Like The "deme Dos" Days

I think one of the issues here is that, in the USA, because we have no tariffs on chinese imports to speak of, and that both the USA and the Chinese government subsidize shipping to the USA, we can buy mass market chinese products incredibly cheaply.
But- and its a big but- those are the lowest common denominator, mass produced, low quality goods.
I, personally, will try to pay more to avoid slave labor, cheap design, materials, and construction, and so I buy very little of those dirt cheap Chinese, Bangladeshi, and Vietnamese made products.

This is true whether its in Argentina, or in the USA- but, in the USA, you can get that stuff very cheap.
I have been swayed, and bought a pair of jeans for 12 dollars from H&M, for example- and yes, they are ok- but they are from bangladesh, made in those factories that you see collapsing on tv. they are made from really cheap denim, poorly sewn, and tend to disintegrate after a year or so.
but they are cheap.

I also buy Patagonia brand, made in Argentina work clothes- they cost more than chinese made or bangladeshi made H&M jeans- but not by much.
They cost 1/4 as much as Carharrts or similar US work clothes, most of which are sewn in Mexico or Guatemala these days.

I buy made in Argentina mens undewear and undershirts, in bulk, in Once- they are competitive in price with made in china hanes, but I like the quality and design better.
They are, again, 1/4 the price of better mens undewear in the USA- my wife occasionally will buy me a "luxury" pair of shorts, and good brands in the USA are ten to fifteen bucks a pair, and no better than my Kopler or Lody shorts I get for 40 pesos or so a pair in Once.

I would not buy a James Smart suit- but my Hermanos Estebecorena leather vest is now 6 years old or so, still looks like new, and it cost about half to 1/3 what a similar leather vest would cost in Bellevue Mall in the USA.

As for food- I generally buy higher quality food, often organic. I dont eat wonder bread, or factory eggs that have those off white yolks. At my local grocery stores, there are mass market eggs for $2.50, or free range eggs with bright yellow yolks for $4.00. My local organic chicken and egg vendor, in the mercado on Salguero, has the same quality free range eggs, which taste noticeably better, for much less. I havent been there since februrary, so I cant tell you the current price in pesos, but its much cheaper than the equivalent eggs are here in the US.

Yes, if you buy the cheapest crap available (and most of it does, indeed, taste like crap, with lots of sugar and chemicals) you can find cheaper food in the USA.
If you buy equivalent, quality, tasty food, the USA, at least the west coast where I live, is usually about double the cost of buenos aires.
When I live in argentina, I eat the same food- fresh vegetables, quality cheeses, organic food when I can get it- I avoid sugary mass produced chemical stuff.
The same as when I live in the USA.
Although, for example, I dont buy fresh pasta much in the USA- the good stuff is seven to ten bucks a package. I buy it all the time in Buenos Aires, for, again, much much less. and its really fresh- made that day, usually mere hours earlier. Here, "fresh" pasta is packed in plastic and two days old.

and, apples for apples, argentina is cheaper for most things except imports- which, as I have said again and again, are more expensive due to artificial political and legal reasons.

Not everything made in China is cheap and low quality. Ill bet the majority of components in a Mercedes Benz are made in China. I own Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita powertools-all good stuff-made in China.

Not everything made in China is cheap and low quality. Ill bet the majority of components in a Mercedes Benz are made in China. I own Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita powertools-all good stuff-made in China.

I agree, many well known brand names manufacture their products in China. However you do get a lot of Chinese imported crap here especially the kind of stuff you get in a Pound shop in the UK whereas here they charge you ten times that. :rolleyes:

150px-DoNotFeedTroll.svg.png
dont feed the Trolls

Ries, you can argue with the BLS but those are the objective prices from May 2016.

And I just pulled up prices from Wegmans (very nice supermarket chain in Northeast)

12 eggs. $1.19
22 oz Wegmans bread (packaged) $1.19 or baguettes fresh baked family size 28 oz for $4.00
Premium Russet Idaho Potatoes 5 lb bag (so even more)$1.99

Even less than in my previous example. Prices don't lie. I am sure you are spending more but empirically, the numbers are what they are.

To your point CityGirl, calling Wegmans a "very nice supermarket chain" would be an understatement. It's more like an orgasmic supermarket experience. I took my Argie wife to Wegmans over the holidays. She said if we ever separated she wouldn't mourn the loss, because she would still have Wegmans. hahahaha

Ries.
On Wednesday,June 22.'16,
" ....I buy made in Argentina men's underwear and undershirts in bulk in Once".
While you are complaing about those Bangladeshi factories falling down, I sincerely hope that those garments were not made by the sweat shop in Caballito that burned down in March 2006 killing 3 Bolivians when Nestor K was prez.
You can read about it in today's BA Herald,"10 Years On,Illegal Sweat Shop Owners Given 13 Years".
And do not doubt it there more of them still around.

Ries.
On Wednesday,June 22.'16,
" ....I buy made in Argentina men's underwear and undershirts in bulk in Once".
While you are complaing about those Bangladeshi factories falling down, I sincerely hope that those garments were not made by the sweat shop in Caballito that burned down in March 2006 killing 3 Bolivians when Nestor K was prez.
You can read about it in today's BA Herald,"10 Years On,Illegal Sweat Shop Owners Given 13 Years".
And do not doubt it there more of them still around.

I am absolutely more in favor of supporting a sweatshop in Caballito than one in Bangladesh.
No, I do not support sweatshops as a business concept, but I know the workers in Caballito are better fed, have better schools (with free university education) better medical care, better transport, and so on than they do in Bangladesh. They make more than a dollar a day, too.
And I dont think many Bangladeshi or Chinese business owners get 13 years, either.
I sincerely hope that every business owner treats their employees as well as I treat mine.

Argentina, even in a sweat shop, is a far far better place to work than the clothes factories of southeast asia.

Ries:
From your reply I can not be entirely sure that you have read the whole Herald article.However,this trial that took 10 years to come to a verdict will open up a deep and widespread investigation into the systemic violations of labor and health violations in these BA sweatshops.
I would not think that the Bolivians who work and died there lived in Caballito but in the "villas miserias "of GBA.They very probably used the public hospitals but I seriously doubt that many of them took advantage of the free university system which at the moment is going thru a kind of crisis due to its policy of irrestricted entrance.They simply can not handle the large numbers of students who want to attend.
True.They are probably better off then in Bangladesh but the Kirchnerite boast of a Decade Won with social inclusion rings a little hollow in these circumstances.
Slow justice is no justice and I seriously doubt that if Scioli had won we would have seen any justice at all.

I have just returned BsAs after a long while.I have shopped at Disco many times, and realized the Chinese markets are much cheaper, the veggies and wines especially.
There is a bigger market owned by Chinese at Beruti and Arenales, the wines they sell is 50% of Disco's price.
Yes, the price is much higher now. But things are not no expensive than US if you live the same style. I have people work in my apt for a few days, finally they asked if 4000 peso was OK ? Try to have a maid and contractors work at your house for a few days in US , it will cost 10 times more. Having a maid or a driver is a luxury thing in US, even Arnold Schwarzenegger has to compensate maid by sleeping with her :), $ is not enough.

If you shop carefully, the living cost is not too bad. Of course you have a lot more affordable options in US. I ate with a friend at a few parilla places (Buenos Aires Grill at Santa Fe y Callo, recommended by forum fellow), steaks with a bottle of good wine, always around 1000 pesos, about the same as in US, except the wines are cheaper in Argentina.

People do have the inflation mentalities, everyone is trying to charge you more. It's going to take a while to calm people down, if it ever does. People in Argentina seem to have more pain that caused by the inflation for more.

Back