Leaving Argentina with *your* car

FAS

Registered
This must be the most bizarre law on the Argentinian books, and I would love to hear someone explain its rationale.

By all accounts it's illegal for a non-permanent resident to take a vehicle out of Argentina at any time, even if you own it. I'm trying to buy a 0km Ford EcoSport. My goal is to drive Ruta 40, bottom to top, this Spring, crossing into Chile and other nations in the north as opportunity and interest permit. With the help of various BAExpat.org good citizens I have figured out how to purchase and register the vehicle on a tourist visa, as well as get US$20,000 into the country in order to pay for it. So far so good.

And then I hit a wall: How to get across an international border with the car? My lawyer friend regrets to inform me that he knows no *legal* work-around. Everything I have read on the internet suggests that you can only get across if you happen upon a customs official who does not know or care to apply the law properly. Not one person has written about exceptions or alternatives. No one, apparently, has beaten the system.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Argentina would want to create a disincentive to purchase a car here. The EcoSport is actually fabricated in Brazil. But apparently the rule applies even to domestically manufactured vehicles. You would think Argentina would want to encourage as much purchasing as possible: the state gets the tax revenue, Argentinian car dealers make a profit, importers make a profit, and of course down the road repairmen make a huge profit. When a foreigner buys a car in Argentina, everyone benefits from the transaction. Except of course the foreigner, who can't leave with his property, even if it's only to go sightseeing!

In any case, this post is half-vent and half plea for help. Does anyone out there have any idea of how to get *your* car out of the country???

I'm a non-resident Argentine citizen and came against the same wall. No way around it, from what I could learn.

MUST you buy the car in Argentina? Couldn't you buy and tag it in Chile or Brazil, if they have saner laws?

...sent a link to this thread, to an Argentine lawyer friend of mine. Hopefully will hear back from him soon.

Reactions: FAS
Have you bought the car already? If so, then there is only one solution - get it registered in two names (your name and the name of a local argentine resident). Then your Argentine friend will have to drive you and the car across the border.

If you haven't bought the car, then there are many other solutions. 1) Buy a car in Chile as they can be taken outside the country, or 2) buy a foreign registered car from a tourist at the end of their trip. You can take foreign registered cars out of Argentina.

SaraSara said:
I'm a non-resident Argentine citizen and came against the same wall. No way around it, from what I could learn.

MUST you buy the car in Argentina? Couldn't you buy and tag it in Chile or Brazil, if they have saner laws?

Good advice, thanks. Chile is apparently the easiest place in the southern cone to buy a car. And in fact while researching yesterday I learned that new cars are less expensive there as well. The only problem is that I don't have any experience or contacts in Chile, which would make the adventure high risk. I may try posting to a Santiago expats forum to see what's possible. Will share whatever I learn...

It's my understanding that you can have an Argentine drive your car into another country with prior authorization.

How annoying this must be..and thanks for sharing the bad news...in our ignorance we maybe got lucky as we decided to have the company buy the car and then we arranged a long term lease deal on it and hence we can go to Uruguay with it no probs.

The other option is to rent a car, then you can leave the country.

So, to sum it up, an Argentine can drive your car, or you can rent a car, but you can't drive your own car. Classic A Factor!

Back