Many Dead In Paris Tonight

I wonder if from now on, the Europeans will stop criticizing the USA for their school shootings, etc.
This is more than all the shootings that happened there in decades.The solution?Implement the CCW as in the USA!!!
Henry, this comment is completely off the wall. This horrific tragedy was committed by fanatics who have declared war on civilisation as we know it.
There's a huge chasm of difference as well you know.

Hopefully the Europeans will not let themselves be terrorized.
Xenophobia will not go off the charts.
Political opportunists will not be allowed to swoop in and feast on people's fears.

Since the obvious intention of the attacks was to terrorize, they undoubtedly created fear and will continue to do so.

I fear there will be more attacks in Paris and have since the Carlie Hebdo attack in January.

While I do think this will give the "political opportunists" a reason to demonize foreigners, especially the refugees (mostly Muslim) who have been flooding into Europe, I also think it is highly likely that some (if not most or all) of the terrorists who struck last night will turn out to be young French citizens who were born in France and have been radicalized by religious fanatics, either in person in the Middle East or online.

In 2014 Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, the spokesman for ISIS, called for "the death of both soldiers and civilians in Australia, France, Canada and the US."

http://www.theguardi...nst-australians

As I watch CNN this morning I am amazed that last night's death toll wasn't much higher. The suicide bombers at the stadium took very few lives compared to their counterparts in the Middle East. The horror would have been even greater if those who blew themselves up outside the stadium had done so at the Basilica Sacré-Coeur or Notre-Dame Cathedral.

Unfortunately, Churches like these are probably near the top of the "to do" list. Islam (and now ISIS in particular) has a history of destroying churches and temples and have even converted some of them into mosques.

Not all French people have been terrorized by ISIS:

"A new, widely-covered poll shows that a full 16% of French people have positive attitudes toward ISIS. That includes 27% of French between the ages of 18-24. Anne-Elizabeth Moutet of Newsweek wrote, “This is the ideology of young French Muslims from immigrant backgrounds…these are the same people who torch synagogues.”

http://www.breitbart...dical-minority/

ISIS has claimed credit for the attacks and this morning the President of France vowed to retaliate:

http://nypost.com/20...ed-out-by-isis/

PS: If terrorists ever do strike at sites such as the Basilica Sacré-Coeur or Notre-Dame Cathedral (even blowing themselves up outside) they will not only create terror, they will probably stop most of the tourism in France (30 million tourists per year).

Just last week I heard a radio talk show host in the USA say he wanted his children to see Notre-Dame before it becomes too dangerous. I remember that earlier this year he said that this might be the "last year" to do so.

Perhaps he should have listened to himself.

In France the racial tensions are strong and old. I find it tenuous to link this to the current refugee crisis, or at least to blame it on refugess in the country. France has not accepted as many refugees as other countries, so at most this is an attack for that. However, it is not to do with the refugee crisis at all, this is simply because (for reasons I don't know) Paris and France seem to be relatively easy targets right now. Three attacks in one year. I share the worry that this will become a refugee debate, which will only mask over the deeper issues.

I was thinking of visiting Paris next year. Now sure now.

It was just reported that a Syrian passport was recovered on (or near) the body of one of last night's suicide bombers (at the stadium).

Un vrai cauchemar! Paris, Palermo, Prague or Palmyra, a horrendous act against the innocent!

Back