Like The "deme Dos" Days

Ries, you can argue with the BLS but those are the objective prices from May 2016.

And I just pulled up prices from Wegmans (very nice supermarket chain in Northeast)

12 eggs. $1.19
22 oz Wegmans bread (packaged) $1.19 or baguettes fresh baked family size 28 oz for $4.00
Premium Russet Idaho Potatoes 5 lb bag (so even more)$1.99

Even less than in my previous example. Prices don't lie. I am sure you are spending more but empirically, the numbers are what they are.

Thanks again I want to kill myself a dozen eggs at the Chino 2.15 $USD against Wegmans $1.19...!!
Russet potatoes here US$1.42...!!

Is Ries confused---???

I'm sure RIes is spending more and/or he's in such a small town that they don't have the economies of scale when it comes to shopping. But everyone has an n1, you need to look at general picture. I could easily go to NYC and spend a gazillion percent (Note - not actual percentage;) more than I spend here on a dinner and come back and say Buenos Aires is a bargain. In that context, it totally is. But if you're talking shopping for staples, you have to compare apples with apples (or potatoes with potatoes in this case).

We're self employed and in the fortunate position of being able to raise our income in line with inflation although even that is proving impossible to predict. It's been interesting to see how prices here have risen over the years in comparison with the UK. So much so that we buy very few clothes here and fill our cases when we visit the UK. We can get everything 50% cheaper and better quality to boot.
As for groceries...probably not a lot in it but I suspect when compared to the average salary here the UK will work out much cheaper.

I'm sure RIes is spending more and/or he's in such a small town that they don't have the economies of scale when it comes to shopping. But everyone has an n1, you need to look at general picture. I could easily go to NYC and spend a gazillion percent (Note - not actual percentage;) more than I spend here on a dinner and come back and say Buenos Aires is a bargain. In that context, it totally is. But if you're talking shopping for staples, you have to compare apples with apples (or potatoes with potatoes in this case).

When I first read Ries's post, I had to concur. But I don't buy the basic eggs, or Wonder bread. I'm in California now, and this morning bought eggs ($3.99) and a loaf of bread ($3.59). Maybe Ries and I have the same taste.

When I first read Ries's post, I had to concur. But I don't buy the basic eggs, or Wonder bread. I'm in California now, and this morning bought eggs ($3.99) and a loaf of bread ($3.59). Maybe Ries and I have the same taste.

If you normalize for California taxes, the eggs were probably about $0.95 and the bread $0.85.

You may need a new state.

" I find better, cheaper, shoes, clothes, hardware, art supplies, and almost all food in Buenos Aires."
Really? A suit in the window of James Smart is priced at around 18,000 pesos.

One easy way to track the costs of food would be to periodically compare some prices of Walmart home delivery in BsAs, some US cities and some European cities.

True but then 457 people would argue that they pay x, y or z instead and therefore that can't possibly be correct ;)

I have no dog in the fight - I simply was using the average numbers reported by the gov't to compare with the numbers Steve used to see if his hypothesis was correct (groceries still cheaper in Arg than in the US). According to the empirical numbers on those particular items - nope, not the case and they are more expensive here). However, people will continue to feel their N1 is the most valid and therefore no point in continuing the discussion. Everyone spends what they spend.

And since I live here in Argentina and am buying food here, in the end, the prices everywhere else are sadly irrelevant. I'm stuck with whatever they want to charge here.

There are surely many business people in the U.S. and elsewhere who fondly remember the Argentine "deme dos" days.
Maybe 10 years ago I stopped into a coffee and pastry shop in NYC's West Village .I was chatting in Spanish to the barista who was from Colombia
when the owner,a Frenchman who spoke some Spanish put a broad smile on his face and asked me in English with obvious "visions of sugar plums dancing in his head"
"Are the Argentines coming back?".I told him that I was a U.S. resident in Bs.As. and, since he looked so happy at the prospect, I hoped so.
"They were great for my business",he said."Big coffee drinkers and many times with a couple of French pasteries".I concurred and his place has been my "cafetin" de Bs As.in NYC ever since.

Back