Making Friendships

The first couple of years here were hard for me. I can make friends with a fence post and having no friends was a new, and depressing, experience. I didn't know enough Spanish to really get out and about in the city and that really limited me on who I met. Most of my acquaintances were through my wife, and I really didn't like them very much.

Once my Spanish improved and I got more confidence in exploring on my own I started discovering the city, finding and getting involved in activities that I like. Through that I'd meet people with similar interests and started making my own friends and doing my own thing.

I suspect you guys are hanging around each other all the time, yes? That could be a limitation on meeting new people.

I have a ton of Argentine friends. I have not had trouble making friends here at all- part of it is shared interests, certainly- I have many friends who are artists, architects, and designers. I have no doubt I will, eventually, have blacksmith friends as well, but most of them live out of the centro.

I find that if you share passions, Argentines will open up- but if you just are into idle chit chat, there is no way to break thru the veneer.

I have no friends, so probably not the most qualified to give advice, but from how easily my husband makes friends, I'm thinking the trick is to join a group - especially sports or some small group activity or class. Something where you'll see these people often and ideally of a similar age. Making friends by simply striking up a conversation at a bar or cafe is less likely to go anywhere (not that it won't ever work, just that Argentines seem to focus in on present company.)

We have too many bloody friends! It was fine when I wasn't working but now I'm knackered most of the time, getting half a dozen invitations per day to events that I know I wont make it to is just plain irritating. Where do these people get there energy from, its not as though most of them are younger than me....but seriously though, there is a certain relief in knowing you will never get bored, that your friends have lots to do and plenty to talk about and that you can still go out regularly without having a ton of money.

Me, I just like to cook dinner and have them all tell me what I've been missing, till 4 in the morning and the wine runs out!

I don't really have any super-close friends in BA either, in part because I don't live there year-round. But still, I don't find meeting people to be that difficult. As already mentioned, take some language classes. You will definitely meet other ex-pats if you go to a language school. Or take private classes and chances are you will befriend your Spanish teacher. I've met quite a few people at the various tango classes I've taken...

I've met quite a few people by virtue of having a routine, i.e., I go to the same cafe on a regular basis. After awhile, I start to recognize the other regulars and they recognize me. I'm always quite friendly with service staff and the people at the kioskos (especially when I used to smoke) and while I wouldn't consider these people friends, it's good for day-to-day sociability.

There are also activities arranged on this board-- I think there is a book club that meets once a month? That might be a good place to start.

Yes, the book Club! I've actually made more friends from the Book Club than I have any other activity! By the way, we are reading "motorcycle diaries" by Ernesto Che Guevara and the next meeting is Wednesday evening, Nov. 27 at 7:00 You can PM me for details/exact address. The meetings are in English. I will also be posting a reminder thread shortly in Expat life forum.

Hi guys,

We are in a very similar situation to yours. We would love to meet you!!! Send me your email address and we could certainly get together!!!!

We have too many bloody friends! It was fine when I wasn't working but now I'm knackered most of the time, getting half a dozen invitations per day to events that I know I wont make it to is just plain irritating. Where do these people get there energy from, its not as though most of them are younger than me....but seriously though, there is a certain relief in knowing you will never get bored, that your friends have lots to do and plenty to talk about and that you can still go out regularly without having a ton of money.

Me, I just like to cook dinner and have them all tell me what I've been missing, till 4 in the morning and the wine runs out!
we love to cook also. Our speciality is more Thai. Maybe you could swap some Vietnamese for some Thai?

Ill be friends with you :)

I ve lived here for 2 years (im not originally from this city) and in the beggining i found it hard to make friends, but then i started doing things i enjoy like cultural/gatherings, poeting readings, parties organized by writers (those are surpisingly fun from an outsider point of view, i mean writers like to PARTY here!), etc, and i met amazing people and now i have my group of friends! I have a group of people i know or see in parties, and a group of very close friends that i can count in, we travel together, have eachothers back, call in any emergency, etc. My best friend is a gay guy from here, he is the best, one of the nicest people i ever met in my life and super fun!

Im a girl, 31, nice, fun, love to meet new people, argentinian.

Hola chica-argentina, donde has estado todos estos meses? No veia tu presencia por lo tanto echaba de menos tus postes. Sois ahora fanatica de el anime japones? Tu avatar es muy gracioso. Solo un comentario amigable..

Well guys, it has been just over a year since my post of "Making Friendships" dated November 7, 2013.

Oh my God what a year! After wasting valuable time, hundred of dollars, (not pesos jajaja) and entertaining countless numbers of expats in my home my advice would be to keep your distance. Although I have met a few very sweet people and maintain good friendships with them. You know who you are. :) I have had the pleasure and honor of meeting Spanish royalty (actually from Ecuador). A direct quote from the Royals "You don't know who I am, Google me" I did and nothing popped up :confused: A pot head from San Francisco and a bitch from Oakland (depends on the day you ask). Sometimes Oakland sometimes Detroit). I have to admit that 2014 has been a very interesting year. There are many lonely people out there. Unfortunately the people I met were generally looking for a home cooked meal. Not friendship :(

The Silver Lining - I got married to my love of many years in Argentina and got my DNI :cool: (so did he). So, all in all, a very good year! Let's hope 2015 is better, but this time without the expat drama. And OMG they are so good with the drama! Happy New Year to all!

Back