Macaroni and cheese

BAwithkids

Registered
I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know of a place in BA where you can buy American-style boxed macaroni and cheese (i.e. Annie's, Kraft)? My kids are really craving it!

Thanks!

Make your own. You can find cheddar and other mild cheeses at any supermarket.

Havent seen mac and cheese or anything imported, but there are some packets of dry pasta n sauce, not sure if it's by Knorr or another brand but seems to me there was a cheese one. Will check again next time I go to the supermarket.

cbonanni said:
Make your own. You can find cheddar and other mild cheeses at any supermarket.

I completely agree, in theory. However, I suspect my kids are not alone in finding the boxed stuff - not the highest quality, I realize - a different food category than the homemade stuff. They've been real troopers about trying new food here, but, for little kids, there's nothing quite like that taste of home :).

Check the Knorr pasta with sauces, they go under a diff name but have the same flavor. I have been making some very good mac and cheese using Lucchetti´s coditos and Finlandia Cheddar Light ( similarflavorand texture to Velveeta )

Personally I've tried and hated the boxed brands of mac and cheese here (especially coming from a taste for Annie's). I'd try Nikad's suggestion for a more fakey version than a homemade with noodles and the finlandia "cheddar", but otherwise maybe make an order from Amazon or get a visitor to bring you a stash. I have never seen imported mac and cheese here. Best of luck.

MizzMarr said:
Personally I've tried and hated the boxed brands of mac and cheese here (especially coming from a taste for Annie's). I'd try Nikad's suggestion for a more fakey version than a homemade with noodles and the finlandia "cheddar", but otherwise maybe make an order from Amazon or get a visitor to bring you a stash. I have never seen imported mac and cheese here. Best of luck.

Thanks MizzMarr. We are definitely planning to have visitors bring us some, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask in case some random store actually sells it! Sounds like we're out of luck on that front.

My account is acting wonky, so I hope you can see this!
My son is twelve and misses Kraft mac 'n cheese greatly. We have gone the Mama Lucchetti route, but it is really not the same.
There is a jarred, processed 'cheese' called Cheezy Spred ( yes it really is spelled that way!) that when heated and mixed milk is like Velveeta. Of course, it probably isn't the healthiest thing, but if your kids are needing that taste of home, a little splurge is probably ok.
I have found it at Carrefour the two times I have bought it.

nikad said:
Check the Knorr pasta with sauces, they go under a diff name but have the same flavor. I have been making some very good mac and cheese using Lucchetti´s coditos and Finlandia Cheddar Light ( similarflavorand texture to Velveeta )

Does this Finlandia cheddar still exist? I assume it's soft cheese like the other Finlandia products? I'd rather use actual cheese, but never found a cheddar that impressed me. Or, what cheese do you use to make it homemade here? After 5.5 years of not really caring, I have found myself craving Kraft's navy blue box variety. Thought about asking my parents to just mail me the cheese powder straight from the box, but figured I might try making my own first. Oh, and I found this post which cracked me up: http://thebillfold.com/2012/05/cheap-eats-forget-kraft-macaroni-cheese-and-make-your-own/

I agree nothing quite like the Kraft's macaroni and cheese. Our kids loved it! In living in BA for 8 years I never came across it in the stores.

Once in a while when we went to Punta del Este we'd find it at the Tienda Inglese if you happen to be over there.

But mostly when I came back to the USA for business meetings, I'd just bring in tons of boxes with me. I'd fill up a large suitcase with food. Never did I have customs ever hassle me.

A few times they would ask why I was bringing so much food and I just told them my kids had a food allergy to some foods in BA and these were the products they could eat and they just let me through.

Back