Lower-Cost Alternatives to BA?

I own à place and à car in southern Spain, lived in Granada for about à year and visit 1-2 times à year for THE last 10 years and there is no way i Would want to live in Spain now. Its such à depressing place and it looks à lot like BA in 2003 right now

As for the col, it depends on what you want but i am guessing an appartment, food and stuff are about the same as BA. Health care is great is your legal, shopping much better and travelling much more interesting and cheaper. only poor people in Spain dont own à car, public transport in most places is decent but i Would never live in Spain without à car

For me the main reason to move to Spain would be to be closer to Home if I could not afford to spend 4 months à year in Europe

worst is also yet to come. Loads of small crime, violent crime still unlikely but this could change

thanks again Fifs2 for the info, so I understand Sevilla, Granada or Cadiz in terms of prices, cost of daily life, quality of services are more or less the same?
When I was living in Barcelona I heard so many times about the budget costs in Andalusia.
And yes Argento, for European standards is Spain a low budget destination, the crisis, even with the rise of the VAT, makes Spain indeed a cheaper country than the Netherlands par exemple.
Wanted to add some information of de days I've been now in Bogota, Colombia. Although it seems not as cheap as Ecuador or North-Peru (Trujillo, Huanchaco) it;s far more affordable than BsArs, even now with the blue dollar/euro. Friends of mine live here with a million of Colombian pesos a month: between 400 and 500 euro's including rent in a nice area and using multiple taxis during the day.
And besides, I've to say Colombians are like Costaricans: very friendly, well mannered, good educated; so different than in BsArs! This is my third time here and I never felt somebody was trying to get advantage of me 'cause I'm a foreigner meanwhile I as a Argentinian living abroad had that sense constantly in BsArs.

To fifs and StevePalermo, which of those cities in Spain can you live in without a car? What about the north of Spain? I've been dreaming of somewhere in Basque country... But I really don't want to have to worry about having a car...

Cadiz is easy to live without a car, in fact its better not to have one. In the casco historico (where you want to be living, the new part of town could be anywhere) the streets are narrow and everyone (almost) walks everywhere. A lot of people have scooters too, but its just a great place to walk around. And definitely less conservative than Seville or Jerez, the people really are friendly. To get elsewhere, its less than two hours on the train to Seville, and the trains are cheap, regular, and comfortable. From Jerez Ryanair flies to London, Barcelona and Frankfurt. Long distance buses go all over Spain.

I looked around Spain a long time before I decided to buy my place in Cadiz, and for me it was the best choice. Its a magnet for the Spanish in summer, but its busy, in a good sense, all year round. Very few non-Spanish live there, its not an ex-pat haven like the Costas. Rich in culture, the Carnival is incredible, and Semana Santa, great people, they speak Spanish, beautiful beaches, and property is pretty inexpensive right now, plus it has long term value unlike the costa rubbish. If anyone's interested in a 3 bed 70 m2 flat with roof terrace near the bay and two beautiful squares for around €130k mine could be available! I'm only half kidding. I've moved to Australia for family reasons, but love my place there.

ElQueso, only if you have a brief moment (you already helped a lot so that's appreciated), are the buses to Paraguay more or less a set time per day & night, 1 or 2 times each, or do they vary? Can you typically just show up before the right time, same day and go?

There are tens of bus lines that go to Paraguay at many different hours. Some are better than others. Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion is my wife's favorite, she also likes Crucero del Norte. There are various seating classes available. If you go by bus, get the Executive Semi-Cama or Full Cama. Anything of lesser quality will be uncomfortable and on different, older buses. Go through Clorinda - I can't remember the name of the city the other common route crosses, but it's through Entre Rios and crosses somewhere near Encarnacion. I think those are mostly older buses, but also a much longer trip to get to Asuncion. 24 hours that way as opposed to 18-20 hours through Clorinda.

