Mercado Libre with no DNI

It is a ML thing, not Argentina. Same thing happened in Chile. Could not register without a RUT (their DNI equivalent).

Sounds like you have more patience than me. After I messed with it I figured it was Argentina and probably broken.
Oh I remember writing a huge mail / rant to ML accusing them of xenophobia and discrimination etc... not sure if patience is the right word.

It seems as though I touched a nerve! It is amazing, so much time is wasted on the simplest things here in Argentina.

I didn't plan on spending the winter here so I've had to buy more than usual to prepare for the changing weather. The debit card limits here are very low so my bank's cap on spending was reached pretty easily. I had to go there in person yesterday to ask them to change the limit. Of course the teller told me it was not possible to change the limit and that I would have to call their help line to have any items approved on a case by case basis. A classic move to shift responsibility to someone else.

I figured I was making progress at least, but afterwards ML presented the latest obstacle. I have to hand it to Argentina, no matter how many problems you manage to solve there are always new ones waiting to be presented which you have not thought of. They are very creative. If anyone thinks this is not enough -- this is the short version, I could go on for pages but everyone here knows how it works.

My friend mentioned OLX as an alternative to ML. When I search on the site this morning it says, "Algo salió mal En este momento tenemos algunas dificultades. Intenta otra vez."

ML was working for me with my passport alone and everything seemed to work fine, although there would be the occasional request for DNI as antipodean mentioned. It always accepted the number with no additional test. But I think I bought too many things in the last week so some security check has been triggered. I've written them on Twitter and What's App a few hours ago but no responses. Worst case I will have a friend order from me and send pesos to their CBU. I suppose making a new account is also an option.

Argentina is great at making you learn the art of self control and patience. It's a form of discipline to not lose your shit here.

The debit card limits here are very low so my bank's cap on spending was reached pretty easily. I had to go there in person yesterday to ask them to change the limit. Of course the teller told me it was not possible to change the limit and that I would have to call their help line to have any items approved on a case by case basis. A classic move to shift responsibility to someone else.

Traditional banks are really terrible in Argentina. Their staff is often lazy and mostly incompetent.

Regarding the debit card limit: You can often change it online (depending on the bank). There is actually nothing to approve because the customer can set it how he/she wants (within the bank's limits). You would think a bank employee should know that.

There are some online banks that are not that bad and have decent online customer service. Brubank has worked well for me so far. Free ARS and USD account with Visa debit card. The other two are rebanking and wilobank.

For banks (or health insurance, EDENOR etc) I suggest to make the acquaintance of someone at the branch when you open the account. Chamuyar them and get their email and whatsapp. If you don't get a gnocci, absolutely everything can be solved almost instantly by a simple email or whatsapp and if necessary, incessant chats of "hola guapo/a, como estas?????". That is how I got my Santander spending limit increased amongst other things and also how I solved an issue with my Edenor factura and made a change to my OSDE plan. Generally I find many people willing to be extra helpful to foreigners here.

Just like ML the key to getting something done is finding a person with whom their is hope and latching on to them for dear life.

Regarding banking and debit cards for online purchases, a good option is Itaú. You can open it online with a DNI and get your debit card pretty quickly with a $30-$40k limit. Each month you get cash back depending on how much you spend and your balance is adjusted each month to keep up with inflation. Their online banking was a bit traumatic to start with, as was their phone help, but in the end the problem just sorted itself out without any explanation.

Brubank as lost refers to also issues credit cards to foreigners but with really low limits - which is good for those times you want to do an online transaction and they do not accept debito.

Brubank as lost refers to also issues credit cards to foreigners but with really low limits - which is good for those times you want to do an online transaction and they do not accept debito.

I think you mean Wilobank with the credit card. Brubank currently does not seem to issue credit cards. I tried Wilobank but I did no like them that much. Outdated interface of the app and website. Buying dollars has never worked. Their only plus is the credit card you mention.

I think you mean Wilobank with the credit card. Brubank currently does not seem to issue credit cards. I tried Wilobank but I did no like them that much. Outdated interface of the app and website. Buying dollars has never worked. Their only plus is the credit card you mention.
Correct! I always get these two mixed up in my mind.

I went to buy a secaropa from the store. I hand them my AR debit card and it is denied. I know there's plenty of money in the account. Turns out BBVA by default has the daily limit set super low. All I had to do was go on the home banking webpage and adjust the limits. The real problem was to make a change to your account you needed to enter SMS code from your phone. During these days I was in the field without any cellular signal and these texts will not transmit over WIFI calling. I had to wait 3 days before I got back within cell range. Just the little annoyances that add up.

Or when I bought a refrigerator and it showed up to the apartment in the back of a busted kango laying on it's side (never transport a fridge on it's side, I spent damn near $1500USD on this fridge). I wasn't there so they guys played hardball with my wife and said they were just going to leave it on the sidewalk unless she gave them a tip. So the portero came out and ripped them a new one for being dicks. She gets it up to the apartment and the guys again insist that they give her a tip. (we're americans she would have given them one anyway...) They were just assholes about it and she was really frustrated. I told her now she knows what I go through on a daily basis and why I have a short fuse with local service providers....

Last edited:
Back