Lower-Cost Alternatives to BA?

To Philip: I agree it's a bit harsh, but I wouldn't put it aside as being untrue. Right now with the mess in Europe and particularly Greece one argument I've heard/read several times for dropping the Euro in Greece is that it will encourage tourism and bring money. It's not exactly the plan to make them poor in order to get money, but it's an outcome that I'm fairly certain doesn't escape anyone... Isn't it similar to a country manipulating the currency, not letting it get too strong, in order to encourage exports? Also there's government manipulation to keep a country's labor costs low. Thailand for example benefits from paying their workers next to nothing, so they can make things cheaply and export them "competitively." If the Thais were a wealthier people, they wouldn't accept such low pay and thus the companies wouldn't be so competitive in the market.

Without going on much more and changing the topic of the thread, I'd say it's not a nonsense statement at all.

Reactions: Joe
Am I the only one to find this to be a most remarkable statement?

Or is it the case that everybody who has read it actually tacitly believes this to be true?

Well I don't believe it! and I question the moral degeneration of someone who propagates such turpitude

Quite apart from that it's nonsense

This debate on Ethics and Moral Issues should be moved to a new thread.

With that said and not agreeing with the initial statement must recognize that has some partial truth in it, without judgement on moral values

One of the benefits of corrupt/Inept governments makes for budget destinations for travelers -
sad but true...

Point in case are the inept Governments of the following countries that made them Prime destinations for Travelers

Greece's pending default and fall from Euro
Argentina's default in 2001
Cuba low cost of travel destination
Eastern Europe countries before the Fall of the Wall
Venezuela Xchange Controls with 100 % spread
Vietnam as prime tourist destination
Spain in the 60'
And so On

Joe, you can't do visa runs to Morocco unless you want to stay there for 3 months. If I recall correctly, a non-EU citizen is allowed 3 months in all the Schengen zone as a tourist and then is required to leave that zone for 3 months. But check the net, things may be different.
I thought Barcelona was nice but they say it's one of the more expensive spots in Spain.

Arlean, thanks for sharing your info about Paraguay.

Something else, not complaining, but just mentioning, the other day, paid 20 pesos for one mango from Brasil! I didn't notice until after. May seem petty, but I sure miss the $US0.25-$0.50 mangos in Brasil, Central America and I'm sure still in Paraguay, Ecuador, etc.
Add in things like coconuts and other niceties. Again, for me, the costs of living are a key factor. Accomodations and foods. For my current budget, just prefer not to sress over those basics, nor miss out when I could just easily be elsewhere.
If I had more (or there was a major change in the exchange rate here, with little inflation increase) I'd most likely just stay here.
Obviously I am very grateful for not being homeless, nor being stuck in a spot, etc. Just saying I have the chance at least to be in other locations and is the reason for the topic.

ElQueso, only if you have a brief moment (you already helped a lot so that's appreciated), are the buses to Paraguay more or less a set time per day & night, 1 or 2 times each, or do they vary? Can you typically just show up before the right time, same day and go?
And do you know of any budget hotels, sub-US$20? May just have to wait and see while there.
Sorry, just one more. How's Asuncion for shipping small items out? We know BA is very expensive. Have a couple things so maybe might wait until if in Paraguay.

Thanks again.

There are quite a few options. It just depends on the lifestyle you are looking for. Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay and Peru are all good options. I personally found Colombia not to be that cheap. But maybe i'm just broke.

Joe, you can't do visa runs to Morocco unless you want to stay there for 3 months. If I recall correctly, a non-EU citizen is allowed 3 months in all the Schengen zone as a tourist and then is required to leave that zone for 3 months. But check the net, things may be different.
I thought Barcelona was nice but they say it's one of the more expensive spots in Spain.

Arlean, thanks for sharing your info about Paraguay.

Something else, not complaining, but just mentioning, the other day, paid 20 pesos for one mango from Brasil! I didn't notice until after. May seem petty, but I sure miss the $US0.25-$0.50 mangos in Brasil, Central America and I'm sure still in Paraguay, Ecuador, etc.
Add in things like coconuts and other niceties. Again, for me, the costs of living are a key factor. Accomodations and foods. For my current budget, just prefer not to sress over those basics, nor miss out when I could just easily be elsewhere.
If I had more (or there was a major change in the exchange rate here, with little inflation increase) I'd most likely just stay here.
Obviously I am very grateful for not being homeless, nor being stuck in a spot, etc. Just saying I have the chance at least to be in other locations and is the reason for the topic.

