Lovely Kitten needs a home

I will take my posts off now and apologise since this is the case . I did not know this was the case Sara and shame on United Kindgom for treating animals like slaughter .

I don't think that anyone was attacking this particular OP (especially given that he/she was "given" the animal). I have no idea what their particular circumstances were/are and I specified this at the start of my original post. I think it's great that this person is trying to re-home the animal but I also think that this is an appropriate forum/post in which to discuss this issue.

I've met several expats here who come down for a couple of years, buy some furniture, some real-estate, a baby-animal (usually for their own pleasure and not necessarily for the benefit of the animal) and then hit up Craigslist etc to re-home their animal when they've had enough and decide to go home.

I do appreciate that there are thousands of homeless animals here. Even so, that doesn't make adopting a baby animal for a few months right if you're only going to leave it a while later. Adult animals are notoriously difficult to re-home, animal abandonment is a real problem here and animals themselves go through a lot of turmoil being shipped from one owner to another. You're not doing any animal a favour picking it up from the streets as a baby and then depositing it back there as a defenceless adult six months later!

The post was NOT meant to cause offence or provoke an argument, rather speak up against cases where animals are adopted temporarily by long-term tourists, then discarded - which, unfortunately, happens A LOT in the BA expat community. You don't have to jump on people for bringing to light a real problem here...

bradlyhale said:
Oh, stop it.

There are too many homeless dogs and cats. Not all of them will ever have a home, and many of them will die on the streets or be euthanized.

The OP took the cat in because it had nowhere else to go. Now she can't take care of it anymore. Is this ideal? No, but neither is the former.

I don't think that anyone who takes an animal off the streets is cruel or devaluing the animal in anyway. I think just the opposite; The OP came here trying to find a new home for the cat, only to be attacked for her efforts.

I suppose the OP could just put the cat back on the streets. Would that suit you all?

If they were buying pets and abandoning them I'd agree, but taking in a rescue animal from the streets for a few years is better than leaving the animal on the streets.

That way the animal gets well fed, cared for, vaccinated and possibly rehoused. The alternative that its left on the street to fend for itself.

Its tough leaving animals behind, but I'm not sure its better to leave them on the streets in the first place than care for them temporarily.

jp said:
If they were buying pets and abandoning them I'd agree, but taking in a rescue animal from the streets for a few years is better than leaving the animal on the streets.

That way the animal gets well fed, cared for, vaccinated and possibly rehoused. The alternative that its left on the street to fend for itself.

Its tough leaving animals behind, but I'm not sure its better to leave them on the streets in the first place than care for them temporarily.

Taking a kitten off the streets, even temporarily, may give it a chance to live. Plus, spaying it results in fewer unwanted kittens.

Ashley, consider that often people plan to stay for a few years but find out that the place does not suit them. Or they run out of money and are forced to move on.

I understand lonely expats adopting a pet without realizing that they may have to leave it behind when they move on. But I can't understand Argentines who take in stray puppies while on vacation only to abandon them when the summer is over.

Well, I certainly appreciate all your opinions. We're just going to have to beg to differ on this one.
I personally don't see such a massive difference (with an emphasis on the massive), between adopting a kid and then abandoning him when it's no longer convenient, and doing the same to an animal...but that's just me!

I agree 100% Ashley.

I think it's horrible to adopt something or someone while on vacation to " have fun " only to abandon it later when the vacations over. I guess some people think because you gave it a few free meals that makes up for the abandonment. Not me. I just hope the next person who temporarily " adopts " that kitten isn't also on vacation. It's like a game of hot potato with some of these people.

I might be missing something but what are these complicated import laws into the UK?
According to DEFRA cats and dogs coming from Argentina do not need to be quarantined if you follow the rules of the Pets Travel Scheme.

Scheme:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/procedures/owners.htm

Qualifying Countries:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/procedures/support-info/other.htm

Factsheet:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/factsheet/factsheet4-100621.pdf

To answer Miles Lewis:

Your dog or cat may not enter the UK under PETS until six calendar months have passed from the date that your vet took the blood sample which led to a satisfactory test result (see below). Once the vet has issued the PETS documentation and that six month period has passed, the PETS documentation is valid for your pet to enter the UK.

I found out from Defra prior to adopting my cats. I don't think it's so much "complicated" - it's just a long-winded process. The animals have to be microchipped, then have a rabies shot...then six months later, they have to be tested (and found negative) for rabies...at which time they can be certified to enter the UK. So it's a six-month process...at least and not something you can do a couple of weeks before you leave. It's not like going back to the states, where you can probably get all the paperwork together within a couple of days.
I think my point was that people should look into the possibilities of them having to leave a little more before adopting a kitten/puppy.

Also - it's a lot more likely that a kitten/puppy will be adopted over an adult animal. Thereby, yes, I believe that taking a kitten/puppy in for a few months is not doing it a favour, but rather lowering it's chances of finding a permanent home.

cabrera said:
I will take my posts off now and apologise since this is the case . I did not know this was the case Sara and shame on United Kindgom for treating animals like slaughter .

And animals are not treated like slaughter in the UK. It is up to owners to be responsible and investigate the laws prior to adoption/purchase. The laws are such to prevent rabies. If the owner thinks ahead and obtains PET certification, the animal is not put in quarantine.

Ashley said:
Well, I certainly appreciate all your opinions. We're just going to have to beg to differ on this one.
I personally don't see such a massive difference (with an emphasis on the massive), between adopting a kid and then abandoning him when it's no longer convenient, and doing the same to an animal...but that's just me!

You seem to be very disconnected from reality. Regarding children, you live in a city where many don't have Moms or Dads. It's particularly problematic in the villas miserias. Wouldn't you agree that any stable home is better than no home at all, even if it's temporary? Let's stop being holier-than-thou for a second and think about the alternative.

Have you ever heard of foster children? How do you feel about foster parents? You know, those people who take homeless kids in on a temporary basis? Are they horrible people who only take in children for some warm fuzzies? Or should these kids just stay in orphanages or remain homeless?

If Anushka had not taken the cat, where would she have gone? What if she never found a home? Would the cat be wandering the streets, eating scraps from trash? Would she have been put down? Hit by a colectivo?

Geesh, some people will find a reason to complain about anything.

Reactions: jp
Back