Men's Shoes

Matt84

Registered
Where can I buy normal, semi durable, men's shoes for less than 100 dollars?
I stupidly bought a pair at El Burgues in Gurruchaga (horrible place with disgusting employees, worse even than its pretentious name), and the sole was glued not stitched and it simply fell apart after two days. When I changed the pair (after first demanding my money back) for a new one, the new shoe broke on the backside as soon as i tried to fit my foot in it. So I kinda feel like they re joking, and now i have no idea where to buy decent shoes. The ones I got costed 1100 pesos or so. At the same store they sell stitched "de vestir" ones for no less than 2000 pesos......
because shoes are obviously a luxury in the land of alpargatas
so, there's gotta be a good place somewhere, probably far from Palermo.
thanks!

This is a good place for shoes:
DAZ distribuidora, Avenida de Mayo 753 (between Piedras & Chacabuco)
It's a manufacturer of shoes and this is their retail store. They have very nice and well made shoes. I have some shoes that I bought from them when I came to visit Argentina in 2004 (when they cost $48 pesos) which now sell for $700 pesos. Most styles are between $450 - $800 pesos, but they have some less expensive as well and some high end for more. The store has been there forever and was just recently renovated inside, so that is a good sign I believe. Check it out.

Hey David,
Since I have been out of San Telmo for over a year, I don´t know for sure any longer but there was a very exceptional artisan name Hugo who hand made shoes, boots, and leather goods. He made me two pair of Texas style boots by hand for $1500 total and considering I have a size 13 foot that was pretty damn cheap. Apart from the fact that prices may have changed, the boots are still as good as new and are in great shape and like walking on air. The guy´s name is Hugo, and his last name believe it or not is Zapato, and he used to be in the Defensa Street Fair every Sunday usually at Defensa and Mexico, or Chile. I highly recommend him!

Thank you David! I'll definitely go to DAZ.
Thanks Jack, I might lookf for Mr Zapato at the fair one of these days if I can deal with my irrational fear of crowds. Does he have a shop or contact that you know of?

Zara is chinese crap.
Go to see the nice guys at Correa- they have off the shelf shoes, in your price range, that will be better made than anything you have ever owned.
Or, for a bit more, they will custom make shoes to fit you, in a week or two, usually.
John Lobb, in London, will do the same thing for around $3000 to $5000 US dollars.
Correa has quite a few pairs of shoes for 1000 to 2500 pesos, made to order.
My wife had a pair of loafers made in January, (factor in inflation) for around 800 pesos- custom, with her choices of colors and design.
The idea of paying 200% or more markup for chinese shoes that cost the original buyer five dollars (of course, they bought 100,000 pairs at once to get that price) versus paying about the same price for handmade works of art- well, there is no question what I would do.
Plus, where else can you get some carpincho desert boots?

Mario Bravo 750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPoFnSHDsE

Zara is chinese crap.
Go to see the nice guys at Correa- they have off the shelf shoes, in your price range, that will be better made than anything you have ever owned.
Or, for a bit more, they will custom make shoes to fit you, in a week or two, usually.
John Lobb, in London, will do the same thing for around $3000 to $5000 US dollars.
Correa has quite a few pairs of shoes for 1000 to 2500 pesos, made to order.
My wife had a pair of loafers made in January, (factor in inflation) for around 800 pesos- custom, with her choices of colors and design.
The idea of paying 200% or more markup for chinese shoes that cost the original buyer five dollars (of course, they bought 100,000 pairs at once to get that price) versus paying about the same price for handmade works of art- well, there is no question what I would do.
Plus, where else can you get some carpincho desert boots?

Mario Bravo 750
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPoFnSHDsE

I may stop by while I am in town. Hopefully they can do a size 13/47. :)

My older buddy once stopped in Bs As in one of his Lat Am entourage to gasp at those magnificent old architectures but then found
the Argentine made "calzado" as good as if they were made in fine Italia. So he saz. I have to go in and see if they can craft me a nice fitting shoes too!

o_0 I can't say i care for clothing in general (just so long as I can find good 100% cotton t-shirts and underwear), I'll wear what I find and will not spend a lot of money on clothing. Shoes are another matter.
I have 3 pairs of Dr. Martens Gibsens (2 pairs ankle boots, I shoes). One of those pairs of boots have lasted me well over 14 years, the other pairs are newer and I get them as I can from UK or Canada. They may not be the height of style anymore, but you can't beat their durability and usefulness.

Back