Mexican restaurant?

Napoleon said:
It is to "Mexican food" if you're from Chihuahua or Coahuila states. That would be the same as saying "locro isn't even Argentine food", because it's not a milanesa, overcooked pasta, dead cow, or pizza/empanadas.

Horseshit!

Tex-Mex is much more stew/chili based than what you are calling Mexican food because out in the prairie, the vaqueros didn't have the same food at their disposal as someone in a town and therefore had to make food that required just adding water & fire.

Now, adding a half o' pound of cheddar cheese to everything isn't exactly authentic, but refried beans, chili con carne sauce, cooking up whatever you could find and then throwing it into a tortilla... (de maiz o trigo, again, whatever you could find...) that's as MEXICAN as it is Texan.

Are you going to tell me that fried fish tacos (Baja style) IS Mexican food or ISN'T? I'm interested in hearing this explanation as well.

Is this Mexican food or not?

DSC_2377-taqueria-burrito.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Burritos: Son de tortilla de harina de trigo. Incluyen como ingrediente cualquier guiso acompañado con frijoles refritos. Son originarios del estado de Chihuahua.

Do not disparage that which you know little to nothing about.

speedy-gonzalez-laboratorio.jpg

Well bro you can hang out on the prairie and eat Tex Mex all you want to,its not for me and in the east LA barrios of Lincoln Heights,Highland Park and Montecito Heights you will find not a single place trying to serve Tex-Mex up,and seeing as how LA has more Mexicans than Guadalajara,I tend to view that as real Mexican food.

A Mexican friend living here once told me Frida Kahlo in Belgrano is the best you can get in the city. Haven't tried it yet, but he might have said it for a reason...

I think their are two big problems here:
First, mexican food includes a lot of different foods from Ensenadas fish tacos, mole poblano, mole xiqueño, pescado a la veracruzana, cocteles campechanos, quesadillas de huitlacoche, bistec encebollado, tacos de guisado, sopa de lima, tacos al pastor, too nopales asados, jícama enchilada, cocadas, alegrías, caldo tlalpeño, barbacoa hidalguense, agua de horchata, tamales de maíz, tamales de hoja de plátano, chilaquiles verdes, tortas de milanesa, enfrijoladas, cochinita pibil, papadzules... and probably Iḿ not even mentioning a 5% of it variety.
Now, the issue is that outside Mexico very little is known.
I still havent found a restaurant were I can say I feel at home, but I think that being specific about what food is served and has been tasted in each restaurant can help you find what you are looking for.

The only thing that occurs to me is

a)buy a ticket to Mexico and start a one year gastronomic tour inside the country :p

b) Letś adventure to make some mexican food, even though many ingredients cant be found in this latitudes.

I know eventually Iĺl get so homesick that I will start cooking expat-mexican, so, any hints for buying ingredients will be well received.

Promise as soon I feel ready(proper kitchen available, some extra time and money), guided by my motherś and grandmotherś recipes, Iĺl post an invitation in order to make a big taquiza for those who miss or want to learn a little about mexican food. We could start a Mexico Fan club, :p

Again, the limits are in the ingredients but maybe we will make it good :p

(Hum, I think I totally didnt answer the question, sorry)

I have been to practically every Mexican restaurant in BsAs (literally) and I haven't found one that is great. As mentioned, I think your best bet is cooking at home - the majority of the ingredients you need can be found in Chinatown.

Re: Lupita - if you go, go on a Fri and sit at the bar. The bartender Alejandro there makes the most AMAZING drinks - I think he is the best bartender in BsAs and its one of the few places I've been where the cocktails are works of art. Usually I just ask him to make whatever he wants and I have yet to be disappointed. My drinks have included garnishings like peppers, fruits, flowers, etc but seriously - absolutely out of this world. I think their food has improved a great deal lately but it's definitely "upscale" mexican fusion. That being said, I had a cordero quesadilla that was fantastic last night.

Back