Lockdown could last another 6 to 10 weeks

Last night drove from Rosario, Santa Fe to Palermo. Started 2300 and reached 0300. Did not encounter any police anywhere.

Not surprising, like the Eagles used to sing: You can enter any time you want, but you can never leave...

Uruguay has 7% the population of Argentina and it has no overcrowded slums alike Villa 31 for example.
So, to campare it with a province is right, in fact, it used to be part of our territory.
If you make a rule of 3 in order to campare Uruguay with Argentina, they they have 11.420 cases.
The comparison is correct because they have almost the same population but Uruguay has almos 315% more cases: Uruguay 3.449.000 inhabitants / 826 and Santa Fe with its 3.369.000 inhabitants / 262 Covid-19 cases.

Brilliant demonstration. Uruguay therefore has nothing in common with Argentina, I stand corrected.

But wait, can our brilliant statistician explain in the same way, why Argentina shall be compared instead with Sweden or Norway?

Uruguay does have its share of overcrowded slums, some quite visible. There's a big one right at the base of Montevideo's Cerro, and another one right smack in the middle one of of Punta del Este's classiest areas.

Barrio Kennedy is Uruguay's best kept secret - hidden in the pine woods, but only one block away from the El Golf Club posh links.

Brilliant demonstration. Uruguay therefore has nothing in common with Argentina, I stand corrected.

But wait, can our brilliant statistician explain in the same way, why Argentina shall be compared instead with Sweden or Norway?
Sweden and Argentina are the two extremes: no quarantine vsus early quarantine. Do you need an explanation with apples? Here we go: Sweden has 45 dead apples every 100.000 apples while Argentina has 1.2.
I don’t need to be Churchill, you neither to ser this facts.

Am hearing in CABA we may be allowed to go running between 20:00-08:00 and clothes shops will be open. Still no barbers or hairdressers.

I get the feeling AF is being forced to give more liberties in CABA because people are taking them anyway and their eyes are starting to open to the simmering discontent and economic fallout starting to trickle down. Plus the added bonus that if it all goes to shit he can push HL in-front of the bus and get rid of a future challenger. For this reason CABA will be the testing ground for PBA.

Today I went to the supermarket and the streets were very busy with foot traffic. Also with small groups / pairs of friends catching up with one another going for a paseo. I met some neighbours by chance on the street and we stood around in a small group chatting (2m apart!) next to two police officers who said nothing. A guy walked past with no mask and they also said nothing. At the supermarket couples and friends shopping together and parents bringing their kids along. Last night I went downstairs to collect a delivery at the door and a guy in running gear went running past.

More and more cafés are open for "takeaway" and more people are going out just to grab a "takeaway" in order to stretch their legs or get a change of scenery. I notice very strict traffic checkpoints around my neighbourhood this week but on Friday last week the traffic on Libertador was back to normal - non stop and almost bumper to bumper.

Here you are confused.
AF is not a dictator. Governors decide how strict the quarantine is. This is a Federal country. He needs a Federal intervention to take direct enforcement and it needs the approval of the Congress.
CABA is macrista, of course that the commitment with the quarantine here is lower, but deaths are going to be higher.
If the quarantine was working it was because of consensus with governors, mayors and people.
In my opinion you have to be an idiot be to hanging out when the pike is predicted for June 10th.
In fact, yesterday I took my wife to the prenatal weekly check and I saw a lot less people at Santa Fe between Calla and Pueyrredon.

I don't have so much knowledge about Larretta other than he was head of ANSES under (peronist) Menem and has worked with various political factions over time and has also written many books that seem to display a strong social conscience - I do appreciate his down to earth and calm style and ability to put politics aside and work with whoever on whatever is needed. Am not a fan of his handling of COVID refusing to lockdown heavily infected areas / buildings etc.

Plus CABA is really a great city to live in (for Latin America) and have seen continuous improvements over the years since 2015 for the most part. Public spaces are well maintained. Cool things like health monitoring stations and free bikes have popped up along with more safer bike lanes. Better bus systems and traffic controls. Also understand many schools have been opened and some housing projects completed in various villas (e.g. 31 next to the autopista on the port side) Security also feels to have improved with greater visibility of police and more professional conduct and there has even be less dog poop on the streets (Until recently.... I think quarantine is giving people an excuse not to clean up after their dogs and its back to playing dodge-em!)
Yes! The dog crap problem was getting so much better. Now, there is crap everywhere. No attempt at all to pick it up.

Here you are confused.
AF is not a dictator. Governors decide how strict the quarantine is. This is a Federal country. He needs a Federal intervention to take direct enforcement and it needs the approval of the Congress.
CABA is macrista, of course that the commitment with the quarantine here is lower, but deaths are going to be higher.
If the quarantine was working it was because of consensus with governors, mayors and people.
In my opinion you have to be an idiot be to hanging out when the pike is predicted for June 10th.
In fact, yesterday I took my wife to the prenatal weekly check and I saw a lot less people at Santa Fe between Calla and Pueyrredon.

I didn’t call him a dictator. But he does rule by DNU and as far as I understand he is directly involved in reviewing And approving all of the provincial plans - hence why LR spends half his time at Olivos and any measures are announced by AF before HR. Oh but, Macri... enemy of the people and all...

Check the R factor and also the situation room. The vast vast vast majority of cases are in the villas. Palermo, the most populated neighborhood, has about 80 cases. Or the government stats are not to be believed...

Sweden and Argentina are the two extremes: no quarantine vsus early quarantine. Do you need an explanation with apples? Here we go: Sweden has 45 dead apples every 100.000 apples while Argentina has 1.2.
I don’t need to be Churchill, you neither to ser this facts.
What about Norway? Tell me more about their lockdown measures and plans for any future bouts of virus.

Yes! The dog crap problem was getting so much better. Now, there is crap everywhere. No attempt at all to pick it up.
People were picking it up due to fear of other people. Now , streets are empty...why pick their dog's shit. Only fight for animal rights and use dog for therapy but not pick its shit.

Here you are confused.

This exactly. I was going to post something like this last night, but decided I didn't know the details of Argentine government well enough. Thanks for taking point, Bajo. And congratulations on the imminent birth of your child. These are terrible times, but babies don't care, they just keep coming.

OH, and English teacher thing, sorry - what's predicted for the 10th is the "peak", meaning highest point of something. A "pike" is a melee weapon like an extra-long spear, and also the name of a type of fish. Don't be embarrassed, the other day I said "pajeros" when I meant "pasajeros". You should have heard my friends laugh at me.

Back