Misuse, Mispelling Of English

I saw a teenage girl walking down the street wearing sweat pants with "SLUT" written across her butt. I stopped her and asked her what she thought it meant. She said it meant "cool" or "chic".

You should have seen her face when broke the bad news. Even Google Translate knows what it means.
I'll bet you were disappointed when she didn't know the meaning.

Barfy burgers and Mr. Cock's baby clothing come to mind, though I'm not sure if you would classify them as mis-translations, just a poor choice for any English speaking customers.

Quite off-topic but not that much. My grandparents (and my mother) used to live in the US back in the 1950s, but they were speaking French between them.

One day they go to the zoo at NY, and my aunt sees seals in a pond and starts saying very loudly "maman, des phoques ! des phoques ! des phoques" (Americans around looking at them oddly...)

1457519_488409044591374_1989289715_n.jpg

Sometimes I wonder why can't they take the time to make sure the signs and menus are correctly translated. Even Buquebus bathrooms have translation mistakes. Don't get me started on the little tags for hotel breakfast items.

There's a cafe in Unicenter called Biutiful. I see what they were going for, but just seems like they didn't care to use a dictionary. There's also a salon nearby called Beuitifull Hairs - way to fail at sounding high class.

The misuse of English is actually one of my pet peeves. Open mind or touch and go... Where do they get it from?

I did laugh for a good 5 minutes when I first heard of Mr. Cock.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gringoboy Expat Life 59
Back