Lisbon Vs Buenos Aires

Lisbon is a great city;very polite population. I could not handle a third language and the hills.

Madrid and Barcelona fine cities also, but the deal in Spain is Valencia. Third largest city in Spain and way cheaper than Madrid or Barcelona. Also on the water.

Lisbon is a great city;very polite population. I could not handle a third language and the hills.

Madrid and Barcelona fine cities also, but the deal in Spain is Valencia. Third largest city in Spain and way cheaper than Madrid or Barcelona. Also on the water.
Hills are good for your heart :=)
N

I was going to chime in the same. We're flying into Valencia in a couple weeks to check it out since it's been years since last in the region. We like 2nd/3rd cities...that's how we chose Cordoba rather than BsAs. We're returning from Barcelona, of course. Can't miss the chance to spend a few days there.

I was going to chime in the same. We're flying into Valencia in a couple weeks to check it out since it's been years since last in the region. We like 2nd/3rd cities...that's how we chose Cordoba rather than BsAs. We're returning from Barcelona, of course. Can't miss the chance to spend a few days there.

A previous regular on this board (James Tusa) moved to Valencia in 2014 and bought a place there in 2015. I met up with him on a visit to Andalucia. I have his email I can send by PM if anyone is interested in trying to meet up and get his perspective

I recently spent time in Lisbon and it's an ok city but I wasn't overly impressed vs. Southern Spain. Personally, I'd look at Southern Spain vs. Lisbon. Besides the obvious language barriers of learning Portuguese (I assume you already speak Spanish). I found Southern Spain to be VERY affordable. The beaches were fabulous and the cost of living was VERY good compared to Buenos Aires. I really enjoyed Marbella and there are a ton of cities along the coast where you can get a reasonable rent. Restaurants were VERY affordable compared to Buenos Aires.

The quality of life was really high. It's shocking how expensive Buenos Aires has become. There is very little tourism there compared to years ago. If you go to restaurants, they used to be full of tourists but now it's just mostly locals. I just came back from a trip there and the restaurants are more expensive than the USA now. I found the city to be cleaner, security looks to be better as I noticed much more police around several neighborhoods. But it's really super expensive now.

Spain would be a good call vs. Portugal, IMHO. I had a friend move to Nerja, Spain a few years ago and he loves it. He has kids and living a really high quality of life for not too much money.

I recently spent time in Lisbon and it's an ok city but I wasn't overly impressed vs. Southern Spain. Personally, I'd look at Southern Spain vs. Lisbon. Besides the obvious language barriers of learning Portuguese (I assume you already speak Spanish). I found Southern Spain to be VERY affordable. The beaches were fabulous and the cost of living was VERY good compared to Buenos Aires. I really enjoyed Marbella and there are a ton of cities along the coast where you can get a reasonable rent. Restaurants were VERY affordable compared to Buenos Aires.

The quality of life was really high. It's shocking how expensive Buenos Aires has become. There is very little tourism there compared to years ago. If you go to restaurants, they used to be full of tourists but now it's just mostly locals. I just came back from a trip there and the restaurants are more expensive than the USA now. I found the city to be cleaner, security looks to be better as I noticed much more police around several neighborhoods. But it's really super expensive now.

Spain would be a good call vs. Portugal, IMHO. I had a friend move to Nerja, Spain a few years ago and he loves it. He has kids and living a really high quality of life for not too much money.

I will of course second this having settled in Andalusia some 5 years ago, outside Seville. The people are just the best I have ever encountered in my life. I just took 3 Spanish friends to celebrate St Patrick´s with me in Dublin last weekend and we didn´t stop talking or laughing for 4 days. Culture is low on the ground in some of the coastal areas outside malaga but being close to Seville works well for me in all aspects.

I will of course second this having settled in Andalusia some 5 years ago, outside Seville. The people are just the best I have ever encountered in my life. I just took 3 Spanish friends to celebrate St Patrick´s with me in Dublin last weekend and we didn´t stop talking or laughing for 4 days. Culture is low on the ground in some of the coastal areas outside malaga but being close to Seville works well for me in all aspects.

I TOTALLY agree with you fifs2! I really enjoyed Seville as well. Beautiful city, amazing food! Still, if I had the choice, I'd want to be a bit closer to some beaches. I rented a car for 5 weeks and drove all around Portugal and Southern Spain. I was really really impressed with Southern Spain.

Spain is great I agree but the taxes are high. Portugal offers non-habitual residents scheme so if you qualify you get very low taxes which makes a big difference month to month.

http://www.livinginportugal.com/en/moving-to-portugal/tax-regime-for-non-habitual-residents/

Back