Living in a house in Capital Federal

I can't. this means, this option is not for me?
I did not mean "contract" someone to stay in the house while you are away. My extended family offers the use of their homes, while they are away, to relatives and friends who live in small apts to enjoy temporarily a garden and a terrace in peaceful surroundings. And they leave the pantry stocked and the refrigerator full.

Perhaps an alternative could be a PH in a small bldg as opposed to an apt in a large complex. It doesn't appear to me that living in a house might be a good choice for you.

I could give a answer to that. But some members here may get offended with my answer and I want to be in harmony. My issue has implications with CONVID -19.

For this thread, I do not want to deviate from my original query.

I understand your problem .. if one has visitors to the building neighbours may resent it .

My neighbour from across the hall told me during the quarantine that owners had agreed to go out ONCE a day, and that I had gone out 3 times that day. The neighbour his wife and child, stood in the hallway and scolded me and pleaded consideration for them as well as myself being in a high risk group..!! He indicated that I could be reported..!

Similar situations happened to Heath workers that are resented by building tenants.

Guys, I require your advice.

Recently, I have been renting 2 apartments. One, my main one ( in a stellar building, probably one of the best known in Argentina), where I have lived a long time which had become like a expensive Jail..with 1000000 rules and regulations. And almost everyone ( these rich people )... own a dog or several dogs, so I hear barking dogs whole day and night long, in this jail. And I have rented one more apartment, a inexpensive one, which I use for my training with my 3 teachers, as well as meeting guests friends and business meetings.

Guys, despite all your warnings, I have been on a hunt - and reason for posting under this thread. I am absolutely in love with a very very pretty mind-blowing house in Belgrano R ( to rent for a 3 year period) within my budget. Its on street O' Higgins, 2 blocks aways from Av. Cabildo. and Jose Hernandez Subte Station. I also have seen some amazing houses on street "Ombu" in Palermo Chico...but its been out of my budget ( as yet..at this point of time)..My question is back about security. I am in a mood to take risks, as I firmly believe, Life is meant to be led taking some calculated risks and some calculated bets. I already am aware, there will be risks.

What are the things I can do to minimize the risks. Some of the things, I plan to do is :-

1. Not keep anything expensive except my MacBook Air, iPhone X, some cash - maybe up to 2000 us$ in pesos.
2. Rent a safe deposit box at a private security company, at keep rest of my valuables in it, outside the house
3. Hire a Insurance company and get myself insured for robbery
4. Hire a alarm company
5. Hire camera monitoring company. Fix 10-20 cameras everywhere.

What are things, I can not do :-

1. Invite family or anyone to live over to watch it over.
2. Invite a guard/maid to live over

What I am looking from you guys is "devils' advocate" approach as to -

aa) What else I can do to live safely in a house.
bb) How safer will it be spending for a more, for a house in street "Ombu" to a. house in "Belgrano R"
cc) How likely, I can be broken into, when I am, actually in the house
dd) Any other fantastic ideas to improve my safety?
ee) Any special ideas? Any "out of the box" approach to it?

About me - Frequent traveler before the Pandemic. Presently, in Argentina for last 5 months. Probably will travel less frequently when things open up..but maybe gone for longer periods.

I am really looking to take the leap. Positive suggestions most welcome. \

Looking for great advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ceviche,

Will need to think this over for a while but here are my first impressions.

I used to have wealthy friends living in a large house on O´Higgins back in the day. Beautiful street, lovely old houses.
My first concern would be trusting someone enough to keep taps on you. If you suffer an "entradera" who is to find out immediately? You could vanish for days before your absence be noticed.
As far as I remember, the blocks I was familiar with and those surrounding the area were kind of dark on a sunny day.
Coming in and out of the house would be a risky task for a single guy.

Do not think the risk of a break in while you are already there is significant, compared to while in transit.

Not particularly fond of cameras, much less of rent a cop services. Those would be my primary suspects. Find out if there is already an old guy, trusted by the local, patrolling or watching the street. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL with any contractual solution offered. Small print is crucial. You don´t want to end up being responsible for the guy if SHTF. Same could be said for your current location.

If you go for the cameras, have someone install them but do not pay a monthly feed. Only get them serviced if and when. Otherwise is a racket and a breach of your own personal security. Make sure you are the only one with access to the dyndns site that broadcasts your cameras, not the IT guy.
Make a habit of checking the cameras before entering or leaving the premises.

Finally, do not bother to keep too much cash in pesos. We speak dollars. Burglars or thiefs will expect foreign currency in the area and specially from a foreigner.

Just my 2cts

Iz

Been many years since i dumped the subject but here it is:

First rule of the Fight Club: We don't talk about the FC!
Same goes for personal security on public boards.
You already gave up too much and if you were to move to the O Higgins house someone would only need to search 4-6 blocks for a new foreign arrival, near the subte station. See what i mean?
There was a trend of referring to people as sheep, sheepdogs and wolves years ago following a famous article. Stop thinking like a sheep and start acting like a wolf. Be the predator and think like one and you'll find the flaws in your own plans.
Also, if you stand like a predator, others will stay away from you. They go for the easy preys.
The Art of War and The book of Five Rings are periodic mandatory readings. They will adjust your every day attitude to safer and more aware standards.
There are very interesting and entertaining books out there. Bodyguard, Witsec and former presidential SS top dogs have written great practical stuff.
You can apply the tricks used to protect third parties to yourself.
You might learn how to «see» the world differently. Awareness is the key.

Rules for operating under low light suggest you see yourself from the opponents point of view.

Can't tell if the books are still available online but could find you some titles if you want.
You owe me a few hours sleep ;)

Stay safe.

Iz

Wise advices.
I would add Carlos Castaneda books to the listing you mentioned. The tricks and learning experience about adapting to "new realities" apply perfectly to the adventure of what it means living in Argentina.

I own the hard copy of "The Art of War". One of my favorite quotes from it "When strong, appear weak". Let people laugh at you, its great.

Some of your posts are damn dramatic. But I appreciate your input. I remember even in our private message exchanges, in last 10 years, you always tried to put a scare in me. I don't know, if I am shivering in scare as yet but I appreciate your intentions. You never believed me that I come from/grew up in a v shit 3 rd world country which was/is 100 times more shady/dangerous than any barrio or provincia of Buenos Aires. I love being underestimated. I always want to be underestimated. Humans have too many theories. People have theories about people, they know nothing about and its great - its keeps them distracted. If you want to do big things in life, you want others to be distracted about you. Its one of the cognitive biases and this one is called the "certainty bias". People want to be "certain" about other people. They. want to say "Oh, this is how the world works. Oh, this is what you are doing wrong blah bla".

Will look up the other books..mentioned. Have not read them.

Last edited:
Well, you are misquoting Tsu if you want to avoid confrontation.Predators go after the weakest target, not the hardened, and apply brutal force to get into youur OODA cycles and control you.
Your quote is good for business and work, not to avoid being mugged on the street.

Have NEVER tried to put a scare in you. NEVER.
I´m of a pessimistic nature and think that preparing for the worst and hoping for the best is the way to go, not the other way around. Just read my posts anywhere on this board. Just my nature.

We never got to discuss your origins, must have the wrong person.

Keep the advise, it´s free.

Iz

Back