looking for good bread

ElQueso said:
$500 pesos gets you a Top House bread making machine. Three hours for a slow basic recipe - 1 1/2 hours for fast recipe. Two minutes to pour the ingredients in the machine. We made some tonight for an expat dinner we do - it came out marvelously well. Piping hot bread just in time to serve with dinner. Mmmmm.
Damn! That sounds good.....did I miss another dinner last night?

DavieW said:
I'd buy it!

I actually thought about starting ANOTHER business. As some of you from the board who know me, I used to own a retail business in Buenos Aires, but due to the corrupt inspectors looking for bribes, getting held up at gunpoint in my store, awful business partner, after dealing with that stuff for 3 years, I gave up. If I had a good, solid, hard working business partner or partners, I would certainly give it a go again.

mariposa said:
I personally don't like Hausbrot at all. It is so dense it's a lethal weapon. (And why the "German" name? It has nothing whatsoever to so with German bread.)

A new Viennese Bakery Das Brot..!! has from ciabata to croissants to pain au chocolat, baguettes, Italian Country Breads. Sorry No Sourdough:(
Azcuenaga 10xx near Santa Fe Av.

mariposa said:
I personally don't like Hausbrot at all. It is so dense it's a lethal weapon. (And why the "German" name? It has nothing whatsoever to so with German bread.)

Eastern european breads by nature are very dense due to the hard winter wheat that is used and the high gluten content in the flour. If you don't like that kind of bread then Hausbrot is not for you. Stick to plain white flour french "style" and I say "style" because baugettes and other white breads here are nothing like they are in France or even Canada at that. They are tasteless in my opinion. And if you want even softer "wonder" style white and wheat bread, the supermarket shelves are full of those soft packaged breads, which in my opinion are hideous tasting here as they are all over the world.

Davidglen, I read this whole thread waiting to see where someone else asked you to share your recipe. I'm amazed they didn't after that description. Is that considered rude or something? Well I wade in where angels fear to tread. WILL you share your recipe? It sounds wonderful.

I'd be more than happy to share my recipe, however I have to think about the measurements, because I just really throw things in without measuring. What would be more fun is if we could have an expat bread bake off one day.

Eastern european breads by nature are very dense due to the hard winter wheat that is used and the high gluten content in the flour. If you don't like that kind of bread then Hausbrot is not for you. Stick to plain white flour french "style" and I say "style" because baugettes and other white breads here are nothing like they are in France or even Canada at that. They are tasteless in my opinion. And if you want even softer "wonder" style white and wheat bread, the supermarket shelves are full of those soft packaged breads, which in my opinion are hideous tasting here as they are all over the world.

I grew up in Germany, and I do understand (and like!) those breads. And, thank you, none of the above. I repeat, there is no good bread in Buenos Aires. (For my taste anyway, and i don't know that Viennese bakery some one mentioned.)

Mariposa, what's your vision of good bread? What do you like, specifically, besides sourdough?

Mariposa, what's your vision of good bread? What do you like, specifically, besides sourdough?

Generally speaking I like bread with a good crust, texture, flavor, preferably non-white. I like a lot of German breads (of which Hausbrot is a pathetically poor imitation), French, Portuguese and, yes, NYC breads. I really like a lot of different breads. I have never found one I liked in Buenos Aires, in 5 years of looking. OK, one of my favorite restaurants in Palermo Soho makes their own bread which I love. I won't mention the name of the restaurant, it's already getting way too popular....

Back