ElQueso, only if you have a brief moment (you already helped a lot so that's appreciated), are the buses to Paraguay more or less a set time per day & night, 1 or 2 times each, or do they vary? Can you typically just show up before the right time, same day and go?
And do you know of any budget hotels, sub-US$20? May just have to wait and see while there.
Sorry, just one more. How's Asuncion for shipping small items out? We know BA is very expensive. Have a couple things so maybe might wait until if in Paraguay.

Thanks again.

Argento you are a correct about the Schenken zone regulations for non EU-citizens.
Hold your horses by January 2013 the Blue rate here will make it marginal to move elsewhere...(I hope)
Regards

When I moved to BsAs in 1999, the dollar was equal to the peso. I rented places then for what people are paying today. Argentines seem to accept inflation like changes in the weather. I remember a porteno telling me about 800% inflation. And we complain about 35% today.

Having the best in life as cheaply as possible seems to be part of the American lifestyle that we carry along wherever we go. One can reduce consumption and live on less. I think that's better than moving to another country. The grass always seems greener elsewhere.

I live on social security and do not work. I'd be working if I lived in the USA today.

I have been to all of the aforementioned cities. Yes, each has its calling points. Paraguay does offer cheaper electronics so go there if that is your need. Do you like extreme heat then go to Paraguay too. The temperatures there are similar to those in Posadas where I have also lived too. The cities in Colombia all offer some things or something but alas not what is offered overall in Buenos Aires. Wake up and smell the roses.(and on this note go to Rosedale Park) -- BA has its problems. Expats can solve most of it if you obtain your funds via Xoom or by way of other countries. Many prices are higher here than in the mother country too. you need to sort out for yourself what is important. Cuenca, Ecuador has a nice expat community however the temperatures there might not be fitting to our culture in BA too. BA offers a lot to everyone. Have you lived in Paris? Compare life there to BA. I feel too one should not live one's life strictly with other expats as the cultural community in which we live here offers many other opportunities too. Take advantage of the country in which we are living too. You will then benefit at the worse -- two - fold... it is all up to you how you wish to live ..... or how you wish to complain... just some thoughts on life..

Am I the only one to find this to be a most remarkable statement?

Or is it the case that everybody who has read it actually tacitly believes this to be true?

Well I don't believe it! and I question the moral degeneration of someone who propagates such turpitude

Quite apart from that it's nonsense

This is really an interesting topic and I apologize for inadvertently hijacking it.

So I started another thread to discuss my punishment for a gross violation of political correctness: http://baexpats.org/topic/23497-corruption-and-cost-of-living-and-expat-destinations/

I have been to all of the aforementioned cities. Yes, each has its calling points. Paraguay does offer cheaper electronics so go there if that is your need. Do you like extreme heat then go to Paraguay too. The temperatures there are similar to those in Posadas where I have also lived too. The cities in Colombia all offer some things or something but alas not what is offered overall in Buenos Aires. Wake up and smell the roses.(and on this note go to Rosedale Park) -- BA has its problems. Expats can solve most of it if you obtain your funds via Xoom or by way of other countries. Many prices are higher here than in the mother country too. you need to sort out for yourself what is important. Cuenca, Ecuador has a nice expat community however the temperatures there might not be fitting to our culture in BA too. BA offers a lot to everyone. Have you lived in Paris? Compare life there to BA. I feel too one should not live one's life strictly with other expats as the cultural community in which we live here offers many other opportunities too. Take advantage of the country in which we are living too. You will then benefit at the worse -- two - fold... it is all up to you how you wish to live ..... or how you wish to complain... just some thoughts on life..

But how many expats have unlimited supply of dollars abroad? And what do you do if you earn in pesos? Would you save in pesos and spend your dollars?

Blue rate looks great for people with savings abroad or who make dollars, but thats not majority

Would it be fair to say that Argentina is still a budget destination at the blue rate but one with first world prices at the official rate?

Back