Lest we forget

Stantucker

Registered
Last night I heard Juan José Sebreli, a very well known philosopher here (and admittedly anti-peronist) call Cristina a psychopath and Albert Fernández a cynic that doesn't believe in anything (Cristina's horrible, Cristina's great). The other day I read an interview with Tomas Abraham, another very well-known philosopher (who is not anti-peronist) say that he knew that when Macri was in power that he would not be attacked when he dared criticize Macri. I heard recently that judges and state's attorneys said that he had never felt so little pressure as under Macri, even though they admitted that all govts, including this one, advocate for certain things in the judiciary through their operators. This confluence of things has gotten me thinking about the supposed good old days and even the present.

In spite of how bad things are in the country (and you won't get any argument from me there) and how badly people want Macri to go, I think it's important to remember exactly who's being elected and some of the many anti-democratic and anti-republican things they've done in the past and continue to do in the present:

1) Robbing /stealing millions from the public coffers, and made it easy for their friends and associates to do the same
2) Having people fired from public media because they aired views the Ks did not like, the most notable case that comes to mind is that of Pepe Eliaschev, a well-respected journalist who was fired from Public Radio because he criticized Kirchner
3) Programs like 678, a show on public TV (paid for, of course, with public funds) that was so partisan that it would made Pravda blush. Most of Public TV and Radio was a Kirchner fest.
4) Giving much more govt advertising dollars to media aligned with them
5) Sending the AFIP after a real estate agent that criticized what the cepo and artificially undervalued peso was doing to the real estate market
6) Putting so much pressure on the judiciary that cases against the Ks basically never went anywhere or were dismissed (Oyarbide)
7) Not once mentioning the need to fight corruption (as if it didn't exist here)
8) Cristina's Minister of Guillermo Moreno hanging a banner from the INDEC offices saying "Clarin miente," while the INDEC was totally falsifying govt statistics, and persecuting those within the agency that tried to correct that.
9) Alex Kicillof saying that to measure poverty was to stigmatize the poor. A govt official saying there was less poverty in Argentina than Germany.
10) Cristina publicly denouncing and hounding the children of the owner of Clarin as children stolen from their disappeared parents by the last military dictatorship, an claim proved to be false by DNA testing. No apology was ever offered.
11) Albert Fernandez saying that Maduro's govt is not a dictatorship, just an authoritarian democracy (an oxymoron, as JJ Sebreli pointed out). Saying that institutions work pretty well in Venezuela. Cristina's silence in face of Venezuela's current situation. Albert saying that Michelle Bachelet's humans right report "concerned him."
12) FF talking about the need to rewrite the constitution, reform the judiciary and get rid of certain judges.

I could go on.

Last night I heard Juan José Sebreli, a very well known philosopher here (and admittedly anti-peronist) call Cristina a psychopath and Albert Fernández a cynic that doesn't believe in anything (Cristina's horrible, Cristina's great). The other day I read an interview with Tomas Abraham, another very well-known philosopher (who is not anti-peronist) say that he knew that when Macri was in power that he would not be attacked when he dared criticize Macri. I heard recently that judges and state's attorneys said that he had never felt so little pressure as under Macri, even though they admitted that all govts, including this one, advocate for certain things in the judiciary through their operators. This confluence of things has gotten me thinking about the supposed good old days and even the present.

In spite of how bad things are in the country (and you won't get any argument from me there) and how badly people want Macri to go, I think it's important to remember exactly who's being elected and some of the many anti-democratic and anti-republican things they've done in the past and continue to do in the present:

1) Robbing /stealing millions from the public coffers, and made it easy for their friends and associates to do the same
2) Having people fired from public media because they aired views the Ks did not like, the most notable case that comes to mind is that of Pepe Eliaschev, a well-respected journalist who was fired from Public Radio because he criticized Kirchner
3) Programs like 678, a show on public TV (paid for, of course, with public funds) that was so partisan that it would made Pravda blush. Most of Public TV and Radio was a Kirchner fest.
4) Giving much more govt advertising dollars to media aligned with them
5) Sending the AFIP after a real estate agent that criticized what the cepo and artificially undervalued peso was doing to the real estate market
6) Putting so much pressure on the judiciary that cases against the Ks basically never went anywhere or were dismissed (Oyarbide)
7) Not once mentioning the need to fight corruption (as if it didn't exist here)
8) Cristina's Minister of Guillermo Moreno hanging a banner from the INDEC offices saying "Clarin miente," while the INDEC was totally falsifying govt statistics, and persecuting those within the agency that tried to correct that.
9) Alex Kicillof saying that to measure poverty was to stigmatize the poor. A govt official saying there was less poverty in Argentina than Germany.
10) Cristina publicly denouncing and hounding the children of the owner of Clarin as children stolen from their disappeared parents by the last military dictatorship, an claim proved to be false by DNA testing. No apology was ever offered.
11) Albert Fernandez saying that Maduro's govt is not a dictatorship, just an authoritarian democracy (an oxymoron, as JJ Sebreli pointed out). Saying that institutions work pretty well in Venezuela. Cristina's silence in face of Venezuela's current situation. Albert saying that Michelle Bachelet's humans right report "concerned him."
12) FF talking about the need to rewrite the constitution, reform the judiciary and get rid of certain judges.

I could go on.
Love it or leave it. Says the president.
Don´t forget.

Comparing Macri´s sh** to Kristina´s sh** is depressing.
They are ALL the same everywhere.
Trash Macri all you want for the economy, be my guest. But to try to equate the corruption, the authoritarianism, even the fascism, of the Ks to Macri is to practice moral equivalency at best, and to be morally reprehensible at worst.

Back