I took the bus exactly one time, there on Nuestra Senora, back on Crucero.. It was not bad, really - except the trip back, the bus was so damned cold I actually caught a cold! The seating was a bit bigger than business class on a good airline, the seats fairly comfortable. There were movies and food service. A few stops where you would have time to stretch your legs a few minutes. But it was TWENTY HOURS! Ouch. I just don't like to sit still that long. It drives me crazy. I did an airline trip that long, once, when I went to India from Houston with a stop in Paris. Yuck. Yuck.

On a side note, I usually drive now, myself. I like to have a car in Paraguay and renting is relatively expensive, particularly when looking at the kilometer limits and I usually have to drive to the family's place outside of Concepcion, 350 kilometers from Asuncion. I make the trip from here to Asuncion usually in about 13-14 hours, driving straight through. I can handle that kind of time because I'm driving. And it's a helluva lot cheaper than paying for plane or bus tickets for myself, my wife, my sister-in-law and her cousin and a rental car, even with the price of gas and maintenance...

An hour and fifty minutes to Asuncion via plane. Unless you just want the experience (and I can understand that, once), I wouldn't do it by bus. you don't really see a lot. After you get past Rosario, it all looks pretty much the same with a couple of repeating variations, although the flora does change the more north you get.

At the end of last year, the last time I know of that someone bought bus tickets to Asuncion, it was $900 pesos round trip. The blue rate and official rate were pretty close at the time, and the USD cost was about $211 at the official rate of roughly 4.25 (working from memory). We sent our sister-in-law back to visit family around the same time for a $230 USD round trip, non stop flight on TAM (bought about a month in advance).

And do you know of any budget hotels, sub-US$20? May just have to wait and see while there.

I personally don't, but I can find out from my wife if you really want. When she first started traveling back to legalize things and conduct various business in Asuncion, she would stay in hotels that were about that cheap, or even a bit cheaper perhaps. I always tried to tell her to stay in a decent hotel, but she was so used to being poor that she couldn't imagine paying even $35 a night!! She used to call me up the next day and complain - tired, sleepy, with hundreds of itches, having been kept awake all night by the fleas constantly biting her. Every one of them she had that problem. I'd stay away.

However, there is a good hotel called the Asuncion Palace. It's run by two sisters, very nice ladies. Last time I stayed there, about a year ago, they were remodeling the top floor, with plans to do the others (three floors total, something like 25 rooms). I stayed in a normal-sized remodeled room, and my buddy who was with me stayed in a remodeled suite. Nicely done remodeling, tiled floors with a couple of rugs (which I love! I hate carpets - I'm allergic to dust and sneeze all the time). nice beds, good TVs, etc. Good-sized rooms. Just out of the center, still well in downtown. At the time, the regular room was $35 USD a night, the suite something like $42. Book ahead, because it's a popular hotel.

There are a few more like that, I can't remember their names right off-hand. That's the best one, the others are of various qualities. But they are very easy to find online, just do a little searching at the 3-star level.

My favorite hotel is downtown, right in the center, near some good shopping. It's called Las Margaritas, a 4-star hotel. It was just built about 5-6 years ago if I remember correctly. Modern, good restaurant, good, efficient, friendly staff. Pool on the roof with a grill and a workout room. A suite is around $90 USD, a regular room about $70 if I remember correctly. I was just there in July for winter vacation and stayed a couple of days coming and going.

Sorry, just one more. How's Asuncion for shipping small items out? We know BA is very expensive. Have a couple things so maybe might wait until if in Paraguay.

I'm not sure, really. The only thing I ever sent from Paraguay internationally was a FedEx package with a manual in it. It cost $65 USD to send to Peru. That same package was being returned, having cost $110 USD to send from Peru to Asuncion originally. Not sure what the cost of something like that would be to, say, the States or Europe.

Wow again. Thank you! Doesn't go unnoticed. I was going to send a short PM thinking that maybe the bus question just got buried in the thread. Logged on here, checked and there was you're once again very thorough reply, covering the 3 questions. Just wanted to say thanks.
I can relate to the bus thing having done the Falls before, and also a loop down and back to Tierra del Fuego.
Possibly wanting to avoid now the flying due to luggage, bothers and the like. But maybe it is more sensible in some ways.

