money money money

anmara

Registered
Hello everyone!
I have another question on money exchange: I have (only) an Euro account and I have to pay my tuition fee in Argentina in USD. It's about 2000$.

What do you think is the cheapest way to do this?
Change Euros into Dollars in Europe, to withdraw it from my bank account when I arrive to Argentina (+ I don't have to travel with the money, - the last time I tried to withdraw Dollars in Buenos Aires it didn't work, any experiences?) or withdraw it with my Mastercard?
Thank you for your help!
Anna

Why do you have to pay an Argentine tuition fee in US$ when the national currency is Argentine pesos?
I find companies that price in US$ here increasingly irritating (not that that helps you!) as if certain services are somehow worth more if an expat/tourist is paying.
On a more useful note, if your account is in Euros, I would either bring US$ from home, draw out money (in pesos) from your Euro account in Argentina and exchange them for US$ here or just ask the school you will be attending if you can pay the peso value of whatever they charge in US$ and then withdraw the money here from your Euro account (shouldn't be a problem in any ATM) and save yourself the queue at the exchange bureau.

Ashley said:
and save yourself the queue at the exchange bureau.

It will probably also be a lot safer for you to do it before you arrive and you will not have to concern yourself with fake bills.

Come with 4 x 500 Euros bills (about 700 USD each), easy to carry in your wallet and when you arrive change them right away in the street named "Sarmiento".

Withdrawing the money from an ATM is a bad idea due to the fees.

Banks in Europe tend to give a better exchange rate... Euro to U$S. I would change your money into $'s there...

anmara said:
Hello everyone!
I have another question on money exchange: I have (only) an Euro account and I have to pay my tuition fee in Argentina in USD. It's about 2000$.

What do you think is the cheapest way to do this?
Thank you for your help!
Anna
The exchange rate for Euros in Argentina is horrible, you'll loose 20-25 centavos on each Euro, while the span buy/sell on U$S is only 5 centavos (because the peso is inofficially pegged to the U$S, albeit with a slow decline).

Make your exchange to U$S in Europa.

Back