Buenos-Aires?checkin=&source=bb&ss_id=mranf630

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/sites/gcaba/files/mapa_de_red-01.jpg

After you arrive in September, perhaps you could take a stab at novelizing one of the scenes in my screenplay about foreigners living in Argentina. I'm strong on plot and dialogue but weak on narrative prose. I can send you the dialogue of several scenes that take place in art museums in La Boca and Retiro as well as a cafe on Aranales and a hotel on Arroyo. I'll include the appropriate part of the storyline so you'll have a mental image of the action. Once you're in BA you can actually go to the locations and see them for yourself before you begin "working" on this project.

Inspired by hack novelist, fanboy creates screenplay tribute that displays even less literary acumen.

This was merely succinct evidentiary criticism.

If that is true, would you please copy and paste the exact portion of the "screenplay tribute that displays even less literary acumen" than the book that you believe the screenplay tributes.

Teaser: In my screenplay (and or novel) there will be an "equal" amount of "thoughtful arguments" in favor and against the ideas presented in Atlas Shrugged. Some of those arguments will be based on the significant misrepresentation of those ideas, just like they are in real life.

There will also be personal insults and innuendos hurled by those who are not capable of expressing a thoughtful argument, just like they are in real life.
emo32.gif

Thanks! :)

Are you sure it wasnt the kind of work you were going for that was the problem.

Hehe, didn't really want it sound like a complaint about England. Sorry if it does. In fact, England gave me a lot. It's good to hear about people for whom it worked.I experienced something like your wife did, back in Sweden. Great job, great company, great salary, high respect, fast promotion...

When I came to England, I was looking for something similar to that. To my surprise, there were hardly any vacancies requiring more than one language. After sending out hundreds of applications, I finally got contacted by a language recruitment company, hiring for a call-centre. Looking for someone with native Czech, wage right next to minimum. Another language recruitment company interviewed me, for a more realistic position, and later apologized that the position was only open for people with English as first language. It took me months to understand it was not a joke. By that time, I already knew way too many foreign PhDs and engineers working in fast-foods. After long months of living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, I had to find at least some job. So I found one I wouldn't mind doing, only put in my CV the things relevant for that position and got it.

It took me much longer (years), to understand that these stereotypes are not written in stone and I don't have to buy into them. Well, at least I learned a few lessons I would have missed otherwise B) Actually, I also met an Argentine who came to London, spent a week to find out where he wants to work, got the job at first attempt, got promoted fast and made a stellar carrier! Oh boy, he had some really contagious vibe, so phanatical about what he's doing! :rolleyes:

Back