Yes can you ask your wife about some of those hotels? I'll just sleep in the bathtub. :D But seriously, just so I have as backups just in case a couple others are booked out. Can't really reserve right now as too much is up in the air.

Thanks for the package info. Seems like several places in south america are fairly costly for shipping. May just go ahead and try from here.

I'm sure you also have used the Asuncion airport enough. Decent enough for getting to other central & south america destinations, and even the US, or better to route by way of Sao Paolo and then on. I can of course search the airfares online, just looking for someone's personal experience. I suppose in general, just wondering if Asuncion airport is large enough for those matters.

Best to you.

mariano-BCN,
Thanks for the current Bogota info. Helpful for sure. Knowing there are the values elsewhere sure make it more of a pull to move on. And Bogota is for example not some dump. I liked it quite well there. So it's not always a "you get what you pay for" type thing (low cost-low value). For example, BA not so long ago was quite low cost (for the €, $, etc) and yet you were getting more than you paid for in this sense.
In my particular case currently in BA I'm putting up with some negative matters and it's also costing as well whereas I could at least be paying less elsewhere.
Sure there are some aspects to miss about the place, but also aspects to be relieved to be away from. And you may actually gain in other locations. Can be the case in several places, just depends on the person, the station in life, path, particular environment, etc. We do our best on the forums to help each other, and people can help by sharing their experiences, opinions, etc, but in the end it can come down to... Well, you get the idea.

However, there is a good hotel called the Asuncion Palace. It's run by two sisters, very nice ladies.

I was on a budget traveling around S.America on my visa runs from BsAs and used this hotel a few times. Comfortable, friendly and good value. Would also recommend flying there, book in advance and there should be some good deals. I did the bus journey once, and even on my pretty tight budget wouldn't do it again.

I'm heading to the south of Colombia now and discovered the town called Tulua, 2 hrs from the city Cali. It's a small city with an increasing expat-population though to it's good climate, health resources, friendly people (for sure much more friendly than the average porteño but hey that's not difficult) and low cost of living. The town has cinemas, two huge malls, markets and it looks safe to me.
I'm spending no more than 13 euros a day including renting.
There're even some vegetarian places here. And a welcoming text in several places in the city: "En Tulua nadie es extraño", indeed: you don't feel like you're a stranger here and nobody tried to take advantage of me as a foreigner meanwhile in BsArs I've to pay first world prices for crap services and goods.
From here I'll head to Pasto and then to Ecuador and then back to Bogota to take the flight to BsArs. Hope to have information about Ecuador a few days.

Tez I never met anyone who didnt LOVE San - Sebastian and Bilbao and we did when we visited. We certainly thought about those as new home options except we didnt want to add another language for the kids. They are both fine without a car as theyre well served with transport links but of course nowhere near the regular bus service etc of Bsas that spoils us all with so many routes, options and frequency..

Ill be the first one then to say that i didnt like Bilbao at all! I love many places in Spain, but Basque Country doesnt do much for me. The second i got there i felt the town as depressing (Bilbao) and the Basque nationalistic feelings as too in your face and aggressive. Its also the most rainy part of Spain, and being from a rainy country, thats not something i look for when i get out.

Argentina WILL soon become again a budget destination ...!! Destinations with a Country Risks over 600 points are prime Budget destinations, namely Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ecuador, Argentina, and Venezuela.

Ambito Financiero reports today, that a year from now the official dollar will be $5.65 pesos, assuming as a minimum the same spread as today with the Blue would place it at $7,70 :rolleyes: Based on predictions by the Argentine Finance Institute. If it's a lineal slope in March should be $7.10 . Hold on to your dollars

If these predictions were to come true, that would mean an increase of around 18% per year. If we compare that to the 35% inflation predictions for the next year it seems like it would twice more expensive to live in Argentina. How would that be a budget destination?

Back