Long Hot Summer ...power Cuts

I figured as much. Thank you.

Reliability of broadband is also a concern. Perfection is not necessary, but Pretty Good is a somewhat necessary standard.

Define pretty good. My latency to most US based servers hover around 200ms.

I figured as much. Thank you.

Reliability of broadband is also a concern. Perfection is not necessary, but Pretty Good is a somewhat necessary standard.

Not to discourage you Alex, but you don't want to put yourself in a position to rely on ANYTHING to work in Argentina. For me, this is the Golden Rule for surviving here.

Broadband generally works, but I've gone periods where it goes out for and hour or so at a time. Or, it's really slow at certain times of the day. Or it just doesn't work for a week because there is a "problem in the neighborhood."

Not to discourage you Alex, but you don't want to put yourself in a position to rely on ANYTHING to work in Argentina. For me, this is the Golden Rule for surviving here.

Broadband generally works, but I've gone periods where it goes out for and hour or so at a time. Or, it's really slow at certain times of the day. Or it just doesn't work for a week because there is a "problem in the neighborhood."

I understand, and I can live with that, as long as it somewhat adequately works most of the time.

But yes, point taken. That is indeed a Golden Rule to live by. After all, I live in Armenia right now. Read up on its geopolitical and economic situation if you're bored. :) I can't say for sure, but I have the strong suspicion that it can give Buenos Aires a run for its money in terms of infrastructural fragility and economic disorder, although crime here actually isn't much of a problem at all.

Sad but true weve always had our office close the casa rosada to have greater certainty of power during the cuts season...even that isnt a gtee as Claro left us high and dry for over a week after the subway works in Corrientes damaged their cabling but thanks to our office building connections we had internet form another source. Quite frankly its pathetic that any serious company has to make such considerations in this day and age.....can't imagine why Google went to Chile for their new data center.... <_<

can't imagine why Google went to Chile for their new data center.... <_<

Given Chile's earthquake-prone character, as well as Argentina's relatively well-developed connectivity, macroscopically speaking (despite the manifold faults we're discussing), I find that rather surprising as well.

We've had power cuts on and off for the past two weeks here in Palermo (S. Ortiz and Las Heras). The other day it was 6 hours and a mad rush to Starbucks for all of the work from homers!!

We've had power cuts on and off for the past two weeks here in Palermo (S. Ortiz and Las Heras). The other day it was 6 hours and a mad rush to Starbucks for all of the work from homers!!

That sucks. If it's as good as it gets in Palermo, wonder what the rest of the city is like.

When does "cut season" generally end?

That sucks. If it's as good as it gets in Palermo, wonder what the rest of the city is like.

When does "cut season" generally end?
It isn't as easy as one neighborhood is better than another, more like block by block. I only lost power for about 30 minutes last week here in San Telmo, though the people accross the street had power the whole time I was dark, this was the first time I had a problem in about a year, on the other hand a friend about 10 blocks away lost power for 2 days, and another friend about 4 blocks away hasn't lost power in years, as to internet I haven't had a problem since I changed out my modem last year.

My block didnt experience any cuts, but those on either side lost their power for a few hours last wednesday. Seems indeed to be block by block.

Back